Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How many miles a day can we go?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> How many miles a day can we go?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

500 - 600 miles a day no problem, all depends on your comfort level.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most I've driven our Class C in a day was 900 miles, left 9 am and got there around 12:30 am. Normally, I'd drive 700 - 800 miles in a day. We live in Southeast GA and have family in Southwest NJ. We've seen most of the sites along the way, and we just want to get to our destination. Our Class C had great road manners, no white knuckle driving and no exhaustion at the end of the day.

I'm still young, just turned 47 and have been driving this trip towing our HTT, driving the Class C and driving various cars/trucks for over 14 years. We started taking this journey driving through the night. Leave 8 pm and get there around 7 am, but that is tough. Now we usually leave 3 am and get there around 3 - 4 pm. I'm sure it will get harder as I get older, but right now it is not a problem at all.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I depends on how old you are and your ability to drive. When I was 21 I drove from Ct. to Miami straight through, took me 24 hrs. It took a whole day to recover. Mid 30's-50's with kids and a Hi top van I would leave Ct at 6:00 pm and drive until tired then wife would drive, basically 4 hrs off driving and then sleep for 4 hrs off and on. We made this trip twice a year for 52 years stopped only for gas and breakfast. Now that we are in our 70's and don't have to get back to work we stop half way after 10-12 hrs. If this is your first time there are some interesting stops along the way to see to break up the trip.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“IF” you are in good health, and can swap off driving every few hours, and “need” (restricted time) to cover a lot of ground quickly ......500 miles is “very” doable. However, 500 miles east of the Mississippi River is far different than 500 miles west of the Mississippi River......cities and traffic can make 500 feel like 1500miles. We’re crowding 70 years of age, and a few years ago made it from Northern Wyoming to South Louisiana, towing a 40 ft. 5th wheel..... in 2 days travel. Much harder than it was 20 years ago.....but, doable. Not recommended....but doable. Would I attempt the same trip down the east coast......probably not! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just cancelled our NH, Vt, Maine vacation for 7/26. My friends that live up there advised us to stay home bc local governments are taking this seriously. They do not have the hospital capacity to handle a severe outbreak.

NH, Vt. Maine, really don't want you in their state if you are traveling from FL or other infected states.
They update the laws/rules often, I would suggest you to stay on top of things as they might change while traveling to NH.
They have a attestation form to sign when you arrive . You can test negative today and retest tomorrow and be positive.

"Out-of-state visitors are asked to self-quarantine for 14 days or take a COVID-19 ... Visitors from New Hampshire and Vermont have been exempt from the rule ... received a negative COVID-19 test result, will quarantine in Maine for 14 days, ... The form must be provided during check-in at all Maine lodging, …

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Randster,

By now you should have figured out that there is no simple good answer to your question.

First, there are a few questions that you have to answer (honestly):
*Do you plan to enjoy the journey?
*Is the rig comfortable to sit in?
*Is the rig comfortable to drive?
*Will there be only one driver?
*Do you plan to use non-campgrounds for overnights?

So,
*If you plan to enjoy the journey, then you need to plan to take your time and look up interesting stops along the way. This can add a lot of time to the travel, but also add immeasurably to the memories.
*If the driver's seat is not long term comfortable, while this can be changed, being less than comfortable can wear you down.
*If the rig is not a one finger drive and requires constant attention, then how comfortable the seat is does not matter, you can only maintain that attention lever for a given period.
*If you have two drivers, the days travel can be greatly extended. If you have a driver and a navigator, this can also unload the effort of driving to a great extent. Just having someone to bring you a beverage on demand is a great advantage.
*If you will only do overnight stops at a campground, you had best add in the time to get to the campground and in your slip to the day's travel. There are huge variables available here.

This is all from a guy that has logged more that a few 1000+ miles days even some in recent years. We travel now in an antique motorhome that is very comfortable and can co-drive if the situation requires, but we try to avoid Bonzi runs as they are not something one can enjoy.

At one time, I was draging a competition sailboat all over the country. The truck was not comfortable and neither was the excursion. I did, however, learn the value of planning. Things are easier if you have at least an idea where you are stopping and when.

On these boards, you will find RVers that are 2-2-2 people. If this is your plan, then it can work for you. These are usually full-timers that -Travel 200 miles -Are at the campground at 2pm -Stay there for 2 days. If you don't have anywhere to be, that is just fine.

What you really have to do is work a few excursions and find out what you are comfortable with doing. The one big caution here is that driving tired is a very good way to end up dead.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Doesn’t sound like much fun to me....500 miles a day

Minimum of 10 hours. Pretty long day driving.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I first got my RV I used to travel from Portland Or to Los Angeles often ... about 1,000 miles. I made that trip in two days with no problem (with two young kids and wife who didn't want to drive the RV). I found that leaving very early was helpful. Things changed as I got older - my two day trip is now 3 days.

Kevin

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an older gentleman once told me, Go by the two's. Don't drive over 200 miles a day, slow down & smell the roses. Don't drive two days in a row. And always, always arrive at a campsite by 2:00 o'clock, that's cocktail time.
Since we've retired, we pretty much like to follow those words of wisdom, with the only exception of possibly driving two days in a row. But the 2:00 o'clock rule is the law!

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

camperfamily

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll do 800 miles in a day. Its not ideal, but with limited days away from work its a choice. Tougher with kids now. How long/far is really a personal thing. Even related to your rig as mentioned. Only YOU can decide what YOUR comfortable with.

Of course this year the wheels are not doing much turning. Fingers crossed for next season.

2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> How many miles a day can we go?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.