Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New to RV’ing....and might not last
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New to RV’ing....and might not last

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 02:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure of your location but if you were anywhere in the area I'd be glad to help you figure it out - as I'm sure many others would too.

Other than that, take it one step at a time and enjoy the journey.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 03:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a starter, you might want to watch this orientation video by a large RV Rental company:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPSW4PD-J9k
It is geared towards Class C usage, but there is a lot of commonality between the basic systems.
But you need to find someone with more experience to give you "the tour". Maybe at a dealership?
It is not rocket science. Many, many people have successfully conquered RV usage. I see no reason why you couldn't be one of them.
In the end, you may still learn that a smaller RV is better for your personal preferences and needs, or that RVing is not for you. But now that you have the rig, you have a great opportunity to find out about that.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 04:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look down your street find some one with a rv in there drive ,ask for help. #2 hire a rv tech mobil service guy. he,come to you and go threw the hole rv, you can take notes even a movie. cost about $150. bucks but you,ll be well informed what your doing. p. s watch that electric hook up do things wrong and you,ll fry your rv electric system.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you aren't handy, look into a Mobile RV Tech...pay him for a couple hours to go thru the system, check for leaks and other issues.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

btilfan

springfield NE

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure if you call the nearest rv dealer they would give you an official walk through for a small price, or maybe even free.

2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep posting on here and someone will always help you out. Most RVrs in a campground or anywhere would be happy to give you advice and help. Check your tire codes too. When were they last replaced? (Since you received all the records) 7-9 years is max regardless of how they look. As has been stated, everything on the coach is like your house, it's either 12V or 120V. Get a cheap tester and find out which is which. Make copious notes for future reference. If you have trouble remembering, get a label maker and label everything. Above all, remember a happy wife is a happy life....[emoticon].....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ovinewar

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amen on the happy wife. Thanks for all the responses. I may go the route of the service guy. Again I believe my investment was sound so I have some room for repairs and upgrades - I earmarked 10k even though all records indicate it is road ready. The tires are 2 years old with no wear. Aqua hot almost brand new. Generator has only 300 hours and the engine checked out. At least 1 of the ac units kicks out frosty air almost runs you out of the coach. Thanks again

cudntherd

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have not listed your location. You may find a Tech in your area using this list http://www.rvservicereviews.com/

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you need is a pre/post delivery inspection... This is a service that is included when you buy new but often not with used RV's Not a good "Tour" takes a few hours. Two suggestions.
If you have a way to make friends with someone buying a rig not unlike yours. Join them for their tour.

Or contact an RV service Technician.. There are some that are "on site" service who come to you. And set it up. They can likely give you a firm price (Say 4 hours) but may give you a discount as it's all talk no work.

Second. You Tube is your friend here. Just about every system on a RV has been video stored on You Tube. thousands of DIY RV repair videos. Some of 'em are rather good.

OMEY (you will fine mention to him from time to time) Thougt I had a link. DO not.

Did find this link: https://rvtechcourse.com/home-study-option/

Can not make a recommendation on it however as I did not follow it.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Ed Manifold

Rescue California

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said that you run the 50 amp to the side of the house. Please make sure you have a correctly wired 50amp plug. 220 house outlets are different than the RV outlets. If you use the 220 house power you will destroy many of your RV appliances per my understanding.

Ed & Sharon
2002 Phaeton
2001 Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New to RV’ing....and might not last
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.