Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2020 Ram 3500 OEM Rear Air Suspension
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 Ram 3500 OEM Rear Air Suspension

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote from ramtrucks.com ref the 2020 Ram 3500 rear air suspension:

" . . . automatically adapting to shifting loads and changes in road camber, in addition to providing a parallel hitch between truck and trailer."

Ram has had an optional rear air suspension for a number of years. Is this camber feature new for 2019-2020? Wonder if it has the ability to automatically compensate for an in-bed truck camper that is heavier on one side?

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't see why not, clearly it's got ride height sensors if it can compensate for road camber and hitch squat. What's interesting is that it says it can compensate for "shifting loads" so I bet it's a huge help in controlling side-to-motion on uneven roads with the camper onboard.

I was just shopping 2015-2017 Rams and didn't see a single one with air suspension, so either it wasn't available yet or nobody ordered it....would be interested if anyone here on the forum has it on their truck.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD:
2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2002 Sunnybrook 34' Bunkhouse (in pic)
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like they are using the trucks built-in accelerometer (usually used for stability control), rather than a height-sensor. If so, this is great, because the height-sensors tend to be the most finicky component on full-air-rides. The mechanical arms get damaged from road debris, and the magnetic ones have to be adjusted perfect or they won't work either.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My question is if would change ride height independently side to side fast enough to control motion, how in the world do they move the volume of air that fast?
I could be wrong, but that feature sounds like something that sells better than works...

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless they have one heck of an aircompressor for the system it won't be able to respond fast enough to control motion. For rapid response dynamic shocks are generally needed. On the other hand, an air system will have plenty of time to respond to an off center load, including a high load that is pushed off center by road with a lot of camber for drainage. I would expect it to make the truck parallel with the road, not vertical to the earth unless they have gotten really fancy.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard good reports from truck camper owners. I haul 6k pin with ZERO squat. LOVE the system, 5 years with zero issues!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't everyone get too wrapped around the proverbial wheel here. Fairly certain they're still just ride height sensing linkages. Not going to level your truck up on an off camber trail.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

I wouldn't see why not, clearly it's got ride height sensors if it can compensate for road camber and hitch squat. What's interesting is that it says it can compensate for "shifting loads" so I bet it's a huge help in controlling side-to-motion on uneven roads with the camper onboard.

I was just shopping 2015-2017 Rams and didn't see a single one with air suspension, so either it wasn't available yet or nobody ordered it....would be interested if anyone here on the forum has it on their truck.

My 2017 has rear air.

MikeinSA

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a '16 megacab dually with the factory air suspension. Hopefully the '20 levels side to side, but ours doesn't. We have probably 50k miles with an Arctic Fox 811 in the back. It's heavier on the passenger side which causes about 1" of difference measured at the airbag locations. Add in normal road camber, and it's a noticeable lean.

The other problem with the factory air and a truck camper is the sway - it's pretty pronounced. Good news is that Hellwig has a new sway bar compatible with factory air, and it's worked great. We have maybe a few thousand miles with this new sway bar and it has really made a noticeable difference.

The big advantage for us with the factory air setup, is that this is also our primary (only) vehicle and it really makes unloaded driving much, much better than conventional suspension.

This is our third truck camper and truck over maybe 20 years. We travel quite a bit and live in them for months at a time, so I guess we're fairly knowledgeable.

If you're primarily driving with the truck camper I probably wouldn't recommend the factory air, and definitely not if it doesn't now level side to side.

* This post was edited 07/09/20 07:50am by MikeinSA *

2016 Arctic Fox 811
2016 Ram 3500, Cummins/Aisin, Mega Cab, SB, DRW

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I have heard good reports from truck camper owners. I haul 6k pin with ZERO squat. LOVE the system, 5 years with zero issues!

Some do fail and I'll bet as they age more will fail

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 Ram 3500 OEM Rear Air Suspension
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.