Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: mattress pad recommendations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> mattress pad recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JR51

NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking to upgrade current mattress by adding a pad. Once I started researching was inundated with multiple options. Gel or latex, thick or thin, firm or soft. I am looking to firm up current mattress so am asking for recommendations on material and thickness.
If I was in the market for a new mattress the current one has one of the corners cut out for bathroom door swing. Are there any dealers who can cut it to fit or do I need one custom made.
Thanks all. Stay safe and mobile

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we just always replace the cheap rv mattress. I'd suggest you look in that direction.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure a pad would firm up something too soft, usually its the other way around.

Maybe check out a craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby and browse their foam selection. Consider placing a stiffer foam under the existing skinny RV mattress.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edbehnke wrote:

we just always replace the cheap rv mattress. I'd suggest you look in that direction.

+1 You'll be happier in the long run. We got a Hybrid (6" of memory foam on top of 6" coil spring. Not much more money than a quality pad and very comfortable.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Wishbone51

End of the Oregon Trail

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

+1 You'll be happier in the long run. We got a Hybrid (6" of memory foam on top of 6" coil spring. Not much more money than a quality pad and very comfortable.

We did the same .. Got a memory foam topper for the thin mattress, and it was amazing.

2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know it sounds like you're not looking for a whole new one, but I'll through this out to you anyway.
We tossed our mushy spring mattress that came with and put in our 4" latex one from the house. Yes, only 4". And real 100% Latex. Not "Made with 100% Latex (that just means it has some degrees of 100% Latex added to the total). And we haven't got it on a box spring in the house either. It's awesome. They come in different densities. Heavier then a spring, can be rolled and tied and carried by myself. 1" blue foam board underneath to stay warm (huge difference!)
Some come with a cover but that could be opened for any trimming needed.
IMHO, memory foam is just foam that leaves a ditch for your bed mate to roll into and you to get stuck in. And thanks to a certain State, a lot of foam is really bad these days.
At 260lbs, the 4" Latex, in a firm density, is all I need. Love it!

* This post was edited 07/08/20 07:02pm by an administrator/moderator *

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We put a quality memory foam topper on top of the RV mattress and we love it. It’s as comfortable as our house mattress.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We put a 3-inch foam pad on top of original POPUP mattress. Worked out great for us...

It does just barely touch the roof ceiling on the inside when we pack up for travel.

Just be sure your interior KILL switch is working to prevent a possible fire hazard. The original incandescent 12VDC bulbs get rather hot when 'ON' for long period of times... My KILL SWITCH prevents them from being turned ON when packed up for travel mode...

Roy Ken
[image]

azwildcat

Falls Church VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Original Mattress Factory can make you customized mattress.

JR51

NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

getting replies for new, memory foam(gel) and latex. Thanks for replies but guess I'll have to "sleep on it" for awhile.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> mattress pad recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.