cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing Prius with tow dolly

tompla
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 Toyota Prius and would like to tow it behind my MH using a tow dolly. Does anyone have any experience towing a Prius this way or have you seen it done? I know it cannot be towed all 4 wheels down.
4 REPLIES 4

tompla
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 Prius is a front wheel drive vehicle. I have been told a Prius should not be towed even with the front wheels on a dolly because the hybrid battery will continue to charge and could create an over charge which would harm the battery. I then asked a certified hybrid car technician from Toyota if I could simply disconnect the hybrid battery. I found it to be fairly simple. He said, you should be able to dolly tow the car without disconnecting the battery as the rear wheels have nothing to do with charging the battery.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, not on a dolly but only the back tires on the ground.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '17 Toyota Camry Hybrid that I have towed many miles on a tow dolly-no problems. Only issue I ever had was using a set of magnetic tail lights and put the wire across the hood. There's now a set of scuff marks where the wires blew back and forth. :S:M
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check the owners manual, that's the best source of information for dinghy towing your Prius.

It should not be a problem towing a FWD vehicle on a tow dolly.