Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CO: Leadville to I70 via Hiighway 24

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy,
How is Hiighway 24 from Leadville, CO to I70? We are thinking of going to Glenwood Springs, CO, the first half of Aug. instead of our planned New Mexico stays due to the NM quarantine business for out of state travelers now in effect. Towing a long TT. RV park suggestions taken too, looking for some good fishing.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch
14 REPLIES 14

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mikefos wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
mikefos wrote:
Howdy,
How is Hiighway 24 from Leadville, CO to I70? We are thinking of going to Glenwood Springs, CO, the first half of Aug. instead of our planned New Mexico stays due to the NM quarantine business for out of state travelers now in effect. Towing a long TT. RV park suggestions taken too, looking for some good fishing.
Thanks,
Mike

IMHO it’s a Great drive - One of the more Beautiful ones in the state - we just drove it today on the way to Delta and the RT 133 drive - I-70 is under construction so timing is critical as it’s two way traffic for 10 or so miles - again to drive the opposite direction on the bottom half of the over under is IMHO Awesome!

That section of the Colorado is great, combined with the high cliffs after Camp Hale to Red Cliff which are pretty impressive too. Think the DW got tired of me saying look at those Rocks.............

Simply put you not be sorry,

Best of Luck,

We ended up staying 2 months in Buena Vista. Couldn't get a spot in Glenwood Springs as everything was booked and we were late after abandoning our New Mexico stay because of their quarantine rules for incoming out of staters. That turned out ok though, as the fire near Glenwood Springs had everybody evacuating the area there. We did do both the hwy 24 and county road 91 drives while in BV. I must say I agree w/ all the comments about how pretty this drive is and a much better route to GS from Leadville. Aspens were unreal. Had lunch at Mangos in Red Cliff, spectacular! Headed home in a couple of days.

Mike

Mike, we just returned for the Aspen and spent 10 days at Arkansas River Rim CG - drove all the routes again with the Aspen - best color and drive was RT 24 the Aspen were almost perfect - the color was massive and beautiful.

We are sitting on RT 50 almost at Monarch Pass now and will head to Custer and then back to Golden before heading back East.

I have to say that the Collegiate's and the San Juan’s are our two favorite spots in Colorado - along with .........All the rest. 🙂

No wrong choices just never enough time.

Thanks for getting back to the group, always good to hear a good report.

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
mikefos wrote:
Howdy,
Thanks,
Mike

IMHO it’s a Great drive - One of the more Beautiful ones in the state - we just drove it today on the way to Delta and the RT 133 drive - I-70 is under construction so timing is critical as it’s two way traffic for 10 or so miles - again to drive the opposite direction on the bottom half of the over under is IMHO Awesome!

That section of the Colorado is great, combined with the high cliffs after Camp Hale to Red Cliff which are pretty impressive too. Think the DW got tired of me saying look at those Rocks.............

Best of Luck,

We ended up staying 2 months in Buena Vista. Couldn't get a spot in Glenwood Springs as everything was booked and we were late after abandoning our New Mexico stay because of their quarantine rules for incoming out of staters. That turned out ok though, as the fire near Glenwood Springs had everybody evacuating the area there. We did do both the hwy 24 and county road 91 drives while in BV. I must say I agree w/ all the comments about how pretty this drive is and a much better route to GS from Leadville. Aspens were unreal. Had lunch at Mangos in Red Cliff, spectacular! Headed home in a couple of days.

Mike
Mike and Kim
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
For ideas on campsites and not-to-miss attractions along US 24 between Colorado Springs and Minturn, see my Colorado Rockies camping blog HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
mikefos wrote:
mikefos wrote:
dsteinman wrote:
I have found US24 between Leadville and I70, while a very nice drive, to be slow going in the motorhome. There isn't many (or any?) passing lanes and we did pull over a few times to let cars and motorcycles pass. CO91 to I70 is much easier and probably faster.

We have stayed at the Glenwood Canyon Resort. It was fine, but it was a while ago and I don't remember much specifics.

David

Thanks, David. CO 91 goes the opposite direction from Glenwood Springs so don't know how it could be quicker.

Well, I take that back. It seems only 5 mins. more to take CO 91 than HW 24 from Leadville to Glenwood Springs. At least according to mileage calculators. It is deceiving just to look at the routes. Thanks, again.
Mike

That might be true in a car (difference in time) but not an RV. As 4Runner said, going 91 forces you over Vail Pass. Take 24. It’s a nice drive.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
IMHO it’s a Great drive - One of the more Beautiful ones in the state - we just drove it today on the way to Delta and the RT 133 drive
OMG, you drove through GWS and didn't say "Hi"?!?!? :h

My bad - Been having turbo issues and was focused on the drive and the engine - I've been driving all these passes in Colorado with very little low end turbo - what a Pain, Up these passes at 30 not 50 is so different, stressful not fun. Add to that that the turbo in the Isl 400 is part of the Brake system it has been a real PITA.

Working on Getting to Lake City if I can grab a spot to stay and get out on the trails - we were over in Ouray and Silverton and the places are Packed Full so may have to wait till Fall to do the Aspen and the trails.

Ken, I'll make every effort to check on you after the Covid deal is over - now just trying to find quiet spots with fewer People, when this is over we will need to share a few Coors Light together. Think it was 15 years ago when I had a picture of Stagecoach SP and had no idea where I was, you ID'ed the the photo and have been the/My Colorado Expert every sense. 🙂

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
IMHO it’s a Great drive - One of the more Beautiful ones in the state - we just drove it today on the way to Delta and the RT 133 drive
OMG, you drove through GWS and didn't say "Hi"?!?!? :h
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mikefos wrote:
Howdy,
Thanks,
Mike

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take US 24 over Tennessee Pass down to Minturn and I-70. At Leadville, you've already gained most of the elevation to the pass. It's a long, downhill run to Minturn. A few, well marked switchbacks but nothing difficult at all. A few miles north of the pass on your right are some historical markers about Camp Hale, where the 10th Mountain Division trained in winter combat techniques.

The downside of taking CO 91 to Copper Mountain is you have to then make the climb up and the descent down Vail Pass on I-70.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a medium to large trailer or a motorhome, I would opt for CO 91 from Leadville to I-70, even if I was wanting to head west on I-70. I towed my 5er from I-70 to Leadville on US24 once ... it was slow going and as noted, very few passing lanes, so be prepared to be a courteous driver and pull over for traffic.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
For camping in that general area, we like Rifle Gap State Park north of Rifle. The Lakeview campground there is big rig friendly (we've stayed twice with a 38' 5th wheel toyhauler) has full hookups, sites are mostly all pull throughs, and concrete paved driveways. We like sites 12 and 14 the best, but those are usually the first to go. Majority of the sites do have a view of the water and I'm believe there is fishing. It's likely to be filled on weekends but you may have luck during the week. There are other campgrounds down on the water but I'm not sure of their size limits. I do not think those sites are full hookup, electric only (the park itself has a dump by the visitor center/ranger station).

Just keep in mind though, Colorado campgrounds/RV Parks have been VERY full this year. You may want to consider staying down in the SW portion of the state, as it is less close for the Front Range folks to get to and isn't as crowded. Lots of nice camping around Gunnison.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
mikefos wrote:
dsteinman wrote:
I have found US24 between Leadville and I70, while a very nice drive, to be slow going in the motorhome. There isn't many (or any?) passing lanes and we did pull over a few times to let cars and motorcycles pass. CO91 to I70 is much easier and probably faster.

We have stayed at the Glenwood Canyon Resort. It was fine, but it was a while ago and I don't remember much specifics.

David

Thanks, David. CO 91 goes the opposite direction from Glenwood Springs so don't know how it could be quicker.

Well, I take that back. It seems only 5 mins. more to take CO 91 than HW 24 from Leadville to Glenwood Springs. At least according to mileage calculators. It is deceiving just to look at the routes. Thanks, again.
Mike
Mike and Kim

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
dsteinman wrote:

David

Mike and Kim

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
This road is a typical mountain hiway with grades and some hairpin curves. Nothing bad, just typical.