Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nissan Titan Cummins 5.0L

dbdap
Explorer
Explorer
Good Day everyone,

In the market for a new (used) tow vehicle and the Titan Cummins is on my list. I understand they are discontinued currently looking at a 2018 XD certified truck with 14,000 miles on it. As far as capacity it will be more than fine for what we have, 24ft 5000lb keystone passport 2400BH. And this will give us room to upgrade if we choose to. Don't plan modding, tuning, or deleting just keep it stock and properly maintained.

Anyone here have this model and how do you like it.

Thank You
22 REPLIES 22

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I notice lots of Ex Titan diesel owners on this thread. Lots of EX owners speaks for itself
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 16 XD with 5.0l diesel and it was a good truck an excellent TV. I wanted to rid myself of the Diesel engine in general and go back to gas and sold it. Itโ€™s a real shame the gas version of the truck just did have the a decent transmission/engine/ gearing combination or I would have bought one. I do miss that XD in some ways.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty remarkable that Nissan is still doing well with the Frontier. No sheet metal or drivetrain changes since 2005 and it still sells reasonably well. We put 130k on a 6-speed manual 2007 Frontier with the 4.0l V6. Good truck (except for the cam tensioners).

Outside of a few changes to the grill and interior, the 2020 Tundra is the same truck that came off the assembly line in 2007. Sales may be a bit low, but Toyota more than makes up for that in reduced R&D costs.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Several players regarding the HD demise.
The Nissen XD weight specs put it in the same range as Fords F150 HDPP. I doubt Ford sells a lot of the HDPP F150s....but makes up profits with all the other F150 size trucks. Hell Ford markets the F150 with over a dozen GVWRs/5 different RAWRs. Not so with the Nissen HD.
And it is a Japans truck which is a put off for some buyers.

Its simply another good stout HD 1/2 ton truck. I don't think Japans truck mfgs want into the very competitive USA LDT market.

Ford would sell a lot more HDPP trucks if the dealers would order them. Problem is that in the DFW area that I live in, one man does most of the ordering for ALL the Ford dealerships.

He orders based on past sales and predicted trends, but the problem is that if you don't have HDPP 1/2T's on the lot, then you can't sell them on a regular basis, thus they will never become a part of your normal product mix. That's why they are harder to find than unicorns.

Most 1/2 tons are ordered as people movers with an occasional trip to Home Depot or Lowes. I worked at multiple Ford dealerships years ago and the same guy ordered for all of them.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
ShinerBock wrote:
I liken this to the first Toyota Tundra which was very small compared to other half tons and under-powered. Toyota essentially tried to dictate to truck buyers what they needed in their marketing telling people that they don't need anything bigger or with more power. As many people know, Americans do not like being told what they need or what they should buy. Sales were dismal until Toyota finally came out with a larger and more powerful Tundra filled with things that the people wanted instead of what Toyota thought people needed.

Yes, Toyota nailed it when they came out with the new 5.7L, 381 HP Tundra in IIRC 2008. But they still fail to understand the US truck market, since they haven't really changed that truck much since then. The US manufacturers strive to continually improve their trucks, so today they leave the Tundra in the dust. Same with the Titan, it was a pretty nice truck when it was introduced, but did not evolve with the competition.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The Titan was never a big seller. A buddy has an older one and likes it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I don't think Japans truck mfgs want into the very competitive USA LDT market.

I think they want into the market, but they do not understand the buyers in our market. The US truck market is not like other truck markets where the manufacturers dictate to the consumers what they need based on what they are given. We buy what we want regardless if the need is there or not.

I liken this to the first Toyota Tundra which was very small compared to other half tons and under-powered. Toyota essentially tried to dictate to truck buyers what they needed in their marketing telling people that they don't need anything bigger or with more power. As many people know, Americans do not like being told what they need or what they should buy. Sales were dismal until Toyota finally came out with a larger and more powerful Tundra filled with things that the people wanted instead of what Toyota thought people needed.

The same thing happened to all those other foreign truck makes that tried to tell us that we don't need anything more than compact trucks and those who did not adjust to what American buyers wanted went the way of the Dodo. I think Nissan tried to do the same with the XD. They figured no one buying it needs 8-lug full floating axles or more that 2,500 lb of payload. But many people here want those things whether they need them or not.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Several players regarding the HD demise.
The Nissen XD weight specs put it in the same range as Fords F150 HDPP. I doubt Ford sells a lot of the HDPP F150s....but makes up profits with all the other F150 size trucks. Hell Ford markets the F150 with over a dozen GVWRs/5 different RAWRs. Not so with the Nissen HD.
And it is a Japans truck which is a put off for some buyers.

Its simply another good stout HD 1/2 ton truck. I don't think Japans truck mfgs want into the very competitive USA LDT market.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
The biggest cause of slow sales for the Titan/Cummins was the price.

Somewhat agree but not completely. In Dec 2016 I picked up a fully loaded Titan XD SL 4x4. Sticker $58k (:E), paid right about $41k out the door. Sold 2 years later for $37k. When I sold it I was looking at an F250 Lariat 4x4 and real world pricing was $56k before tax and license at the time, so more like $62k out the door in CA. The Titan XD sticker prices are stupid for what it is but real world pricing wasn't that bad.

That being said, I wouldn't doubt that some simply looked at MSRP and moved on.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest cause of slow sales for the Titan/Cummins was the price.
Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
They will likely be a good value for those that want a robust half ton diesel.
And they have a good transmission.
Their downfall, imo is gvw and fuel mileage.
They get about the same mileage as a HD diesel pickup and donโ€™t have the heavy running gear of a HD.
Now with each of the big 3 having a capable baby diesel and a big diesel, the luster of a med size diesel is not there, imo.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbor's son is towing a 34' 5r with his Titan XD, claims it rides good and getting great gas mileage. I said I was impressed.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
A coworker had one for a couple of years. Upsized from a Tacoma because he wanted a full size truck even though it was just a daily driver. He never towed anything. He got it new, for well under sticker, after it sat on the dealer lot for nearly a year unsold.

He liked the truck but it stranded him a couple of times when it wouldnโ€™t start in the winter cold. Dealer couldnโ€™t figure out the problem and they struggled with a lack of Diesel engine experience.

Took a huge hit at trade in but now drives another Tacoma.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I put 35k miles on one in one year. Averaged 18-19 MPG unloaded. Towed my 8300 lb 35.5ft trailer with ease.If I were in the market again I would definitely look at them. Resale will suck but if keeping long term that isn't an issue.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP