cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic awning issue

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Who else has had a problem with their Dometic power awning refusing to extend? The motor runs and the top moves out about 6" then the outward motion stops and it just begins unrolling the fabric out while staying stationary. Pulling the bottom out by hand will help the top move out also and once it is out about 18" it will finish extending on it's own (and will retract just fine). Thought it was a weak gas strut so replaced them both. Knew it was going to be a problem while removing the old struts and seeing that they were still strong. Put the new ones on (what a task!), made sure EVERY joint was lubricated and still no change. What am I missing?
7 REPLIES 7

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
STBRetired wrote:
Not weak motor, as the awning retracts fine. Is some kind of binding in the arms between the 6" and 18" deployed positions. I would go over every part of the arms that is touching between 6" and 18" and look for signs of rubbing. If you want to get nuts, take a vernier caliper and start comparing ID and OD of areas that touch where they bind. I would guess that some part of the arms got squeezed or bent and is creating more friction than the gas struts can overcome at that point.

He needs the TSB arm extension rubber spring tube. There is another post recently showing where to get and the P/n. Doug

https://forums.motorhome.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30108359/gotomsg/30108412.cfm#30108412

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Not weak motor, as the awning retracts fine. Is some kind of binding in the arms between the 6" and 18" deployed positions. I would go over every part of the arms that is touching between 6" and 18" and look for signs of rubbing. If you want to get nuts, take a vernier caliper and start comparing ID and OD of areas that touch where they bind. I would guess that some part of the arms got squeezed or bent and is creating more friction than the gas struts can overcome at that point.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like a weak motor after it starts it give up. Up top mehind motor head there is a cover follow wires down then unplug them run a direct 12 volt power source neg and pos and reverse them to go other way. I used my 20 volt battery pack off the electric drill work well for a test for me.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
IF I'm not mistaken the Dometic is like my A&E. The awning is pushed out by Gas Shocks one at each end. Sounds like one of two issues (or both)
Lubricate, Lubricate Every joint you got (Doubtful it is a joint) But also lubricate the shaft of the gas shocks. I will NOT suggest a lube .

Replace the gas shocks.

Dometic and A&E are the same exact company. He already has replaced the shocks.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF I'm not mistaken the Dometic is like my A&E. The awning is pushed out by Gas Shocks one at each end. Sounds like one of two issues (or both)
Lubricate, Lubricate Every joint you got (Doubtful it is a joint) But also lubricate the shaft of the gas shocks. I will NOT suggest a lube .

Replace the gas shocks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ocean_bound
Explorer
Explorer
Call the dometic and get a bumper assist kit Itโ€™s too round rubber bushings push arms out when they are retracted You get to rubber bushings and rivets I used self tapping screws instead it was easier
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is anything like mine it is basically a gravity operated system. All the motor does is wind the awning onto the tube. With it all the way out take some measurements at the top of the arm measure to the awning fabric on each side. If they are not the same it could be slightly twisting your arms causing things to bind enough that gravity can't overcome the resistance.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500