cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Materials are Coming in

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
.....For our solar panel project on our class c. We will be installing 4 - 100 watt, adjustable angle panels, a mppt controller, a 2000 watt inverter with built-in 30 amp transfer switch, and add an additional 2 (total of 4) group 27 batteries. Weโ€™ve had the panels for almost 2 years....many issues prevented us from completing the job! Maybe soon, weโ€™ll be looking at a different project! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
12 REPLIES 12

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
True, but I am pumping a lot of water.
Itโ€™s a 24 volt pump and pumps about 34 imperial gals a minute.
Maybe the pump doesnโ€™t draw that much.

34 gpm (imperial) is a pretty impressive pump output.! I have a friend (that I havenโ€™t talked to in awhile) that owns a company that installs solar pumps in wells in very rural areas....Iโ€™ll try and learn some specifications on pump flow rates vs energy consumption!
Iโ€™m โ€œblown awayโ€ by 34 gpm.....our home water well only produces 11 gpm. At 34 gpm, weโ€™d pull our well down pretty fast! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned , I can only speak from personal use of panels in RV use., since around 1992. On our present 5th wheel, which coincidentally has a -20 F guarantee, has six (6) 125 watt panel which are angle adjustable for the season and six (6) batteries. Because of short periods (about 4 hours) optimum sunlight for the panels .....the panels cannot keep up with our consumption! When we fall/winter camp with lows in the single digit to a little below zero F, we still have to supplement the panels by running the generator on an average of two (2) hours per day. Granted we are not being energy conscious, we run the forced air heater, freely use lighting ( all LED), and watch television for an average of 3 hours per day, and run a 5 cubic foot chest freezer while camping. If our 5er were smaller, and we did not enjoy the โ€œcreature comfortsโ€ we may get by on panels only....even in cold weather!

When summer camping, we have more than enough wattage! Long daylight periods, and with minimal power consumption.....the generator doesnโ€™t see any use!

With the Class C being much smaller (26 feet), and our boondocking stays much shorter ( likely less than a week/outing), in zero or below temps (ice fishing for example) I donโ€™t think weโ€™re going to be โ€œover-paneledโ€! I suspect, the generator will still see some occasional use! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
True, but I am pumping a lot of water.
Itโ€™s a 24 volt pump and pumps about 34 imperial gals a minute.
Maybe the pump doesnโ€™t draw that much.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
I see these projects and installs on RVโ€™s of hundreds of wattages. In this case 400! And I ask ...why so much?
Iโ€™ve been watering cattle with a solar system for 17 years. Watering as much as 350 head (2000 to 3000 gals a day) with four batteries and two 64 watt panels.
Do RVerโ€™s tend to overbuild?

I guess it depends upon how many days you boondock, and how โ€œlittleโ€ you want to run a generator! We often spend 3 + weeks in fall/winter in our 5th wheel using the generator sparingly! When weโ€™re away from camp for extended periods.....the panels are busy keeping the batteries charged so the heater can continue keeping the camper warm. A forced air heater pulls pretty hard on batteries! Running water, warm showers, etc. are nice to come home to when the temps are in single digits to teens! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see these projects and installs on RVโ€™s of hundreds of wattages. In this case 400! And I ask ...why so much?
Iโ€™ve been watering cattle with a solar system for 17 years. Watering as much as 350 head (2000 to 3000 gals a day) with four batteries and two 64 watt panels.
Do RVerโ€™s tend to overbuild?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Keep track of how many times you adjust the panels. That gets to be a pain quickly. Any opportunity to just add another panel and skip adjusting?

As we probably wonโ€™t be doing extended fall/winter stays in the class c....the extra materials (perforated angle), may be a waste.....though, they have to be mounted with something. Adding more panels is a little impractical, because of roof space availability! Angle adjustment is pretty easy, taking little time....unless the roof is covered with snow.

We have adjustable panels on our 5th wheel. For extended stays, they are pretty effective, and worth the effort. Where we fall/winter camp, the panels most be elevated to ourabout 22 degrees for maximum benefit! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œIrons in the fireโ€ for me are not worrying about recharging my batteries most days, not getting out and starting the generator etc.

Yep! Trying to maintain 40 acres, large lawn, garden, 2 rvโ€™s, boat, and lots of equipment.... makes me question why I have an RV! ๐Ÿ˜„ memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I get the idea you are guessing regarding RV solar. Do it once, do it right.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œIrons in the fireโ€ for me are not worrying about recharging my batteries most days, not getting out and starting the generator etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Does the inverter/transfer switch also have a charger ?

Keep us posted !

No! There was a model available, but I figured that Iโ€™d merely charge the batters via the panels/charge controller!

This may take a while.....low priority, and โ€œlots of irons in the fireโ€! ๐Ÿ™‚ memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Keep track of how many times you adjust the panels. That gets to be a pain quickly. Any opportunity to just add another panel and skip adjusting?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Does the inverter/transfer switch also have a charger ?

Keep us posted !