cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onboard generators

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Strongly considering a toyhauler, and will probably have to order because there is limited inventory and not exactly what I want. I polling specifically built in generators, not portables

#A. Have a toyhauler with generator and would never own one without

#B Have a toyhauler with a generator and could go either way

#C Have a toyhauler without a generator and would never would own one

#D Portable(s) have served my needs.

They're just a big added expense and I'm trying to justify if it's something that I should bite the bullet on. I guess I'm just trying to get over the initial big money factor.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
24 REPLIES 24

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
#A get gasoline not propane.

HRTKD
Explorer
Explorer
My toy hauler has a 5500 watt Onan generator. In non-winter weather, the generator is primarily used to run the microwave. I rarely need air conditioning unless I'm in Moab in July. Otherwise, the solar does a good job of keeping the batteries charged. I use an inverter to make coffee and charge my laptop.

In winter, I use too much juice to run the furnace and the generator needs to run for a while to bring the batteries up to a full SOC.

I've been looking at replacing the current trailer and have considered leaving out the generator. If I put in enough solar (1200 watts) and battery (LiFePO4), I can get by without an on-board generator. The generator compartment could be used to house the solar components and batteries. I'll likely have a small inverter/generator just in case.
2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB S4
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my history:
two toy haulers, both had onboard generators and we used them a lot. With new "conventional" fifth wheel there's no place for one and it would have to be propane, not a desirable option for me. I bought a 3500 inverter generator with a wireless remote start, not cheap but it solved my issues. I can get up in my slippers and start the generator and coffee without leaving the trailer. I also added 450 watts solar so need for generator is minimal. Generator lives in truck under locked tonneau cover.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
mrw8i wrote:
Generator. Easiest way to make coffee in the morning.
If you don't have an inverter.

Leaving for the Sequoias this week. Not taking the 35' TH, taking a 17' bumper pull. Leaving portable gen at home, no reason for it (have solar). Coffee will be, boiling water, pouring into a Malita style Funnel with filter into a insulated caraffe.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mrw8i wrote:
Generator. Easiest way to make coffee in the morning.
If you don't have an inverter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Answer=(A) Not into hauling around/setting up a portable.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
mrw8i ~ Generator. Easiest way to make coffee / I still use an old stovetop coffee percolator.

Most of my buddies have propane generators And No issues at all.

No problem. Differing ideas, thoughts, opinions, observations, and "what I've heard" are all good.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
mrw8i ~ Generator. Easiest way to make coffee / I still use an old stovetop coffee percolator.

Most of my buddies have propane generators And No issues at all.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
As my son gets older and we get a different camper, it will open us up to more places to camp, including bookdocking as an option. I survived as a kid doing it, and so will the rest of my family.

From what I gather, 1Kw of generator = +/- $1000. For less than $800, I can get a second generator, parallel kit and be ahead of the game. I guess I was really trying to see if people feel that a built in generator is worth it if they don't already have something.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your follow up comment, if you really don't think you'll ever boondock and need AC, then what you have right now will work just fine. Or add solar. I personally wouldn't want to be limited on where I camp based on the equipment I have (other than rig size of course).
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
You didnโ€™t say how you camp and how often. We full-time in our TH, but donโ€™t boondocks a lot. However, our generator has come in handy in several parks where their power failed. We spent 40 years living in tornado alley.......no home of mine would not have a back-up power system. YMMV
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

gandude
Explorer
Explorer
IMO

Its better to have a built in generator and not need it than to need generator and not have it.

Toyhauler and dry camping go hand-in-hand as most good off-roading areas don't have hook-ups.

I don't need solar. Put gas in the tank and use the generator. Fast, simple and uncomplicated. Never a problem save for a carb clean now and then.

This assumes your not full timing.
Tahoe 21WTB Toyhauler
06 Dodge 3500 SLT, QC, LB, 4x4, 5.9, auto 370's
03 Kawasaki 360 Prarie
03 Kawasaki 300 Bayou
79 Honda XL 250
12 Honda XR 650

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Generator. Easiest way to make coffee in the morning. Also gets a head start on re-charging the batteries after running the heater quite a bit overnight, solar charges them back up the rest of the day. Once and awhile use the generator for AC.

Propane or gasoline? I've heard nothing but bad things about propane generators. Gasoline, I've had no issues with it.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Options ~ Propane or Gas?
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus