cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using a Andersen Ultimate on a 2020 GM truck?

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I am now the proud owner of a Silverado 3500HD Duramax. It has the standard 6'11" bed. For nearly the same cost as buying the necessary adapters for my existing traditional Superglide hitch, I can buy a new Andersen Ultimate gooseneck setup (my new truck has the OEM gooseneck prep and gooseneck hitch packages).

On the new GM trucks, the OEM gooseneck mount is set slightly behind the rear axle. It appears that the Andersen hitch moves the ball back a bit more. And, the kingpin adapter moves the ball receiver a bit forward on the pinbox. All of this creates more clearance to the cab.

My concern is how this might affect the stability of the trailer while towing (chucking, etc.). Is anyone using this exact setup with success (or not)?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
27 REPLIES 27

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" Andersen,love it,rated for 4500 pin,24500 fifth wheel "

Honest question, would you tow that much weight with one?

I personally don't prefer to tow close to capacity ratings. So whether it's Andersen or B&W or whatever. I'm going to get capacity much greater than needed. Same with tires. Only time I didn't was towing my fifth wheel with my 08 3/4 ton. But I was within the capacity of the rear axle and I upgraded my tires to be much greater than stock capacity. With air bags.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
Njmurvin wrote:
Well ... I bought one. I'll be installing and testing in the next few days and will report back.

I mentioned to my wife this morning that I liked the Anderson Hitch. She went to Amazon to check it out... If you haven't had a chance to look at the pictures on Amazon, you might want to look at them. I'm not sure if the ball portion of the hitch is replaceable, but looks like you might try to find something stronger. Maybe the B&W ball can be used with the hitch? Just check out the pictures. I won't be changing my hitch any time soon.

I don't know which picture you're referring to. But, I can say the ball on my aluminum model 3220 AUH is very stout looking (at least as much as the Curt ball which goes into the OEM puck).

My maiden voyage with this hitch involved some pretty steep climbing/descending and switchbacks (Hwy 38 going up to Big Bear Lake for those familiar). I inspected the bed carefully when I removed the hitch and found no marks or bends in the bed. I did use a thin rubber mat that I bought at Home Depot and cut it to fit around the gooseball. I also have the factory sprayed in bedliner.

I never thought of my trailer as light. But, compared to some of yours in this thread, at 12k it is definitely on the light side. Perhaps that might explain why I don't see evidence of bed deflection.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
IM approx 17500 loaded 4000 pin,put on close to 8000 miles last year with it.Love the simplicity of hooking up etc and how quiet it is.Great for my application.24500 i would likely buy a B&W.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" Andersen,love it,rated for 4500 pin,24500 fifth wheel "

Honest question, would you tow that much weight with one?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
B&W BALL installed with our Andersen,love it,rated for 4500 pin,24500 fifth wheel

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Njmurvin wrote:
Well ... I bought one. I'll be installing and testing in the next few days and will report back.

I mentioned to my wife this morning that I liked the Anderson Hitch. She went to Amazon to check it out... If you haven't had a chance to look at the pictures on Amazon, you might want to look at them. I'm not sure if the ball portion of the hitch is replaceable, but looks like you might try to find something stronger. Maybe the B&W ball can be used with the hitch? Just check out the pictures. I won't be changing my hitch any time soon.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Njmurvin wrote:
I checked with Andersen about the bed support requirements for GM trucks. They told me specifically that the 2020 models were redesigned and did not require any reinforcement. I used a thin rubber mat under the AUH and when I removed the hitch and mat after my first trip. There is not a trace of evidence that the hitch has ever been in the truck bed. Doesn't the truck's gooseneck ball provide the bulk of the support?

Not really! That is what their Circus Type video tries to claim by putting X amount of pressure downward. Fact is there is a lot of fore and aft force generated when taking off and especially with hard braking.

Did they finally come up with a shim to transfer the forces to the bottom of the bed corrugations and then to the cross members?

Try towing a Mobile Suites with an Andersen with no bed matt. I know a person that sells the Andersen with a 2010 RAM DRW and DRV weighing 18k. If you ask him he will tell you he has bed deflection.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
I checked with Andersen about the bed support requirements for GM trucks. They told me specifically that the 2020 models were redesigned and did not require any reinforcement. I used a thin rubber mat under the AUH and when I removed the hitch and mat after my first trip. There is not a trace of evidence that the hitch has ever been in the truck bed. Doesn't the truck's gooseneck ball provide the bulk of the support?

I am sure the ball has some of the support, its designed the same way the B&W is ,and had to be shimmed . The B&W has done the same as the Andersen in some cases ,dented up the bed. Easy solution if it does add the shims same as B&W had to do.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hitches that sat on the bed used to be fine as the beds were much stronger. My 18k B&W Companion from 2005 was great on the bed of my 98 rAM but installed on my 11 RAM I did get bed deflection. B&W has changed their bed mount Companion since and deflection is not an issue. Sad another manufacturer has not stepped up to correct this issue.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
I have no idea about Andersen, I have a Pull Rite single point which is essentially the same. Pull Rite says the Chevy under bed "joists" are not where they would support the Pull Rite and they require a kit to fix that. I don't know where the Andersen feet would sit in the bed, that may be something to check with Andersen.

Pull Rite understands bed deflection, Andersen does not.

I had no damage to my 2012 Chevy bed after bending two different series of Andersens . My truck bed is tougher than thier hitch which as I have posted before I will never ever use again.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TxGearhead wrote:
I have no idea about Andersen, I have a Pull Rite single point which is essentially the same. Pull Rite says the Chevy under bed "joists" are not where they would support the Pull Rite and they require a kit to fix that. I don't know where the Andersen feet would sit in the bed, that may be something to check with Andersen.

Pull Rite understands bed deflection, Andersen does not.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone interested, I completed the maiden voyage from Ventura County to Big Bear. This involves a bit of climb (as high as 9000ft in places) and twisty roads. The truck is a beast at towing. I never felt a need for more power and between the 10 speed trans, tow/haul mode and exhaust brake, I felt more than confident descending the mountain with 12K lbs in tow.

The Andersen hitch performed flawlessly as well. Sure, there is a bounce when it hits a large bump in the roadway but the shocks on the truck settle it down almost instantly. I have an Airborne pin box with a shock and airbag. That might contribute to the stability. I have the AUH in its standard position with the ball back and the pin box adapter cup forward giving me 9+ inches of extra cab clearance. I'm not sure I need it because it seems like there is a mile between the trailer and cab - even in the sharp turn I have to make in my culdesac to park it in my driveway. FWIW, I bought the safety chain kit even though it is probably not necessary. I just want to avoid any potential issues with overzellous CHP officers and it provides a little extra peace of mind.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
Njmurvin wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
I used the Andersen in my 08 Duramax and now my 2020 Denali. I only have one trip about 50 miles away and it handled well, still a little more bucking than I prefer but not bad. My clearance is good with the funnel "backwards" meaning the pin box is closer to the cab. I haven't tried to go 90 degrees but it's made the clearance for what I need it to.

Interesting. I finished my break in and took it out for a longer test drive (about 20 mile r/t) up and down a small grade to see how it towed. I have the hitch and adapter both in the "standard" locations for the maximum offset (moving the trailer 9" back). I have a very similar truck to yours (towing wise) and didn't notice any abnormal bucking. I have the Z71 package with the off-road shocks. Maybe those stabilize the bucking sooner? Could be a difference in trailers. Mine is 12k lbs fully loaded.

I'm taking a trip next week to the mountains for a real test. I'll update this thread if anything changes.

Yeah the bucking wasn't bad in any way. Just more than I prefer, more just bouncing on highway joists and such. Probably completely normal. I've been debating getting the Gen Y goose pin box. More to eliminate the 5 minutes if taking i the hitch in and out.

Most likely a MorRyde pin box would solve the chucking if you donโ€™t have one .