Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone using a Andersen Ultimate on a 2020 GM truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Anyone using a Andersen Ultimate on a 2020 GM truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Njmurvin wrote:

I checked with Andersen about the bed support requirements for GM trucks. They told me specifically that the 2020 models were redesigned and did not require any reinforcement. I used a thin rubber mat under the AUH and when I removed the hitch and mat after my first trip. There is not a trace of evidence that the hitch has ever been in the truck bed. Doesn't the truck's gooseneck ball provide the bulk of the support?

I am sure the ball has some of the support, its designed the same way the B&W is ,and had to be shimmed . The B&W has done the same as the Andersen in some cases ,dented up the bed. Easy solution if it does add the shims same as B&W had to do.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Njmurvin wrote:

I checked with Andersen about the bed support requirements for GM trucks. They told me specifically that the 2020 models were redesigned and did not require any reinforcement. I used a thin rubber mat under the AUH and when I removed the hitch and mat after my first trip. There is not a trace of evidence that the hitch has ever been in the truck bed. Doesn't the truck's gooseneck ball provide the bulk of the support?

Not really! That is what their Circus Type video tries to claim by putting X amount of pressure downward. Fact is there is a lot of fore and aft force generated when taking off and especially with hard braking.

Did they finally come up with a shim to transfer the forces to the bottom of the bed corrugations and then to the cross members?

Try towing a Mobile Suites with an Andersen with no bed matt. I know a person that sells the Andersen with a 2010 RAM DRW and DRV weighing 18k. If you ask him he will tell you he has bed deflection.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Njmurvin wrote:

Well ... I bought one. I'll be installing and testing in the next few days and will report back.

I mentioned to my wife this morning that I liked the Anderson Hitch. She went to Amazon to check it out... If you haven't had a chance to look at the pictures on Amazon, you might want to look at them. I'm not sure if the ball portion of the hitch is replaceable, but looks like you might try to find something stronger. Maybe the B&W ball can be used with the hitch? Just check out the pictures. I won't be changing my hitch any time soon.

alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B&W BALL installed with our Andersen,love it,rated for 4500 pin,24500 fifth wheel

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" Andersen,love it,rated for 4500 pin,24500 fifth wheel "

Honest question, would you tow that much weight with one?

alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IM approx 17500 loaded 4000 pin,put on close to 8000 miles last year with it.Love the simplicity of hooking up etc and how quiet it is.Great for my application.24500 i would likely buy a B&W.

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Njmurvin wrote:

Well ... I bought one. I'll be installing and testing in the next few days and will report back.

I mentioned to my wife this morning that I liked the Anderson Hitch. She went to Amazon to check it out... If you haven't had a chance to look at the pictures on Amazon, you might want to look at them. I'm not sure if the ball portion of the hitch is replaceable, but looks like you might try to find something stronger. Maybe the B&W ball can be used with the hitch? Just check out the pictures. I won't be changing my hitch any time soon.

I don't know which picture you're referring to. But, I can say the ball on my aluminum model 3220 AUH is very stout looking (at least as much as the Curt ball which goes into the OEM puck).

My maiden voyage with this hitch involved some pretty steep climbing/descending and switchbacks (Hwy 38 going up to Big Bear Lake for those familiar). I inspected the bed carefully when I removed the hitch and found no marks or bends in the bed. I did use a thin rubber mat that I bought at Home Depot and cut it to fit around the gooseball. I also have the factory sprayed in bedliner.

I never thought of my trailer as light. But, compared to some of yours in this thread, at 12k it is definitely on the light side. Perhaps that might explain why I don't see evidence of bed deflection.

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

" Andersen,love it,rated for 4500 pin,24500 fifth wheel "

Honest question, would you tow that much weight with one?

I personally don't prefer to tow close to capacity ratings. So whether it's Andersen or B&W or whatever. I'm going to get capacity much greater than needed. Same with tires. Only time I didn't was towing my fifth wheel with my 08 3/4 ton. But I was within the capacity of the rear axle and I upgraded my tires to be much greater than stock capacity. With air bags.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Anyone using a Andersen Ultimate on a 2020 GM truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.