Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Axle and Hub Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Axle and Hub Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
the e-man

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

We have a Grand Design Transcend travel trailer. Really like it. At 18 months old, it is essentially new as we have done one longer trip and some local camping. Maybe 2,000 miles of travel.

I decided to have the bearings repacked. It seemed like good preventative maintenance before we do any big trips. I took it to our local Camping World. They sent pictures indicating that there is some damage to the axle. Some heat marks. They recommend replacing the whole axle at a cost of $1,475. I am kind of in shock that the whole axle would need to be replaced - especially since we have hardly used it.

Your insight and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

cnp

St. Louis

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given how much scamming I have seen by service folks over the years (and I am not saying CW is here in this case), and given the cost, low mileage, I would get a second opinion for sure.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Axles are pretty cheap. The last bare axle I bought was about 130.00... Now that is for a bare axle, but it isn't all that hare to do, and since you are already into the bearings, it is not that much more labor. If it is beyond your skillset.... Look for a better price.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lets see the pictures

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you post the photo here? It is normal that dark marks appear on the spindle where the bearings sit. Unless there is an extreme amount there is no concern. The condition is called fretting corrosion and on a trailer is caused by that small amount of clearance between the bearing and the spindle plus no grease on the spindle at assembly. Here is a minor example. If you provide a photo, we may be able to save you all the expense.

The time to service trailer bearings is the minute you bring it home. Inadequate grease and poor adjustment happens all too often.

the e-man

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure how to add images here. I just put up a temporary page with the pictures at: Hub Axle Pictures

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e-man wrote:

Hi All,

We have a Grand Design Transcend travel trailer. Really like it. At 18 months old, it is essentially new as we have done one longer trip and some local camping. Maybe 2,000 miles of travel.

I decided to have the bearings repacked. It seemed like good preventative maintenance before we do any big trips. I took it to our local Camping World. They sent pictures indicating that there is some damage to the axle. Some heat marks. They recommend replacing the whole axle at a cost of $1,475. I am kind of in shock that the whole axle would need to be replaced - especially since we have hardly used it.

Your insight and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

No no no. Go get it away from them. Axles aren't that expensive. I got a new axle, and had the TT raised for $500.00 Find a truck garage, and have them look at it, or find a RV repair center, or mobile guy and have them look at it. CW is trying to do you wrong.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e-man wrote:

Not sure how to add images here. I just put up a temporary page with the pictures at: Hub Axle Pictures

Absolutely normal, run from the crooks!

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking on my phone is hard but I don’t see a problem. A blue mark will indicate overheating but doesn’t necessarily indicate a ruined axle. If they had to beat the bearing off maybe; but yours looks just fine to me
Like Lynmoor said, run! Get a second opinion if it makes you uncomfortable but avoid CW like it was corona. (unless it’s served chilled)

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2, second opinion.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Axle and Hub Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.