Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Axle and Hub Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Axle and Hub Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pack'em yourself, nothin to it.

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I would replace is the place that told you that you needed to do that kind of repair... That should just be a simple repack of wheel bearings.. Pretty easy if you know how to do it and don't mind getting dirty.. But, if that's not an option, it should still not cost too much.. I don't know, as I do my own bearings.

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your spindle looks fine.
I would replace the bearings with Timkens and go camping..... But first tell CW to take a hike.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing... I bet if you were to authorize the work, all they would do is repack your bearings and still charge you for the new axles! Why? Because they know the axles are fine..

Wow.. What is the world coming to?

Mitch

the e-man

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Your spindle looks fine.
I would replace the bearings with Timkens and go camping..... But first tell CW to take a hike.

Appreciating everyone’s feedback.

Can you tell me what makes Timkens special?

2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e-man wrote:

Hi All,

We have a Grand Design Transcend travel trailer. Really like it. At 18 months old, it is essentially new as we have done one longer trip and some local camping. Maybe 2,000 miles of travel.

I decided to have the bearings repacked. It seemed like good preventative maintenance before we do any big trips. I took it to our local Camping World. They sent pictures indicating that there is some damage to the axle. Some heat marks. They recommend replacing the whole axle at a cost of $1,475. I am kind of in shock that the whole axle would need to be replaced - especially since we have hardly used it.

Your insight and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

CW = rip off. Quote $1500 blown tire damage and a day. I bought parts for under $200, 16ft J skirt & a fender, fixed it myself in under 2 hrs. I could do one in an hour now and I still have half the J skirt in the shop. Get it out as soon as you can, just ask the hourly labor rate, that should do it. Lots of people with some basic mechanical ability can fix it. Likely the spindle can be buffed and new bearings, done.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e-man wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Your spindle looks fine.

Appreciating everyone’s feedback.

Can you tell me what makes Timkens special?

Quality.
The chinese ones are erractic in that dept.
And by the time you find out you got a bad one, you have a big mess on your hands.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

They sent pictures indicating that there is some damage to the axle. Some heat marks. They recommend replacing the whole axle at a cost of $1,475. I am kind of in shock that the whole axle would need to be replaced - especially since we have hardly used it.

Your insight and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The blue does indicate heating however how do you know that axle stub in the picture is from your trailer.
Axle stubs are heat treated steel. If a bearing is ran low or without grease it can run so hot the bearing galls to the race and can lock the wheel up .BTDT on equipment trailers. percent of the time its the smaller outer bearing that seizes and spins the race on the stub. The outer end is the weakest part of the stub so if the stub breaks 99 percent of the time its the small end.
I would get a 2nd opinion if you don't know what to look for.
1400 bucks is what you pay when on the road long way from home and the mechanic has you by the......short hairs.
If the stub got to hot it causes the stub to harden and can break. Without a actual physical exam and feel for galling no one can tell just from a picture how bad or good the stub is.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your profile only indicates "Virginia". If you are anywhere near Hampton take it to Hibbard's Iron Works on Aberdeen Rd. They are top notch. They specialize in trailers. I've done business with them for over 30 years.

MSchu

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my used trailer the previous owner showed me a receipt for having the bearings packed, and the shop had replaced a bearing they said was bad. Two years later I pulled the hubs to repack again, and all four hubs had red grease on the outside bearings, and black grease on the inside bearings. I couldn't figure out why someone would use different grease like that, it didn't make sense. Then I finally realized they didn't use two different kinds of grease, they only repacked the outer bearings and ignored the inner ones so they didn't have to buy new seals. Then lied about the bad bearing, if they had actually found a bad bearing they probably would have greased everything.
That's why I try to do my own work

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Axle and Hub Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.