Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Axle and Hub Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Axle and Hub Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 11:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e-man wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Your spindle looks fine.
I would replace the bearings with Timkens and go camping..... But first tell CW to take a hike.

Appreciating everyone’s feedback.

Can you tell me what makes Timkens special?

Timken and SKF are 2 of the best quality bearings.
However it doesn’t look like you need bearings either. And there should be no need in such low miles unless they ran dry or some extraordinary other issue.
The grease still even looks fresh. No wear n tear even on the bearings yet.

IF you had a bad spindle, you could replace Just a spindle (spindle is like $40-50).

Unless your axle is bent (you would see negative camber in the tires), you don’t need an axle.
In your case, tell the crooks to button it up with some grease in it and pack em yourself , go to another shop or carefully grease them with the zerks provided on the axle.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Btw, I’d first act ignorant of the issue and get them to just put it back together. Then when it’s hooked to your truck, go tear them a new @ss. Loudly and publicly inside the store.
Then figure out how to make sure as many people know they’re scammers as possible.
This is a pretty egregious rip off attempt.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is nothing wrong with that axle. I sure don't see any "heat marks on it.

* This post was edited 07/12/20 08:11am by deltabravo *

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is NOT caused by heat, it is fretting corrosion .

How much money can be made promoting YouTube videos?

the e-man

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

Your profile only indicates "Virginia". If you are anywhere near Hampton take it to Hibbard's Iron Works on Aberdeen Rd. They are top notch. They specialize in trailers. I've done business with them for over 30 years.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Here is a quick update. I picked up the camper. Of course, extra fees were tacked on beyond the advertised price for the repack. We all have to learn a lesson the hard way sometimes, right.

I'll be getting a second opinion this week. As mobeewan recommended, I am taking it to Hibbard's. I'll let you know what they say.

As for repacking the bearings myself, it sounds like a great skill to learn. I learned how to do that on bicycles last year when I rebuilt a classic Schwinn. I guess I better step up my game and do it on the camper, too.

Thanks again for the assistance.

2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e-man wrote:

As for repacking the bearings myself, it sounds like a great skill to learn. I learned how to do that on bicycles last year when I rebuilt a classic Schwinn. I guess I better step up my game and do it on the camper, too.

In my opinion, you have no other good choice but to do it yourself. Even if your next stop has a skilled and fair mechanic, what are you going to do when one of those cheap Chinese bearings ends your trip? With basic tools you can service a spindle roadside quickly. I learned the hard way about the junk bearings coming out of China, and replaced all with Timken.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try a different shop. It looks fine to me in the photo. It's hard to tell from a photo though. Get a second opinion. They could very well be trying to rip you off.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Axle in the photo looks normal.

Charles

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e-man wrote:

mobeewan wrote:

Your profile only indicates "Virginia". If you are anywhere near Hampton take it to Hibbard's Iron Works on Aberdeen Rd. They are top notch. They specialize in trailers. I've done business with them for over 30 years.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Here is a quick update. I picked up the camper. Of course, extra fees were tacked on beyond the advertised price for the repack. We all have to learn a lesson the hard way sometimes, right.

I'll be getting a second opinion this week. As mobeewan recommended, I am taking it to Hibbard's. I'll let you know what they say.

Honestly it is pretty similar to the bike. Seals are different, but it’s just putting grease in the bearing, and the adjusting the bearing nut. Although it’s heavier, dirtier, and you have to sit on the ground to do it.

It’s a shame people can’t be honest, and just do the work needed.

Thanks again for the assistance.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

mhsmith

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e-man wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Your spindle looks fine.
I would replace the bearings with Timkens and go camping..... But first tell CW to take a hike.

Appreciating everyone’s feedback.

Can you tell me what makes Timkens special?

Better quality, but sadly made in China also. They moved from Ohio to China mid 05-06

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Axle and Hub Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.