cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hose hanger mount for spare tire

JimJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a 2nd tiny RV trailer to use as a rolling hotel room and grandparents' backyard apartment at our daughter & son-in-law's home when the baby arrives. We added a macerator to connect to the kids' home waste system. What to do with the waste hose? Frankly, there isn't enough room in the bay and we don't want to transport it inside the trailer anyhow.

Starting with a design from another DIY forum, I came up with my own design that sits on top of the spare tire. It is a loop made from Schedule 40 3/4" PVC with two hook arms. The critical part was measuring in place for the loop to sit where you want it on the tire. Two additional tips:
  • This is a closed loop so drill a couple tiny holes in the fittings to allow for pressure changes.
  • PVC can get brittle in the sun. I wet sanded with 3200 grit to mostly remove the manufacturer's ink and provide enough 'tooth' for exterior plastic approved spray paint to block UV (some UV protectant won't hurt either).

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

5 REPLIES 5

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is supporting all the stuff hanging off the back...it looks like it's the paper thin sewerhose bumper with Tire, hose and a storage rack. That would be my concern.

PVC is probably not the best option. Without the testing method 362lb of tensile strength doesn't mean anything. Weight hanging from the pipe isn't tensile strength, so it's unclear where the number is coming from. Tensile strength of the PVC is 7500psi but you need do run some calculations to determine if the arms will snap off bouncing down the road. I would look at metal fittings of similar size.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JimJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
3/4" Schedule 40 PVC has a specified tensile strength (weight hung from pipe) of 362 pounds, and collapse pressure (weight placed on supported pipe) of 1,200 pounds. That should be plenty strong to carry a 10 pound hose during transit.

The big issue with PVC in my experience is the sun. UV will make it brittle in short order unless you do something to protect it.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea but schedule 40 PVC may not be strong enough. Keep an eye on it and watch for cracks, specially inside the ells.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Provided the rear wall of the RV and the plastic pipes can handle the weight, I see no problem.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
looks good
bumpy