cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Pin Box Mounted Bike Rack

Campforever
Explorer
Explorer
Considering mounting a 2 inch receiver on the Pin Box on my fifth wheel. After mounting slide in a bike carrier and mount the bikes.

It would have to be raised for clearance.

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS AND WHAT ARE THE PRO'S AND CON'S?

THANKS
Randy, Retired and Loving it...
Chevy Dually 3500 Duramax 2015
3910 Montana (2015) Three Slides

5 slides
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rhagfo wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Just remember WHERE your 5th wheel hitch is located in the bed. DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH CLEARANCE WHEN SHARP TURNING TO CLEAR THE BACK OF THE TRUCK CAB AND WINDOW WHEN YOU INSTALL EXTRA EQUIPMENT? Doug

Really an non issue, bikes are far narrower than front of 5er. Have posted before and one guy reported back that he had a four bike rack on a short bed!

I have seen the damage from when you have a Pin box and hitch with NO clearance and the Front cap hits the Cab and window. So, to state non issue, maybe for YOU, but there are always candidates for the Darwin awards. I mentioned this because there are those that would NOT think of this prior to installing and then making that sharp turn. Kind of like all those you tube videos's that show the destruction on 5th wheels tearing down Gas Station awnings.:B Doug

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I've put one on the front of our mh, can carry our bikes there or on the rear.

How does that relate to a 5th wheel pin box?:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Just remember WHERE your 5th wheel hitch is located in the bed. DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH CLEARANCE WHEN SHARP TURNING TO CLEAR THE BACK OF THE TRUCK CAB AND WINDOW WHEN YOU INSTALL EXTRA EQUIPMENT? Doug

Really an non issue, bikes are far narrower than front of 5er. Have posted before and one guy reported back that he had a four bike rack on a short bed!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Have been carrying our bikes on our pin box for years. I went a little different approach in how I made it than most have. I have a 5th Airborne air ride pin box and did not want to drill holes in it. So I made a mount to use the pin box mounting bolts. Works great. Can carry 3 adult bikes easily on my long bed, and possibly a 4th but have not tried it.

No angles to calculate. Pin box bolts are already level. No part of mount touches top of pin box. Only thing I would do different would be buy a bike rack that holds the bikes by the tires.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've put one on the front of our mh, can carry our bikes there or on the rear.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Very nice project. I've thought to do similar for a generator rack.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
I for one have done this and like it very much. I laid out the receiver myself and had it wielded up. ours is a two bike Swagman, with a 1-1/4" bent tube support. States on it not for RV use. I assume because of the bouncing bike racks get at the back of trailers.

You want to be sure that the rack will clear the bed rails. Our bikes are aluminum framed so light enough I can lift from ground. That said it is very easy to put them in truck bed and load from there.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bicycles are exposed to the weather...sun, heat, rain, snow, cold.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad