cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Trans Fluid

Ed_Manifold
Explorer
Explorer
I had Transynd synthetic oil installed in my 3000 Allison transmission at 34,911 miles on 2/12/15. My understanding was with the synthetic oil installed that I would not need to service again until approx. 100,000 miles. The mechanic that is now doing some of my service work told me that I still needed to service the transmission yearly. I now have 47,407 miles. I am concerned that I have not been servicing my transmission correctly. Please help me understand what the correct service requirements are?
Ed & Sharon
2002 Phaeton
2001 Jeep Wrangler Toad
19 REPLIES 19

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thank You mike brez

That would do it ,I think I remember the posts about the Allison Transmission but CRS is kicking in.

On mine I just waited till the next service date and did it then.

JimR

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
IMO, doing two changes back to back is a total waste of money.

With the first change from Dexron to Transynd, Allison's recommendation is merely to follow the change schedule for Dexron.

Yes, with the second change using Transynd, you go to the much longer service schedule allowed for Transynd.

I agree it’s a waste of $$ i was just bringing to attention that after one change you are not on the extended interval. I switched to Transynd but only did one change so no extended interval for me. Just hate to see someone switch to Transynd do one change thinking they are all set for life and ruin their very expensive trans.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, doing two changes back to back is a total waste of money.

With the first change from Dexron to Transynd, Allison's recommendation is merely to follow the change schedule for Dexron.

Yes, with the second change using Transynd, you go to the much longer service schedule allowed for Transynd.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
JimR 1 wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Right now your on regular trans maintenance schedule.
To be able to go to the full tes 295 schedule you are suppose to drain trans fluid fill with tes 295 drive 30 miles drain trans fluid change filters and refill with tes 295.

Where did this come from, the drive 30 miles?

From this guy

Hi Folks,

My name is Tom Johnson and I was the former Transmission Fluids Engineer at Allison Transmission from 1990 until my retirement in 2009. I am a member of the Good Sam Club Class A motorhome forum and one of the members asked me to join the IRV2 forums.

I'm here to help with your questions about Allison Transmission fluid specifications, TranSynd, oil and coolant analysis, etc.

Let me know how I can help.

PS: You can call me "Mr. TranSynd" if you like..

JimR

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchman53 View Post
My '03 Allison 1000 has 25000 miles on it and I would like to change it over to TranSynd. I keep hearing about "the two change change". I understand the principal but am not sure of the process. How far do I need to drive it after the initial change before draining and filling the second time. Also do I need to use two filters (one for each change) or one? If one, do I change at first or second fill?
Thanks,
Rod
Monarchman53,

Drive it around for maybe 1/2 hour just to be sure it's shifted through all the gears and warmed up. You just want to circulate it through the torque converter and cooling system. You don't need to wait any longer than that before doing the second drain and refill. I don't believe it matters much on the filter but, to make it easy, just change it before the second refill. That should do it for another 150,000 miles.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Community Alumni
Not applicable
mike brez wrote:
To be able to go to the full tes 295 schedule you are suppose to drain trans fluid fill with tes 295 drive 30 miles drain trans fluid change filters and refill with tes 295.

Where did this come from, the drive 30 miles?

JimR

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Wrangler JKU

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
According to the chemist who helped develop transynd, if you have it tested every year and it comes back good, it's good for ever.
2014 American Eagle

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
As said above, the transynd can be easily tested to check for the quality and suggested life span of your current fluid.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Filters at 36 months
Fluid at 48 months

Go here and input your information

My Allison Transmission

This is for my trans yours based on serial number may be different.

I do know that if you go from regular fluid to synthetic fluid it is not considered 100 percent synthetic till one more change after changing to synthetic.

There is a lot of info on the Allison web site. Also I am under an extended warranty and to keep that valid I need to maintain the maintenance schedules to stay under the warranty otherwise I think one could go longer on the change.

JimR

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
lryrob9301 wrote:
You need to find a different mechanic, he is taking you to the cleaners over recommending unneeded services. With Transynd, your transmission is good for 150,000 miles or 6000 hours of operation or 48 months whichever comes first. The filters need to be changed 75,000 miles or 3000 hours of operation or 36 months whichever comes first. This is as per the Allison service manual.

This ^^^
The Allison 3000 4000 etc with synthetic transynd in motorhome use is a different animal, filter changes “ maybe” and checking fluid levels with the shift panel not the dipstick are the maintenance choices .. perhaps fluid testing if your concerned.
There is a retired engineer from Allison on one of the forums with hundreds of pages of info ... all of which says the above and “practically” as a sometime motorhomer you’ll never change the fluid , just test it . Those changing fluid every “?” Need to read up a little.
Bill

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find a different mechanic, he is taking you to the cleaners over recommending unneeded services. With Transynd, your transmission is good for 150,000 miles or 6000 hours of operation or 48 months whichever comes first. The filters need to be changed 75,000 miles or 3000 hours of operation or 36 months whichever comes first. This is as per the Allison service manual.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go with miles only. But then I don't have an allison. Consider going 18 to 24 months. As much as they would have you believe it there is no one year expiration on the fluid. JMHO

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Change your transmission fluid on a regular basis. It's cheap insurance.

Concur !

I usually also tell people to use the OEM recommended fluid.

So, you are recommending going from Allison's Transynd BACK to Dexron???

Transynd did become the OE fluid shortly after 2002.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Change your transmission fluid on a regular basis. It's cheap insurance.

Concur !

I usually also tell people to use the OEM recommended fluid.