cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth Wheels with Long bed truck cover

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I am pretty excited after several years of waiting I am finally upgrading to a 5th wheel. Two years ago I purchased the truck that would accept our 5th Wheel, so I am ready to go.

Question is - I have a long bed Ram 3500. Currently has a quad fold bed cover on it. Do i have to remove the entire thing to pull the 5th wheel?

What do the rest of you all do in this case?

Thanks in advance!
Craig
Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 367bhs
6 REPLIES 6

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
My long bed has a Pace Edwards retractable cover thanks to a birthday gift from the kids.

I built a plywood partition across the bed just forward of the hitch and the cover will lock at this position. Gives me a "semi-secure" truck box when the trailer is on the hitch.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
No need to remove it if you can latch it folded forward of the hitch. The resulting cave is great for keeping things from blowing out while traveling.
Anything between the hitch and the tail gate better be heavy enough to ignore the vacuum created in that area. It even lifts the nose of my 35 gal tote, and took away a fairly heavy rug. I now put the tote in the aforementioned cave or tie it down if other things are already there.

We learned this the hard way with a couple of very heavy plywood cornhole boards (pre-bed cover) on I-80 in WY... those things went flying all over. Thankfully didn't damage anything or fall out.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We also have the Bakflip with our long bed, and it works fine when it's folded up.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a long bed Chevy with trifold cover. I can tow with cover folded and latched.

The best thing to do is to hitch up and go to empty parking lot and make some turns with someone watching just in case folded cover is to high and makes contact with 5th wheel. With the rounded fronts on the 5th wheels should not be a problem.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Ram 3500 with the short box and have a 4 panel BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover. I keep it on when towing our fifth wheel. No issue at all with the first panel in place and the others folded up on top of it and buckled in place.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need to remove it if you can latch it folded forward of the hitch. The resulting cave is great for keeping things from blowing out while traveling.
Anything between the hitch and the tail gate better be heavy enough to ignore the vacuum created in that area. It even lifts the nose of my 35 gal tote, and took away a fairly heavy rug. I now put the tote in the aforementioned cave or tie it down if other things are already there.
Puma 30RKSS