cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart overnight and running the generator

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
When you overnight at a Walmart or similar place and you are in the south or anywhere where it is hot all night long do you run your generator all night so you can use the air conditioner?

We are traveling across country in a few days from Florida. We will be going across the south and through Texas. We are planning to stay at RV parks but if we have any issues finding a place Walmart or similar place is a possible option.

We have only Wally World camped a couple of times but that was in the mountains where the temps cooled at night. Thanks for the input.

Phil
21 REPLIES 21

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I am 99% sure that you will not be the only one running the generator at night in Florida...
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We only stay at Walmarts in smaller towns and only when the weather does not require A/C. The smaller town ones are usually less busy and quieter. Our generator is built-in, but in the bedroom area. It's quiet, but I'd still have trouble sleeping.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
wr1032 wrote:
I had a person complain to me about my generator running, he was not very nice about it. I said I did not have generator, a truck by us was running his Thermo King unit.
Bill

LMAO!! love that story!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wr1032
Explorer
Explorer
I had a person complain to me about my generator running, he was not very nice about it. I said I did not have generator, a truck by us was running his Thermo King unit.
Bill
BILL

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lurker52 wrote:
When you overnight at a Walmart or similar place and you are in the south or anywhere where it is hot all night long do you run your generator all night so you can use the air conditioner?

We are traveling across country in a few days from Florida. We will be going across the south and through Texas. We are planning to stay at RV parks but if we have any issues finding a place Walmart or similar place is a possible option.

We have only Wally World camped a couple of times but that was in the mountains where the temps cooled at night. Thanks for the input.

Phil

100% yes, along side the 20 other RV's running them and the handful of 18 wheelers running them. Just check to make sure the specific Walmart allows over night parking. We stop around midnight, fire up the generator, and are out by 8am. Only do it once or twice per year

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I ran my generator in of all places a downtown Tulsa Wal-Mart. With all the idling semis and tour busses and addicts and hookers wandering the parking lot my generator was more than likely not noticed.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I have always shut down my generator when we go to bed. My generator is under the bedroom. I'm very cautious. I would like to wake up in the morning.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a motorhome with an onboard generator, probably fine. If you have a Travel Trailer or other rig that uses a portable generator, how do you plan on securing it? A chain is less than a speed bump to prevent someone from stealing a thousand dollar generator sitting out in the open of a Walmart parking lot. Might as well leave the keys in the ignition of your Ferrari and put of sign in the window saying the gas tank is full.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
YES, I will run the generator in a Walmart parking lot being conscious of others around me. However, I ALWAYS use a Genturi on the genny exhaust if I will be sleeping while running the generator.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with running your genny. As others have pointed out the big issue is having consideration for others, especially those in towables which are not likely to have gennys & therefore might be affected by your noise & fumes.

On a hot night they will have everything open that they have to open.

If other class As & Cs which are likely to be running gennys are in the carpark, go park in that group. If you see a bunch of towables don't park anywhere near them.

I had one thoughtless, being kind, person park with his genny exhaust right below my bedroom window. He saw nothing wrong with that. A good distance away was a group of class As with gennys running but this fool had to park in the low rent district without the gennys.

His attitude was "It's Walmart. Deal with it." Wonderful person.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
And definitely call and ask before hand, some wallmarts dont allow overnights. Especially in tourist areas like orlando.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart is a great place to camp out at night if you are on the road late and no reservation in a regular campground. I always check in with the night manager at the store before parking. They have always been nice people to talk with and just recently camped in Iowa and the parking lot had just been resurfaced with blacktop. The only requirement from the night manager was to please do no put down the jacks because the new blacktop could be dented. Other than that no other requirements. When I arrived there were 3 units and some semi trucks and by morning there were perhaps 10-12 RVs plus the semi trucks. Many were running generators and a little noisy but when you're hot and tired the noise is not so bothersome. I commend Walmart for allowing us to use their lots and suggest that all of us check in with the night manager on duty so we can always have this privilege from Walmart. Perhaps someday Amazon will have stores with huge parking lots. You never know.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I won't run a generator while sleeping.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
As long as it is an inverter style genset and not a loud contractor style you are OK. I will add you also want to be far enough away from other campers that you don't overwhelm them with exhaust fumes or noise.
Courtesy Applies.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide