cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transferring Basecamp route to Garmin

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of jumping back in with Garmin with the RV 890. I haven't used a Garmin since before the nuvi but had about 12 of them before that.

The biggest thing I want to do with it is build long routes with many stops. I'm curious how the trip planning works on modern Garmin units.

TomTom has a trip planning feature on a website and then it transfers it to the GPS. However whatever route you transfer from the website to the GPS is transferred as a track meaning that the GPS follows it exactly without deviation regardless of traffic conditions etc.

I don't want that. I want my stops from my Trip Planning to transfer over and I want the GPS to calculate a route between each stop in real time based on traffic.

Is this how Basecamp and Garmin work or will it not do what I want it to do?
2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen
2 REPLIES 2

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basecamp will do it - but never in an intuitive way.

Create all your waypoints in BC - then select all the waypoints and right click them - then select "Create Route from selected waypoints".
After the Route is created, you can Right Click on it - then select "Open" and you will see a screen that allows you to organize the route, including layovers, etc.

I prefer to create a series of routes as opposed to one GIANT route - then download each route to the Garmin nuvi.
This allows one to make changes during the trip without having to manipulate a big list of waypoints. (I'm talking a 3 month cross country style trip.)

My trip planning process uses Google mymaps to start with to find waypoints. In Mymaps, I create a list and then export the list. Then with Basecamp I will import the google list of waypoints.

The above is just a sketch - not a "how to" which is beyond the scope of this media.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
As best as I can tell from my Garmin/Basecamp experience, Basecamp will download your trip as a series of waypoint stops. Each time when you select your trip, the GPS will first show you a list of waypoints for that trip and ask you which one to start. It will then generate a real-time route to that point based on your car/RV setting parameters and current traffic/construct conditions. While driving, it may also ask to change the route to bypass (detour around) any traffic accidents/tie-ups that happen before you get stuck in them.

Your real-time route may be different from the one shown in Basecamp so if you want to go down a specific highway, be sure to put a waypoint on that road.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40