cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV or TV antenna or ?? just quit

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
We are on a 3 week trip.  2 weeks into it and am now in Denver CO.  TV and systems working well until this morning.
I am in a 2018 AF 25Y.  We are using the over the air antenna.
Turned on the system; made sure the "button" was for TV (not cable); Went into the TV to do the channel scan.
Everything working fine.  Had it on a channel while we ate breakfast.
All of a sudden the image on the screen froze.  I waited a minute and tried to change the channel....The channel changed, I saw the channel number, but no program.
I re-ran the channel search.  Failed.  No channels found.
It is as if the antenna just quit.
Does the antenna have a fuse?  I have checked all the connections.  Seem OK.
???????I have not yet gone up on the roof to inspect.

Then a different, but related?, problem.  The TV is plugged into the Charging Center via a cigarette lighter plug.  That plug now has no power.  The TV wont go on.  However, in the same charging center are 2 USB ports for charging.  They have power.  I would assume The entire charging center would be on the same fuse/circuit.

Very confusing.  Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!
Cheers,
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT
13 REPLIES 13

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I had an amplifier on my home antenna that would have a heat stroke in hot weather. Pouring ice water over it would restore function for awhile. Think about temperatures and sun when you had the failures.

You never reported the make and model of the antenna, you may have the newer cheap junk that they started using.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Side story. I screwed up my reservation at the campground I'm in now
Where I'm parked I get ONE channel well out of Canada most of the time (a month ago it went off the air for 2 days)

Well due to screwing up my reservation I had to spend one night at a Truck Stop (Brand new Loves) with RV parking .. It is literally across the road. perhaps 200 yards from where I am parked.. Got the full "Detroit" collection 2,4,7,20,50,56,62,and 38 as well as TWO Canadian stations

Amazing
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Shastagary, good thoughts. However, I believe something else (undetermined) happened. I was in Denver. I did the channel scan. Found numerous channels I was watching 1 channel while eating breakfast. The image on the screen froze. From that point on, the channel scan pick up 0 channels. Until I got home. The only change I did was disconnect, then reconnect power to the trailer using the battery isolation switch. Weird!!!
Thanks!
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
sounds to me that you were on the fringe edge of receiving any tv channels where you were with the antenna you have.
what tv antenna do you have you have not said anything about pointing the antenna if it is a Omnidirectional antenna most are known not to be very good.

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
OP here with an update.......
I got home and went to try some more troubleshooting.
While traveling, the trailer is powered 100% of the time.  At home, when troubleshooting I disconnected the battery.
When ready, I reconnected the battery and tried to search channels.  Worked fine!!!!!
I did nothing else.  Just disconnected power and reconnected.
I assume that process "reset" the small circuit board that is on the connector plate.
I hate electrical problems!

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions!!
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok as the song is titled go up on the roof YOu will need a volt meter or test light and I'd suggest a short piece of plastic straw or tube (Straw very good)( the same length as the probe on the meter leads

With antenna switch OFF (LED OFF) red lead inside straw to center wire
Black lead to "Shell" (nut) on antenna cable (Disconnect from antenna)
Have partner turn on and observe 12-14 volts on meter ... or not

NOT means cable fault most likely

Next step is to disconnect the ANT wire from the face plate (Again turn off)
Replace with a coax jumper and redo the test at the end of the jumper GOOD 12 volt Great nothign blown cable fault confiremd

There is a junction (normally) at/in the roof. It may be stood up under caulking (I have seen one that way) or buried under a clamshell cover (One that way too. Mine)

And in both cases the connection was toast

I replaced the barrel connector (Double female is the technical term or bulkhead connector is another name for it) and both the cable ends and IT WORKED.

Thankfully. I know how to do that and have the tools.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That switch plate should also have 12V power being supplied through one of those coax cables if there is a light on the front. Does the power light go on and off when you push the selector button? The wall plate is NOT a booster but simply a power supply for the antenna and an A/B switch between antenna and cable.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is make and model of antenna?
Make and model of the faceplate unit?
Where is the button for antenna you pushed? make and model of this unit?
If antenna has booster built into the head, you should be able to measure for 12 volts DC at antenna by disconnecting cable and reading with voltmeter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
OP here again with an update.......
Thanks for all your advice.
I unscrewed the face plate that has the booster switch along with the satellite and TV connections.  I found no fuse.  The face plate has a circuit board in it and 3 cables attached: antenna, cable, and satellite.  I tightened all connections.
I turned on TV and ran the auto scan for channels.  No luck.  No channels found.  Bummer!!
So, at this point, I will wait until I am home and can get a qualified person to troubleshoot.  Over the air TV is not THAT important  🙂
???????Thanks again!
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several possible answers We now know the TV works but the antenna gets 12 volts from the antenna/cable switch that fuse may also have popped or it may be shared with the outlet fuse. and you need to know what blew the fuse it may be cable issues beweeen inside and antenna... I have to tell you I've seen those.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
The cigarette plug had a fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and the TV works now.
I will take the plate off to check for antenna fuse.
Thanks!
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, most power supplies for the antennas has a fuse. Located behind the face plate, you must remove it from wall.
What button are you pushing for TV? If you have a video switch, some of them must have power.
Do you have a 120 volt cord for TV? Try it.
Check power supply to charging station. It or the circuit should have fuse. Check by plugging in different device.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow