cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Achates opposed piston engines

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ya I know they are never going to happen, (see Cummins military engines) won’t work, battery electric will take over first, etc etc

But it would be fun to have one of these to enjoy the distinctive sound of a turbo-supercharged 2 cycle engine...

Achates powered F-150
5 REPLIES 5

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Probably wouldnt pass the emisions..two stroke run too dirty

Heres a better engine

working on completely new thermodynamic cycle in which Power stroke is Longer then Intake and Exhaust stroke making for improved power

11 cyl one intake one exhaust no valves,no cams no crank.

Ive seen this thing run in big car with 4 speed tranny back then when Kristiansen and his team invented it in 77

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/RE30565.html

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Opposed as in similar to my 1965 Corvair Monza Spyder?

In your Monza the cylinders are opposed to each other. In the Achates engine there are 2 pistons opposed to each other in the same cylinder. No head or valves but a crankshaft at each end of the cylinder. Ports for breathing like in a typical two stroke engine. A supercharger is used to force air through the ports. It has been around for many years, mostly in marine engines.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

N0, not even close.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
They are super efficient 42mpg doesn't sound bad for a pickup.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad