Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's up with the DEF Delete?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's up with the DEF Delete?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not clear to me at all why deleting DEF would improve mileage or HP.

And my duramax with DEF and more HP gets better highway mpg unloaded by several mpg than the one I had w/o DEF.

DEF just injects urea into the exhaust stream to change NOx into N2 and O2. It's a process that has been used for decades with little problem in stationary power plants to clean up exhaust.

I'll keep mine intact.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 11:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The folks who “don’t understand” why you’d delete a diesel pickup exhaust “don’t understand “ the benefits of it.
Emissions, emotions and convictions aside, deleting let’s newer emissions laden engines breathe like older pre tier IV engines. And for the cost of deleting, it eliminates any future emissions system issues which are also expensive to repair out of warranty.

As I think I said previously in one of your threads, I wouldn’t turn down a deleted truck. Actually I’d find value in it on an out of warranty rig.
Just try to verify that it hasn’t been tuned way up and beat on.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My BIL has a 2008 RAM that was deleted and Az would not license it when moved there. So they made the trip to SD to become residents there and have to return every 5 years, and have the option to skip the return once.

DEF is not a big deal, I just stop at a WM when I get to one half a tank add added a 2.5 gallon box of Peak Blue DEF.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. It's a perfect truck otherwise but the last thing I want is problems especially being stuck with a truck that either won't pass emissions or be difficult to sell. I saw a comment on another post I had that went something like - look for something adult owned not adulterated.

The search goes on.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/20 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Hanover county NC does have diesel emission testing. You'd be screwed if it really was deleted. That said private sellers and punk salespeople always claim "bulletproofed" or "deleted" but they don't even know what that is.
If you really like the truck walk back to the service department and ask straight out if they do in fact do that service. I'd be very surprised if they did. Have them do an emission test at their expense if the dealership is in your county of New Hanover. Most of the deletes involve egr and dpf, not def.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alot of state's inspections will not pass a vehicle with any emission mdifications that do not meet or exceed factory specs.

2019 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1000FTPD of Torgue!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really Germaine, but New York, all emissions equipment needs to be physically present. So even if it did clear emissions with the delete, it would still be a no go.

4bearhug

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

In my search for a truck it seems like any 2015-2016 F350 SRW is gone the day it hits the lot. I did find a very nice lower mileage in great shape but the salesmen told me it had the DEF delete done. From what I understand it removes all the mechanical parts for the DEF and re-programs the computer. He says it's a service his shop offers and has become fairly popular. Claims to still pass emissions etc but offers better MPG and HP, but frankly, it makes me nervous. I feel like I'd rather have a stock truck. I called my mechanic and he didn't know much about it. Is this something to stay away from?

What exactly are you looking for? I'm looking to trade my 15 Silverado 3500 SRW CCSB 54k miles one owner. Can give you more details if interested.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4bearhug wrote:

way2roll wrote:

In my search for a truck it seems like any 2015-2016 F350 SRW is gone the day it hits the lot. I did find a very nice lower mileage in great shape but the salesmen told me it had the DEF delete done. From what I understand it removes all the mechanical parts for the DEF and re-programs the computer. He says it's a service his shop offers and has become fairly popular. Claims to still pass emissions etc but offers better MPG and HP, but frankly, it makes me nervous. I feel like I'd rather have a stock truck. I called my mechanic and he didn't know much about it. Is this something to stay away from?

What exactly are you looking for? I'm looking to trade my 15 Silverado 3500 SRW CCSB 54k miles one owner. Can give you more details if interested.

Thanks for the offer. Looking specifically for a 2015 or newer F350 6.7l with under 100k miles. Heading to a dealership today which has about 4 on hand.

My 2007 f150 has been fairly trouble free for 250k miles so I've become brand loyal. Nothing at all wrong with Chevy or Dodge, but it has to be a Ford for me.

4bearhug

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Totally understand. I've had all three brands so I understand that each has their strong points. Good luck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's up with the DEF Delete?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.