cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

JEEP as TOAD

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I have just bought a 2016 JEEP to pull behind a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire gas unit. I pull a Smart Car now and have NO PROBLEMS so hope the same for the JEEP. THE front bumper has two hooks on top of the bumper. I need to order a base plate, and get it put on with new wiring etc so can pull her. WHAT is the procedure for pulling, like hook up and THEN put Jeep in Park and Neutral in 4WD transfer case. DO you have to go through any procedures special except to make sure transfer case is in Neutral and Automatic tranny in Park which is what the book said but sounds weird to have it in Park. I have an older Blue Ox tow bar and really like it so keeping it for the Jeep.
ANy Caveats to pulling the Jeep Sport model 2D. How ABOUT GETTING A BATTERY CUT OFF SWITCH OR NOT NEEDED? WHEN USING A BRAKE Buddy, does that drain the battery? HOPE I made a good decision to sell the Smart Car and got the Jeep. Jeep was pretty bouncy and rocking a lot on back roads but see so many driving them must be ok.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
24 REPLIES 24

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
That link is for the JK but the website states that it is NOT rated for towing. I also checked the same bumper for the 2020 Gladiator and it also says it's not rated for flat towing. Other than that it is a nice looking bumper. The Rugged Ridge bumpers that are rated for flat towing are in the $800 range...

Well yes I posted a jk bumper because the op said he had a 2016 wrangler.
All wranglers from 2007-2018 are jkโ€™s. As far as the gladiator I donโ€™t know were you are going with that.
One other thing those โ€œhooksโ€ on the stock bumper are recovery hooks and used to pull you out when stuck 4wheeling and each one is rated at 5500lbs so technically you could tow it with one hook.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
The rugged ridge bumper I linked to is the one on the white wrangler I posted a picture of,it is mine and has been pulled all over the last few years. The tabs are bolted to the frame in the red circle. I also believe itโ€™s a lawyer thing. I guess you need to decide what your comfort level is.

This is my old wrangler with $50.00 tow brackets that I pulled with for 15 years.
Again bolted to frame.

2015 Wrangler JKU

Y-Guy
I'm only aware of two bumpers that say they are rated for towing; Rock Hard 4x4 and LoD bumpers. Most the bumpers that have welded D rings will say they are not rated for towing, I'm sure it's the lawyers talking but none the less that is their stance. Rock Hard does make brackets that work with Blue-Ox, RoadMaster, or Reese tow bars. In the case of those, the stress point isn't the bumper itself but the bracket, and the bolts. Both of those bumpers are in the $800+ range for a full width.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
That link is for the JK but the website states that it is NOT rated for towing. I also checked the same bumper for the 2020 Gladiator and it also says it's not rated for flat towing. Other than that it is a nice looking bumper. The Rugged Ridge bumpers that are rated for flat towing are in the $800 range...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
A lot of people say to just get a new front bumper - if you're on a budget that's hardly a viable option. Blue Ox base plates run around $450 - a bumper capable of towing is twice that, and then you need to get the appropriate clevis to connect to the tow bar. I'll stick with the Blue Ox base plate!

Not true. Iโ€™m using the bumper I supplied a link to above itโ€™s $385 with the tabs and looks a hell of a lot better than the stock one.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of people say to just get a new front bumper - if you're on a budget that's hardly a viable option. Blue Ox base plates run around $450 - a bumper capable of towing is twice that, and then you need to get the appropriate clevis to connect to the tow bar. I'll stick with the Blue Ox base plate!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Just put a after market bumper on like THIS
Transmission in park,transfer case in neutral,key in your pocket no steering wheel lock on a 2016,I use a Brake Buddy without a charge line and never had a issue.
Hopkins makes a very simple plug and play wire kit.

2015 Wrangler JKU

Rikilee
Explorer
Explorer
The bx1126 blue ox Baseplate is for the '16 JK. I use an Accent tow bar. Blue ox Wiring kit is easy install. plug and play. I use Patriot 2 brake.
2003 Coachmen Aurora Gold 3610KS
W22
Jeep Wrangler JK Toad

Y-Guy
Horsedoc wrote:
Don't think I have ever seen anything but a Wrangler with hooks

Pretty sure they are standard on the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and at least some of the Jeep Renegade models too. But most common on the newer Wranglers for sure.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
the point was hooks on the bump not whether it can be towed or not. Don't think I have ever seen anything but a Wrangler with hooks
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

TJDave
Explorer
Explorer
"2016 Jeep Sport 2dr" Wrangler is what I gathered by the first post. Which is exactly what I have been flat towing for the last few years.

No steering wheel lock. No battery drain, there is a constant hot 12v outlet under the center armrest, but I used a 12v constant hot outlet from the battery to inside of the driver's footwell. There is an easy way through the firewall where the windshield washer hose passes through a grommet near the brake master cylinder. Easy to route your breakaway cable and 12v outlet wires. Follow the towing procedure in the manual.

There are many combinations you could choose from. I used a Currie skid plate/tow bar mount that works with a Blue Ox tow bar, Hopkin's plug and play light harness, and a RVi3 brake. Worked great.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32sa
Maximus-3, Blue Ox, RVi3, Cooltech

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
rk911 wrote:

"all speculation until the OP tells us which Jeep he has."

Of course you are right. But tell me this - what Jeeps besides the Wrangler have hooks on the bumper?

good point but not all wranglers can be flat towed...most but not all. in all likelihood a '16 can but since the op bought it used there is no way tell how the original owner had ir built. assuming facts not yet in evidence could lead to a bad outcome.

the point is the OP bought a jeep assuming it could be flat towed which in itself is a bad idea. my initial advice was to post his model for us to chime in on and to check his owner's manual under rec. towing for specific instructions. but apart from his initial post he has been silent so all of us are merely speculating.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:

"all speculation until the OP tells us which Jeep he has."

Of course you are right. But tell me this - what Jeeps besides the Wrangler have hooks on the bumper?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
all speculation until the OP tells us which Jeep he has.

Finally someone with the correct answer
2015 Wrangler JKU