Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: JEEP as TOAD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> JEEP as TOAD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

A lot of people say to just get a new front bumper - if you're on a budget that's hardly a viable option. Blue Ox base plates run around $450 - a bumper capable of towing is twice that, and then you need to get the appropriate clevis to connect to the tow bar. I'll stick with the Blue Ox base plate!

Not true. I’m using the bumper I supplied a link to above it’s $385 with the tabs and looks a hell of a lot better than the stock one.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That link is for the JK but the website states that it is NOT rated for towing. I also checked the same bumper for the 2020 Gladiator and it also says it's not rated for flat towing. Other than that it is a nice looking bumper. The Rugged Ridge bumpers that are rated for flat towing are in the $800 range...

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm only aware of two bumpers that say they are rated for towing; Rock Hard 4x4 and LoD bumpers. Most the bumpers that have welded D rings will say they are not rated for towing, I'm sure it's the lawyers talking but none the less that is their stance. Rock Hard does make brackets that work with Blue-Ox, RoadMaster, or Reese tow bars. In the case of those, the stress point isn't the bumper itself but the bracket, and the bolts. Both of those bumpers are in the $800+ range for a full width.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rugged ridge bumper I linked to is the one on the white wrangler I posted a picture of,it is mine and has been pulled all over the last few years. The tabs are bolted to the frame in the red circle. I also believe it’s a lawyer thing. I guess you need to decide what your comfort level is.

[image]

This is my old wrangler with $50.00 tow brackets that I pulled with for 15 years.
Again bolted to frame.

[image]

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

That link is for the JK but the website states that it is NOT rated for towing. I also checked the same bumper for the 2020 Gladiator and it also says it's not rated for flat towing. Other than that it is a nice looking bumper. The Rugged Ridge bumpers that are rated for flat towing are in the $800 range...

Well yes I posted a jk bumper because the op said he had a 2016 wrangler.
All wranglers from 2007-2018 are jk’s. As far as the gladiator I don’t know were you are going with that.
One other thing those “hooks” on the stock bumper are recovery hooks and used to pull you out when stuck 4wheeling and each one is rated at 5500lbs so technically you could tow it with one hook.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> JEEP as TOAD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.