Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Dometic fridge woes.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic fridge woes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your refer is just fine. The temps are actually better than expected. I would now switch to LP and see if the refer maintains that 23 to 30 degrees over 24 hours. If NOT, then I suspect your new tstat is defective. Doug

btcruzer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinkin the refer is good. Was worried about a damaged cooling unit.

At 8 this AM I moved the selector from MAX to 7 .. the temp has stayed at 26 or below with inside RV temps as high as 101. RV parked in full sun with back of fridge to the sun.

Been measuring the the temp of the tube above the evaporator. Some advertisement for a product to protect from overheating says fans on this tube should start at 139 degrees and shut off at 109. Mine has done on its own without fans but I can lower the temp with a small fan.

I've tried all kinds of fans, locations and baffles... nothing seemed to help the

This tube never got very hot on gas. Gonna let the thing run until this evening and switch it back to LP with no other changes and let it run for 24 hrs. Maybe now that it is hot the LP mode can keep it hot.

Earlier while messing with all this the refer was empty. Sometime yesterday I put 2 gallons of water (room temp)in. That was there through the night and was not frozen this AM even though the box temp was 23. Around 8 this AM i opened the box and added 2 frozen blue packs and 5 small palm sized cold packs. The temp went to 25 but was back down to 23 shortly. . have maintained temps within 3 degrees while interior RV temps have increased almost 30 degrees.

Been interesting --- will report tomorrow.

The Good Times are Coming !

btcruzer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess so far all I have found is that the thing works well on a/c. The whole idea of buying the Roadtrek was to be able to boondock at race tracks for 3 or 4 days without running a gen. So I am particularly interested in the LP option.

At 5 PM I switched to LP mode. Nothing else was changed. Except the temp inside the rv has dropped from 105 degrees to 94. Within 5 minutes the refer temp increased to 27. The condenser tube I had been monitoring for temp dropped from 114 to 107. I was running a small fan on the condenser fins but turned it off when switching to gas. Without the fan the condenser tube was over 130 degrees at times. Time will tell.

* This post was edited 07/14/20 04:31pm by btcruzer *

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btcruzer wrote:

I guess so far all I have found is that the thing works well on a/c. The whole idea of buying the Roadtrek was to be able to boondock at race tracks for 3 or 4 days without running a gen. So I am particularly interested in the LP option.

At 5 PM I switched to LP mode. Nothing else was changed. Except the temp inside the rv has dropped from 105 degrees to 94. Within 5 minutes the refer temp increased to 27. The condenser tube I had been monitoring for temp dropped from 114 to 107. I was running a small fan on the condenser fins but turned it off when switching to gas. Without the fan the condenser tube was over 130 degrees at times. Time will tell.

I would state the new tstat is bad. Doug

btcruzer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug... we can eliminate the t'stat as a problem. ( As you suggested earlier) I bypassed all the controls on the LP side. Ran a tube from the unit cutoff valve directly to the burner assembly. Now only things involved are the LP tank, regulator, cutoff valve and Orifice. I had a manometer connected at the test port. 11 inch water column. Manually lit the flame. This arrangement should allow the burner to operate at full capacity with out any complications.

refer temp had been maintained at 20* to 22* on electric for at least 12 hours.
When switched to gas the refer temp went from 20* to 35* in 6 hours. Those temps don't sound bad but I know from earlier camping trips that the temp would got to 45 of 50 degrees if continuing on LP.

I increased the LP pressure from 11 to 13 and then to 15 with no change in flame appearance. Nor did the increased pressures raise the boiler temperatures.

Someone earlier had suggested that even though the pressure is correct that the flow might not be sufficient. I don't know how to test the flow but at this point I have to assume that the orifice is not big enough to allow a larger flame but a larger flame is needed to produce more heat.

It is ironic that with all this heat I'm wanting more heat to cool my refer.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you have narrowed the problem down to a BAD/Wrong orifice. Refers use very little LP in terms of Volume. The only variable now is the orifice. The system is working as designed except the Orifice is NOT large enough for the correct flame. I think you stated you are not the original owner of the RV. Who knows what previous owners did. Doug

btcruzer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

actually.i have a hopefully bigger jet on order. presently the installed jet is a 43. I have a 48 on order. It will be a while. Jet is supposed to arrive next week but we'll be on a trip..sadly- the manual for this model specifys a 43 jet..you'd think that would indicate that something was amiss with this jet. as we're warned not to poke into it..hard to imagibe one could screw it up cause less flow.
UPDATE..I now have a bbq tank and the original regulator rigged up to now bypass EVERYTHING except the burner assembly with the 43 jet..guess what ! same results.

Thanks for all the input/ideas. I'll post results when 48 gets tested.

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btcruzer: Where are you able to locate the larger jet? I contacted Dometic about purchasing another jet sometime back and they just blew me off and said it wasn't available. Very anxious to hear about your results with the new larger jet. My Dometic is acting like yours and always has even when new.

trailrider

new plymouth, idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What did I already suggest on the previous page? Put in a new orifice!

2020 Chevrolet 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

btcruzer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ERNIE1 - found the jet on ebay..no guarantee that it will fit
picture looks like it but who knows. $10 and I'll take the chance..no more ideas..
no idea how to find it again..I googled "ebay dometic jet" passed the phone and told wife to order. I'll try to remember to let you know if i can get the sellers info.especially if this fiasco works.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic fridge woes.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.