cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar controller float charge at 13.6

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I have an small trailer with 200w of solar panels and two 6v deep cycle lead-acid golf cart batteries. The controller I have is Renogy Wanderer 30A, described as capable of separate bulk, absorption and float charges and apparently is programmed to float at a fixed charge at 13.6v after the batteries are fully charged.

The float is not adjustable on this controller. I note that when in float, the amperage going to the batteries at 13.6v is very low, typically less than 1 amp.

My other trailer has a converter which charges at 13.2v float, which I believe is a sign of a good multistage charging system that does not overcharge the batteries.

Is this solar controller overcharging my batteries in float? Or is the low amperage at 13.6v a safe float?
6 REPLIES 6

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
For all standard Lead Acid batteries, the nominal float voltage is 13.5 give or take a few tenths. The original poster has no problems.....its a non issue.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever performed an equalization charge on your 6v battery bank, may help?
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My WindyNation MPPT 30 floats at 13.5.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Look up the manufacturer's recommended float voltage range for your batteries. Compare that to what you controller is doing. Anything else is nothing but guessing.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
13.6 is fine when you consider it is off (zero volts) 12+ hours a day.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
from what I have read anywhere between 13.2 to 13.8 is acceptable for a float, mine is 13.6 also on both my solar and my plugin.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100