cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground on river VA/WV/KY

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, we are looking for a campground that is on a river we can kayak and canoe on up in the mountains of WV/VA/KY. Any thoughts?
10 REPLIES 10

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
NCMODELA wrote:
Thank you. I looked up the directions to camp clinch and it looked pretty windy up 31 to get into the valley. Will a 35โ€™ camper fit up those roads ok?

It is windy and the pavement runs out about 2 miles from the campground, but we have taken our 43' fifth wheel in there with no problem. You have to go slow and there is only one lane part of the way, but I have seen a couple of large buses in there and we have gone several times, along with friends that have large fifth wheels.

(Sorry it took so long to get back with you, been on vacay and did not use any internet).
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
2 beautiful WV State parks that we stayed at right on prestigious rivers and well off the beaten path....

Audra state park
Watoga state park

If you go during low water conditions, you may want to consider bigger rivers with campgrounds like the upper Potomac and James in Va or New river in WV.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Havenโ€™t been there myself, but Shenandoah River State Park in Virginia seems to be highly regarded, including by the reviews at Campground Reviews.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Virginia, check out Douthat SP or Hungry Mother SP. I've never visited Bolar Mountain but heard it's very nice.

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I looked up the directions to camp clinch and it looked pretty windy up 31 to get into the valley. Will a 35โ€™ camper fit up those roads ok?

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our reservations in WV were cancelled. Can't have out of state campers yet and today, 11 July, WV had the highest percentage of new cases in the US. Lots of rivers like that in WV

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
For something away from the crowds of the New River Valley and those large campgrounds, check out Camp Clinch. It is only about 20 minutes from I-81 in the Great Southwest of Virginina. They have WIFI, but cell service is pretty non-existent.

Natural Tunnel SP is about 10 minutes away and also offers camping, but it is not ON the river.

You get mountains, you get trails, you get a river, a full hookup site and plenty of silence.

If you want to venture to TN, Douglas Dam Headwater Campground is right on Douglas Lake, a part of the Tennessee Valley Authority. There aren't many trails close by, but you are right on the lake.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
New River is popular with Kayakers for decent white water paddling.

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Thank you. I was looking specifically for ones on rivers. And I figured Iโ€™d ask while I am searching every campsite map to find one.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Virginia state parks are supposedly all open. Va State parks
In particular, you may find new river interesting.
As are some COE parks