cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

100 days till snowbirding........ maybe not

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Generally each year we take off in the first week of Nov. +/-. We normally travel to LA or to Az then back to Fl for the winter. We have a Jacuzzi a double slab for the TT, a shed and a flower patch. We hook up and do cards, pegs and jokers, bingo, pot lucks, dances and entertainment. All of which are not done without social distancing.

We always laugh because at the card games many bring in candies and other treats then after a week of two they complain the cards are sticky. Point being it is a giant love fest with fun and great times. And a great place to get sick.

BUT ....................... this year we are not in the hugs mode, we do the mask thing and don't linger at the stores and stay at our cottage up north as the virus tolls are very, very low. So Florida looks like a bust. We are being told by many in our park that they are not going to come and the Canadians are not allowed to come.

What is your winter plans looking like?
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.
29 REPLIES 29

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
that is an aspect I never thought of. I had planned to leave my RV in storage in Guadalajara. I am glad I drove it home now. Just got a report from my brother in law in Puerto Vallarta. All hospitals there are now at 100% capacity.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Not being able to go south creates other problems for those with permanent units,park models or homes . One could end up with a home that is unoccupied for 2 summers. The heat and bugs will damage our homes. Once the border opens ( or maybe if) i will head south. That could easily be a year from now.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The only consolation is my parents are still alive and they tell me it was worse during the blitz. They had no food, Internet, or Netflix, and masks did little to protect against bombs.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Life's a *****.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
I am hopeful for a vaccine by year end. The purpose of my post was not to discourage anyone but emphasize the need to take as many precautions as possible.

I have followed a lot of this and am a broken hearted RVer this winter. I have not found any credible scientist or knowledgeable person that says they're will be a vaccine that is going to be totally workable though even next year there are just to many variables to this virus. There may be one that works for some and then is not effective for others much,much testing will be required for a finial solution and then it will need to be redone for the next year. We will wait
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I am hopeful for a vaccine by year end. The purpose of my post was not to discourage anyone but emphasize the need to take as many precautions as possible.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about your loss Tequila, folks need to take this serious, my brother lives in San Antonio, he works for the Toyota plant there, he contracted the virus at the supposed sanitized plant when the idiot politicians had to reopen the economy, he and 6 others contracted the virus at work, then my nephew and his wife also got the virus not from my brother but she caught it at work, she is a radiologist at Lackaland AFB, there are no more beds to receive patients so they are taking some of the overflow from the hospitals, only those that have two feet in the grave are taken in if there is space otherwise they are sent home to die, take this serious, I think that this will continue until this time next year.

navegator

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila, very, very sorry for the loss of your friend. Covid-19 is so unpredictable, apparently very contagious, and, in far too many cases, too dangerous to not take seriously. Thank you for sharing your heartbreak. A word of reality helps us all proceed with the utmost awareness and caution.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Just so everyone knows, a friend of mine died of covid on thursday. He got it while RVing. He ended up on a ventilator for 2 weeks, his wife just got sick. It is possible to get it RVing, and every time you are traveling you inevitably come in contact with strangers who may not even know they have it. His wife has no idea how he got it. Maybe getting groceries or filling with fuel. It just goes to show you cant be too careful. It is safer staying at home where you can restrict the number of others you come in contact with. Myself, I have just had a bucket of cold water poured over me. I am staying put until this recedes or there is a vaccine. Just to make it real here is a photo

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I normally take my RV down to Melaque Mexico. I can maybe get across the northern border as I have a mexican resident card, they let people transit canada for Alaska, but it seems too risky. I booked a flight for november and will rent instead, but I may cancel. A winter in Canada beats 20 more in a grave.

dedmiston
Moved from Parks, Campgrounds, and Attractions.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
philh wrote:
Still have our FL trip planned in Christmas.

This will be completely burned out by November.

How do you know it'll be burnt out by November. Hey I'm all for optimism but why would you say that?

SARS had 2 years to the last death. Spanish Flu (yes there are still odd cases) took 3 years for the bulk of it. So why do you for one minute think COVID-19 and all it's mutant strains will be wiped out by November?

It's a bit like all the posts I read about "when the vaccine comes out". How can those folks be sure there will even be an effective vaccine. Again, it was partially developed we are told, but never used for SARS. Even our Flu vaccines each year are a guess as to which maybe 3 strains might be most prevalent to target.

I wish I had the crystal ball on all this that some do. In the meantime, right or wrong advice from those that "seem" to know better than me, thank you to all who wear their masks to protect me as I do mine to protect you when out in public!

Do you think you'll be able to enter the US?????? Will you???? WHY !!!

Hey Tom, I'm by no means saying we'll be able to do anything or anything will happen, hence I don't have a crystal ball in all this like "some" seem to make statements implying they do! At the end of the day the USA has the right to keep us out of there same as other countries have same right to do so with their countries.

As for WILL I? If I'm RVing then possibly, because I personally believe we are more socially distant than being in a SnB. We wear masks when we are out in public for groceries/gas, sanitize to the point our skin is almost dropping off, which begs the question if we'll have resistance to anything at the end of all this, and we tend to boondock remotely so ...........

WHY? Why not if we are legally allowed to and we feel that the risk is no worse than staying home for our individual circumstances.

At the end of the day it would be more in the interest financially I would think for the USA to open to Canadians than the other way around from a "travel perspective of dollar spending". Assuming the data of for every 2 Canadians heading south only 1 American heads into Canada. But again, I know absolutely nothing or diddly squat for sure so .......

I was just saying, why are people making the assumptions they are about being over by November, or a vaccine coming out, when none of us knows anything in that regards, and can only hope we are being guided right on the internationally worldwide general consensus to "wash/sanitize hands regularly", "keep social distance" and sneeze/cough into our bent elbows. That and being urged to wear masks to protect others, all of the aforementioned we try to follow. We are not about to predict anything. We do have a loose plan of "would like to do's", if things are safer and when opened up eventually.

We aren't in anyway trying to cause an argument. Just curious how so many folks are so confident referencing taking an unknown side effects vaccine that will supposedly be here soon and having a timeframe for when this will all be over!

Good luck, my wife's cousin is marred to an Canadian....... they have not been able to see each other since March. She works in Canada so they cannot get together till this ends. I know many,many Canadians and they are the best but in today's world I cannot see them and they cannot come here..... this sucks.
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are full-time, so will be heading south. We will make reservations, pay online or by phone for our site and have our site # when we drive in. No contact necessary. Heading for a small town that has had 238 cases in the county. We don't have to be within 6' of anyone and practice safety when pumping gas or grocery shopping. Life will be about the same as it is here in MI for the summer. The only things that would change where we go is winter weather predictions, or states closing their borders, but we have to go somewhere warmer. Not spending winter in MI where we are for the summer.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
OMG. LOL, I just realized what you meant by "all over in November". That's when your elections are done. LMAO.

I thought rather than edit the above, I'd let you Americans all keep on laughing at me. Please don't hold my dumbness against my fellow Canucks.

Hope you all get the right "person" for the job when the time comes! ๐Ÿ˜‰
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars