Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Printing?

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goot Afternoon all;
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bout the 10th of June our printer quit excepting commands from this computer. DW's computer continued to talk with the printer for about another week, then it just quit. I went into her computer and was able to restore it back to the the 14th of June, just before the update), then about a week later it quit talking with the printer again (after another update). They both quit after a stupid Windows 10 update. From all the research I'm done it is said that an Adobe Flasher Player update adds something that screws up the connection between computer & printer. Now neither computer will let me restore back to before June 14 so I uninstalled everything to do with Adobe Flash Player & it has not worked. When we try to print it says it's spooling then says it's printing but nuttin happens. I can still scan & send from the printer to both computers but not from the computers to the printer to print.
Anybody have any thoughts or ideas on how we can fix this problem short of dumping 10 and reinstalling it from scratch hoping to get rid of whatever windows installed in that update and then having to reinstall every other program we use.

Thanks
Milo
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰
25 REPLIES 25

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
1492 wrote:
I'd first make sure the printers are working with a USB cable? If so, check printing with an Ethernet cable if laptop/printers are so equipped to determine if it could a network issue? There are USB to Ethernet adapters for laptops if none built-in. No drivers should be required in WIN10?

May/June update breaks pretty much everything with SOME, not all printer manufacturers whether wireless or wired, doesn't matter, MS didn't play favorites on this one.

Just another one in the long line of botched updates..

Folks really need to get with the program of backing up the OS via imaging.. Or suffer the consequences.

Some of the more memorable botched updates was MS deleting USB drivers from the PC, you lost the USB keyboard, mouse and even the touch screen so nothing short of a backup image or full reload of the OS would fix it..

Then there was the time MS removed the wireless network card drivers, yeah, very few laptops have a wired Ethernet connection leaving you with the only alternative of reloading an image or reloading from scratch..

Then there was the ultimate one of MS DELETING your entire contents of your hard drives.. Yeah, without a backup you no longer had those cute pictures of you kids growing up..

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gulfcoast wrote:
My printer quit working at that same time, I thought my laptop had gone bad. I tried three printers on this laptop and nothing.

It's an HP wireless printer and it will not work on Windows 10. The printer will work on an old desktop though.

What do we do to get it working again?

A top notch Win10 forum called TENFORUMS is most likely your best source for help with all things gone south with Win10 updates.

As mentioned in the posts above, you need to roll back the bad updates (AKA KBs) as part of the fix. However, simply rolling back may not 100% fix the problem and may require additional work.

Ultimately, however, the real fix is to ensure you make backup images of your PC for just such botched updates. Then instead of having to figure out just how to fix what MS broke you simply load the backup image over top of your now broken OS.

I will also give you a direct link on how to Backup and restore Win10 using imaging software. It will save you a lot of dead brain cells in the future.

HOW TO BACKUP AND RESTORE MY OS

Additionally several updates back broke an important HD TRIM function for SSD drives and has not been resolved yet even with the latest broken update.. Without TRIM working correctly the OS now treats solid state drives as if they are spining drives and will defrag the drive which is not needed with SSD and will eventually wear out the SSD memory cells.

MS has lately allowed folks with most versions of Win10 to be able to DELAY the updates.. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS DELAY, doing so will help you avoid getting hit with the buggy releases by giving MS time to recall or fix the buggy release. You are not going to miss anything other than losing your mind.

If your version does not have the delay, then go to the WinTen forum and you can read up on the third party programs which allow you to take control of how you get updates.

Sorry, I myself have mine set to full manual control so I can sit back and watch the complaints roll in and wait until the complaints go away..

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have W10 version 2004 installed? Here's information on fixing printer problems with that release. https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/19/windows-10-kb4567523-for-version-2004/
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

I'd first make sure the printers are working with a USB cable? If so, check printing with an Ethernet cable if laptop/printers are so equipped to determine if it could a network issue? There are USB to Ethernet adapters for laptops if none built-in. No drivers should be required in WIN10?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My printer quit working at that same time, I thought my laptop had gone bad. I tried three printers on this laptop and nothing.

It's an HP wireless printer and it will not work on Windows 10. The printer will work on an old desktop though.

What do we do to get it working again?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
milo wrote:
1492 ...
Thanks. I use the disc to get it started then to start actual download, it takes me to the Brothers install web page to install the the app and newest drivers.

Milo

Correct.

This is no longer 1990s and Windows 3.1 anymore, most hardware vendors do not put the drivers on the included disc, heck, you are lucky to get a disc and most discs now days may just have a PDF of the manual and no drivers.

W10 plays a lot different than any other OS when it comes to drivers, what used to work, no longer works and when you do get it to work MS comes along a makes it no longer work.

Milo, did you try to locate the Universal PCL drivers that was mentioned in the article I linked?

That may be the only hope to get it working until MS fixes the fix..

Another thing that sometimes can be done is to trick Windows into using an OLDER set of Windows drivers for your device. Not easy to do or even find the drivers. In a nutshell, often all it takes is finding the printer driver INF file. I have had some success with installing very old hardware using a driver INF file for several OS versions back (IE used driver INF for Windows 2000 to install a old printer on Win7).

The problem now days is MS has pulled the plug on most old hardware drivers for older OS versions and I was able to find the Win2000 driver disc which came with the printer (back when they really did put INFs on the disc).

Driver INF files are nothing more than a text file that contains a description of the hardware which POINTS the OS to the CORRECT Universal generic driver for that hardware provided by MS of all things.

I have also used this trick to get Win10 to recognize unsupported Intel PC chipsets in order to get USB ports and on board video to function.

I cannot stress the importance of making an backup image of your Win10 PCs. When MS released Win10, they fired their entire QA department and instead they rely on non paid "Insiders" to be the testers which are nothing more than volunteers who get the earliest versions that are released, then telemetry information is sent back to MS..

Not sure how much errors are allowed before that is rolled out to the general public but from my observations it doesn't look like they have a very high bar set..

I would really highly recommend you got to TENFORUMS.COM to get further help. There are a lot of good W10 folks on that forum that are knowledgeable and most likely will be able to walk you through not only how to get your printer back online but also help you get started with making backup images.

In the future, you REALLY do need to take full control of your PC Updates, MS has given the option to defer/delay updates to pretty much all versions of W10. Delaying most likely would have avoided this bad update. WinTen forum also has information on how to go about taking control of how updates are done.

Delaying allows some time for issues to be found and when they are bad enough, MS does actually recall the updates.

Do not blindly allow MS to put their untested update viruses on as soon as it is available or otherwise make darn good and sure you have a backup image of your PC to restore when they break it.

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 ...
Thanks. I use the disc to get it started then to start actual download, it takes me to the Brothers install web page to install the the app and newest drivers.

Milo
2014 Cougar 26sab

milo wrote:

Thanks...Printer is a Brothers MFC-J615W.
Uninstalled printer, rebooted computer, & reinstalled it with the disk that came with the printer & installed & updated all the latest drivers. Nada!

Just a thought, I would not install anything from the original discs? If fact, I never use any discs that come with hardware, which tend to already be outdated? Instead, go the the manufacturers website, and download and install the latest available drivers/apps.

Installing updated drivers after the fact doesn't necessarily overwrite existing files? It's better to do a fresh install with the latest available drivers/apps directly, especially if you are experiencing issues?

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well we finally figured out how to get documents printed if need be. We figured out we could download the printer app to our phones and we can print from our phones until we get the computer to printer figured out.

Thanks for every ones help

Milo
2014 Cougar 26sab

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"But I will endeavor to persevere."

Keep at it Lone.

The more I read of these issues with Windows 10, the more I'm glad I've stuck with Windows 7. Seems like there's more danger from Microsoft than any hackers. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well Garry, that didn't work. I even uninstalled it, rebooted the computer & reinstalled the printer, rebooted the computer, added the port to match the printer...same ole same ole. Says it's printing ...but nuttin. I had (last month) uninstalled those 2 updates (KB4560960 and KB4557957) that Microsoft put in back in June. So I don't know. But I will endeavor to persevere.

Milo
2014 Cougar 26sab

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ruralgas;
Thanks Garry. I will give what you said a try and see if that fixes the problem. I will report back when I've gone thru that process.
2014 Cougar 26sab

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Sound like OP got hit with the June Update..

That's exactly what happened!
2014 Cougar 26sab

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Milo:
Go to your Control panel. Open it and select Hardware and Sound. Then go to your Devices and Printers. Click on that. This will bring up your printers. Your Brother printer will likely be selected as the default printer. Right click on your Brother printer and then select Printer Properties. Once in that screen go to Ports. Open the Ports tab up. More than likely you will see that a Port WSD will be selected; with a check mark.
Go to your printer and turn it on. Then select Menu button and go until you come to Network Configuration. Select this and print this off. On the printout you will see IP Settings. Under that you will see an IP Address.
Go back to your computer and in the Ports screen, click on Add A Port. Enter that IP Address in the space and click apply.
Your computer will then be on that new port. Print a test page and it should work.
I had this problem with my Lenovo laptop and my wife's Acer laptop. Tried the uninstall and the reinstall; no luck. Made these changes and they both work excellent. Some kind of problem with that default WSD (web services) port setting?
Good luck.
Garry