Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Printing?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Printing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the latest drivers from Brother.
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj615w_all

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sound like OP got hit with the June Update..

Uninstalling printer/printer/software/drivers does not fix the issue..

Win10 update breaks printing

"Windows 10 users are reporting that they are unable to print using devices from multiple vendors after installing updates for Windows 10 versions 1903, 1909, and 2004 devices released on June 9, 2020.

KB4560960 and KB4557957, the updates causing these issues, are cumulative updates that were released on Tuesday with security fixes for multiple Windows 10 components, as well as improvements and fixes for various Windows 10 features."

According to the full article you will need to remove the two offending updates (KB) and the you will need to go to your printer manufacturers website and locate the Windows 10 Universal PCL6 drivers and install them until MS gets their act together and releases another update which will no doubt cause other collateral damage [emoticon]

Once you get things working, make a full system backup image of your PCs.. In this day and age this is one of the most important things you can do.. MS updates are like the "virus of the month club" and you just do not know exactly how your PC will act when they get done having their way with it..

To make backup images you can use some free imaging software, Macrium has a free version and a few software vendors versions are free also. You will need an external USB drive with enough space to store the image(s) of your PCs. $70 now days gets you a 2TB drive.

Once you have your base working image, you will then make new backup images even just once a month or after an update happens and you are sure the system is working fine.

Never rely on the built in Win10 backup or even roll back, often like your case, it fails or disappears..

MS did add the option to delay updates for most versions, I would highly recommend you take advantage of this. Delaying can allow you to wait out the bungled updates until they recall it or issue a fix to the bungled update.

Otherwise there are free third party software out that allow you to take control of the update process.

Ruralgas

Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Milo:
Go to your Control panel. Open it and select Hardware and Sound. Then go to your Devices and Printers. Click on that. This will bring up your printers. Your Brother printer will likely be selected as the default printer. Right click on your Brother printer and then select Printer Properties. Once in that screen go to Ports. Open the Ports tab up. More than likely you will see that a Port WSD will be selected; with a check mark.
Go to your printer and turn it on. Then select Menu button and go until you come to Network Configuration. Select this and print this off. On the printout you will see IP Settings. Under that you will see an IP Address.
Go back to your computer and in the Ports screen, click on Add A Port. Enter that IP Address in the space and click apply.
Your computer will then be on that new port. Print a test page and it should work.
I had this problem with my Lenovo laptop and my wife's Acer laptop. Tried the uninstall and the reinstall; no luck. Made these changes and they both work excellent. Some kind of problem with that default WSD (web services) port setting?
Good luck.
Garry

milo

4 Corners

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Sound like OP got hit with the June Update..

That's exactly what happened!

Janet & Milo ...44 fantastic yrs 2gether ">
Mona Mo 12 yr old F Yorkie & (in spirit) Buddy our beloved Beagle
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ">

milo

4 Corners

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ruralgas;
Thanks Garry. I will give what you said a try and see if that fixes the problem. I will report back when I've gone thru that process.

milo

4 Corners

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Garry, that didn't work. I even uninstalled it, rebooted the computer & reinstalled the printer, rebooted the computer, added the port to match the printer...same ole same ole. Says it's printing ...but nuttin. I had (last month) uninstalled those 2 updates (KB4560960 and KB4557957) that Microsoft put in back in June. So I don't know. But I will endeavor to persevere.

Milo

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"But I will endeavor to persevere."

Keep at it Lone.

The more I read of these issues with Windows 10, the more I'm glad I've stuck with Windows 7. Seems like there's more danger from Microsoft than any hackers. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

milo

4 Corners

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well we finally figured out how to get documents printed if need be. We figured out we could download the printer app to our phones and we can print from our phones until we get the computer to printer figured out.

Thanks for every ones help

Milo

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

milo wrote:

Thanks...Printer is a Brothers MFC-J615W.
Uninstalled printer, rebooted computer, & reinstalled it with the disk that came with the printer & installed & updated all the latest drivers. Nada!

Just a thought, I would not install anything from the original discs? If fact, I never use any discs that come with hardware, which tend to already be outdated? Instead, go the the manufacturers website, and download and install the latest available drivers/apps.

Installing updated drivers after the fact doesn't necessarily overwrite existing files? It's better to do a fresh install with the latest available drivers/apps directly, especially if you are experiencing issues?

milo

4 Corners

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492 ...
Thanks. I use the disc to get it started then to start actual download, it takes me to the Brothers install web page to install the the app and newest drivers.

Milo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Printing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.