Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Black AC cover and other black items

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

Do you use anything in particular to bring the deeb black "back to life". I used to use a product called Pig Spit on the mat black parts of my old motorcycle and it brought faded mat finishes back to looking like new. I'm concerned using that though because it is a petroleum based product on a rubber roof which is apparently a bad thing. I scrub it with the soap and water when I'm cleaning the roof, but after about 3 years it's really starting to fade. Same with black TV antenna and black Max Air covers. Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Seriously you have BLACK covers.. Believe it or not WHITE makes them work better.

I agree. I see so many newer RV's with black or dark colors being used in many applications. RV's are hard enough to keep cool but those dark coolers increase the heat load.They may look great but builders should know better.
Not sure, wear a white shirt outside on a sunny day. Then put on a black shirt. Big difference!

The builders will build anything that sells, what makes sense isn't even on the chart.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Seriously you have BLACK covers.. Believe it or not WHITE makes them work better.

I agree. I see so many newer RV's with black or dark colors being used in many applications. RV's are hard enough to keep cool but those dark coolers increase the heat load.They may look great but builders should know better.
Not sure, wear a white shirt outside on a sunny day. Then put on a black shirt. Big difference!

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
303 is a very good product but I think it works best to keep it from fading in the first place.If it has already faded. The 303 will make it look black as you found out,but won't last long. Once it faded I think you will need to paint it or replace it.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use F11 on the trim and mirrors on my truck. Doesn't wash off. Expensive but I do the entire truck and have done the front of my trailer. It's basically a detail spray but you can put it on everything. Even great on Stainless steel.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello all- So I did end up going with 303 for all of the black plastics and trim on the camper. Looks great until it rains and then it runs like crazy. I made sure to really wipe it in and in most cases spray on the rag to apply, so I do not feel it was overused. Tried it again yesterday for certain areas. Again looks fantastic when done, but it rained this morning and those black plastic items are all streaky again. Any thoughts?

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
kellem wrote:
kfp673 wrote:
Sounds like 303 is the winner. Never tried it. I assume it's OK to use even if some gets on the rubber roof? Thanks all!

Well I hope it is.....I rub down the entire trailer and roof with 303 every 2 months and it's sustained it's new appearance.

Just use a car wash mop, only takes an hour with 30ft trailer.

Go through about a gallon per year, Amazon.

Interesting. Do you wet the mop or just spray it on and use the mop to spread it? Also, do you was the sides as well or only use 303? Thanks for the reply!

Simply spray it on then mop it out, leaves a rich shine and valuable sun protection.

When washing the trailer is a must " not often " I use Dawn dish liquid and let trailer dry completely before applying 303.
A wash and wax would compromise the 303's ability to adhere.

Duration of product ?
Roof beads water for approximately 2 months,sides and seals go a little longer.

Very satisfied with ease of application and how it keeps the vulnerable front cap and decals looking new.

Be careful on the roof.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:
kfp673 wrote:
Sounds like 303 is the winner. Never tried it. I assume it's OK to use even if some gets on the rubber roof? Thanks all!

Well I hope it is.....I rub down the entire trailer and roof with 303 every 2 months and it's sustained it's new appearance.

Interesting. Do you wet the mop or just spray it on and use the mop to spread it? Also, do you was the sides as well or only use 303? Thanks for the reply!

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
Kreylon rattle can works for me, and it will stay colorfast for a few seasons. For $6.00/can at Walmart it works very well, especially if you want to color match the A/C shrouds to the body which I did with my last rig.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got my 303 today and went to town on the plastics and some trim areas. Looks great! I read a lot of reviews on Amazon saying it washes off first rain so I guess we will see, but things like the black AC cover, propane tanks cover, and some trim areas look good as new! Hopefully it will last beyond the first rain.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With just minimal care, you can avoid getting product on the rubber roof. Yes, 303 is good, but needs frequent application. ProtectAll is good too, maybe lasts a little longer than 303.

Jerry

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote 303.