Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pet Peeves long road trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet Peeves long road trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Legally, you should hold a steady speed and let the merging vehicle pick a gap to take.

Nothing worse than trying to slide in behind someone while merging and they hit the brakes blocking you.

If they wind up running on the shoulder for a while because they weren't paying attention, that's their problem.

Totally agree, I've had numbskulls dang near come to a stop doing that crazy maneuver.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've found in general when I'm merging on to a busy highway with our motorhome and toad that the OTR truckers are usually the most helpful in either moving over or backing off to make a hole for me. I try to return the favor as much as possible...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

I've found in general when I'm merging on to a busy highway with our motorhome and toad that the OTR truckers are usually the most helpful in either moving over or backing off to make a hole for me. I try to return the favor as much as possible...

Can you explain why you should expect anybody to slow down to let you in?
Get YOUR head on your shoulders, look at the traffic, judge speed and drop in behind the one you expect to slow.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

I usually am towing my 6 X 10' cargo trailer {8' tall} behind my 24' Class C and you would not believe how many times some chucklehead fails to note the presence of my trailer as they merge or change lanes. As soon as the coach goes by they start to jam into my lane which is currently full of cargo trailer. I try and watch for these idiots and anticipate but have still come very close to disaster more than once.

[image]

[emoticon]

Paint that thing white (maybe even add some graphics). It will look more like a single rig to them .... the way it is now it's kind of the same color as the road, and that's probably why it comes as a surprise to many.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

You opened the door..so, I will step thru. I have a lifetime of professional driving and as time went on, dealing with accidents became a much more dollar driven science. It went from...who was at fault to...was it preventable. And there...right there, is the defining view. Was it preventable.

Accidents..no one wins. Injuries..so what if you are in the right? The injuries sustained can change your life. Will change your life.

Without a long winded lecture that no one is going to read...try this...you see an upcoming situation. You are in the right. But..a potential accident is now in view. If you get off the go pedal..if you move over..if you throw on the 4-ways...if you take action to prevent, never mind being 'right'. Look what you gain. One of the tings is less anger. Less frustration. Taking control of a situation is key. You can do that, by driving to prevent. A 4 way stop...you know what happens, right? 3 or 4 vehicles all get there at the same time...let them go thru. Control the intersection. Control the outcome. Same same traffic circles...control the environment. You win.

Gary Haupt

VERY good advice.

And drivers, there IS a 'doctrine of last clear chance', and YOU could be charged with an accident if you do not do everything in your power to avoid it. Check with your insurer (not your agent, but your insurer) or an attorney friend of yours if you think I'm blowing smoke.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just don't understand the need for people to be 2 feet off the bumper of the guy in front of them. Busy on ramps are the worst. Everybody is right on the arse of the guy in front of them so how do they expect to merge into a one car gap?

I do not agree with "go with the flow of traffic no matter how fast" philosophy. I'm towing a 10,000 lb trailer and can't stop on a dime if need be. Minimum is 45 on the expressway, max is what ever the limit is set. I don't do the minimum and I don't do the maximum either. I drive at what I think is safe for the conditions and amount of traffic. I leave a large gap that people think is there for them to fill. You need the patience of a saint to drive on the expressway today, that's why I avoid it when ever I can. Sorry in advance if you ever get stuck behind me.

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost 50 years ago my driver's ed teacher said, "Always remember that every driver on the road thinks that they are the best driver ever, and that no one else knows how to drive."

It seems that 50 years later that is still true.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the reasons i got a bigger truck , so i can actually speed up and slow down. Going to Florida last year from nj took its toll on me. People wouldn't slow down merging on the highway, so i eather had to lock up the camper, or try to speed up. Neither worked out well.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are in the left lane impeding traffic, you are violating the law in many states regardless of your speed. You are going to tick people off and you should be ticketed.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned this from an insurance agent I know. Yeah I was surprised so don't shoot the messenger!!!

From the IL State Police: Illinois law states BOTH vehicles must adjust speed and position to avoid colliding with each other. That means the driver on the main line of the interstate AND the driver of the vehicle entering on the ramp must adjust their speed and vehicle position to not hit one another. Sometimes motorists from out of state (and even within Illinois) think they get to stay in the lane and the person on the ramp has to yield to them. This is incorrect. Unless the ramp has specific instructions (typically during construction of other special circumstances) the sign posted here which is clearly visible at converging roadways means BOTH drivers have to yield to each other. Share the road and adjust for merging traffic. We hope this helps the understanding of the sign!

(625 ILCS 5/11-905) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-905)
Sec. 11-905. Merging traffic. Notwithstanding the right-of-way provision in Section 11-901 of this Act, at an intersection where traffic lanes are provided for merging traffic the driver of each vehicle on the converging roadways is required to adjust his vehicular speed and lateral position so as to avoid a collision with another vehicle.
(Source: P.A. 100-201, eff. 8-18-17.)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet Peeves long road trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.