Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Travel trailer warranties
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel trailer warranties

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've only got #3500 Dexter Torflex axles on my 2019 #7000 GVWR Rockwood 2511S. It does have 14" LR D tires which at the 65 PSI on the sticker exceeds the axle ratings for 2 of them and having probably close to #900 TW.

Just for comparison, my old 2003 #5000 GVWR Prowler had the same #3500 Torflex axles on it, but only the little 13" LR B rated tires which were only good for #2200 each.. I did upgrade to 13" LR D tires, but never had an issue with the Tork-Flex axles..

I'm surprised that a "Grand Design" has leaf spring suspension? Aren't those supposed to be a so called "high end" manufacturer?? From the prices of their units, I would think so??

I don't think my Forest River Rockwood is anywhere close to a "high end" model, and my 2003 Fleetwood Prowler, defiantly was not!

But, they both have had the Torflex as OEM and that's what sold me from the start.

As far as "warranty" work by the deal or the manufacture.. Well, all they are going to do is replace the same part that failed in the first place.. It'll just fail again in most cases..

I think you can go ahead and pay Lawyers to fight a fight that won't go anywhere, or just go ahead with your planned upgrade and start enjoying your rig!

I did have a "warranty" issue with my Rockwood. Fridge would not stay running after it cycled it's temp. I talked to the dealer and they said I'd have to bring it in, they would have to "trouble shoot" the issue, get approval of the warranty claim and just replace the main board of the fridge which is what I told them was the issue...

That would have taken well over a week, plus dropping off the trailer to them (which, they are only 2 miles away, but still a PITA for such an easy fix)

I just bought a new board for $100 and replaced it in about 30 minutes. It was a 2 day online delivery and I didn't have to take the rig to the dealer..

But, that's what worked for me.. Yes, I know they should "pay", but in the end, I have no problem with it, as the hassle of them to pay $100 just was not worth it to me when I am capable of doing the work myself.

Sure, replacing axles is a lot different deal.... I would not take that on myself as a DIY project either...

Just just saying that "warranty" work is not fun at all, no matter what the issue is... [emoticon]

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

36guy

Princeton

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Valhalla, the new axle specs are 4400, but not mine, it was an earlier model. The new springs sent by GD, were 4400 lb, secondly. I was visiting my daughter and for a lark, went to look at rv's for the day, ended up cutting an awesome deal and bought the unit.
And no, the dealer didn't pick it up, thought it was a bent axle, checked for that and sent me on my way. And, hitch weight is around 650, at 6800 without water and absolutely dry, the trailer is at the axles maximum. Load up 75 gallons of water.....you'd be looking at a bent axle.
I'm no piker, been building custom motorcycles and cars all my adult life, owned several rv's, my last one was a Cougar 244 fifth, for thirteen years it saw every type of road, never had a single issue with that trailer, and nothing but issues with this one.

reno6

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Bullet I have, while built pretty crappy, also has 3500# axles, but weighs 4800# so there is more of a cushion. It is crazy that they can use that weight axle on a 30 footer!

GrandpaKip wrote:

So, the “Grand Design” of this trailer puts 2 3500# axles under a 7500# gross weight trailer.
That’s what is under my 6000# gross weight trailer.
I agree, your trailer was built to an absolute minimum. What you are now paying for is what should have been there from the get go.
As far as warranties, basically it comes down to an extra phone call or email. So that you get to be told no twice.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 12:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Specs say 4400lb axles...even 3500lb should be fine with a GVWR of 7800 (should have around 1000lb on the hitch).

Real question is why on earth would you drive 15hr to buy? By the time you add gas, lodging, food, wear and tear on the truck and not having a local dealer, I would want a heck of a deal (as in a good $10k off compared to local).

I also don't get if it was clearly sagging, why the dealer or you weren't able to find out why.

If you can’t drive 30 hours ( not 15) for under $1000, you’re doing it totally wrong.
But thanks for the lack of useful input.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, GD changed from 3500# to 4400# axles on some models. The 3500#'s have a 5-bolt wheel, the 4400#'s use a 6-bolt. I have a GD 2650 with 3500# axles. Knock on wood, no issues yet.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Travel trailer warranties
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.