Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NC campgrounds with good internet

naadarien
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.

We are newly relocated to NC from VT and we are looking for a place to put our 30' Coachman. We want to park it all year-round so we can visit as needed. I am a consultant and work remotely so I need good internet at my site (there is always some webex meeting or VPN that I need to sign into).

It must allow pets so we can bring our Bernese Mountain dog with us, and the kids would like swimming and other activities available.

Location is really the least important thing though within 3-4 hrs of Greenville would be great, beach location over mountain is preferred, full-hookups, no flooded sites.

By far the most important thing is decent, stable internet in my rig.

I have looked through the campground directory, but personal experience would, by far, be more valuable.

What campground would you recommend considering those criteria?

TIA ๐Ÿ™‚
7 REPLIES 7

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are looking for a permanent location, you might be able to find a park where you can have the local provider set you up with a private hookup, with the requisite monthly fees of course. The most likely to have that option are either parks where you own the site or parks that are mobile home parks in disguise. You will also likely have better luck the closer to major metro areas you are. The number of parks that are willing and able to provide commercial speed to every site in the park as part of their site rental fees will be close to zero.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always have a VERIZON MIFI unit with us to use to connect to the internet with several of our devices we have with us... VERIZON has always been our provider of choice over the years and has always been available to use for us...

Since the MIFI box is small we can carry it with us on our short hiking trails we do alot...

Of course having a more modern CELLPHONE you can do the same thing just using the cellphone... I'm still using something similar to the GIBBS TV Show flip phones haha...

It seems the various camp ground are just too many people using their local setup... We would get all setup and having a smile on our faces like "Hey the Internet works here" only to find our an hour later nothing works haha... Everyone running around with their cellphones looking for a hot spot haha... Hard to depend on anything you don't have control of...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What you are hoping to find is as rare as hen's teeth.

Far better to use your cell phone with an unlimited data plan.

Unlimited does throttle once a certain amount of data is used. They call it "net work optimization".

My only internet source is my cell phone.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m trying to think of three in America....canโ€™t!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our seasonal campground has good internet. Using a Ubiquiti NanoStation,I get good, reliable internet - about 30 mbps down and 15 mbps up from the Access Point about 750 feet away.

That is not the norm though. Most campgrounds we've been to either don't offer free wifi throughout the campground (you have to be near the office) or if they do offer free wifi it is not very good. We've been to campgrounds where wifi was dial-up speeds at best if it worked. Some places we've had decent enough speed to check email or catch up on news, but that's about it.

As bucky said, bring your own, be it a hotspot on your smartphone or a Mifi/jetpack type device.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tether to my phone when away from home. Verizon unlimited, usb to the phone. I've never not been able to connect, even in some remote areas. I'm on it right now 59.6 down 9.5 up. Nags Head.
Puma 30RKSS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few previous posts about Campground Wi Fi.
If you need it for work, it's probably best to take your own system and do not depend on the CG system.