cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV carport/shelter

campbrojo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks- I searched around a bit but I didn't find any information that might answer a question I have about metal RV shelters.

We have a Winnebago 31' class C which is 9'6" high on the sides. The a/c unit adds more height.

We are trying to see if anyone uses a metal shelter an what side height you have.

Thanks.
2004 Winnebago Minnie Winnie WF311C
13 REPLIES 13

campbrojo
Explorer
Explorer
RV is 11' 5" with a/c cover. Depending on the roof we choose (basic box etc) looks like 12' side walls will be the safest bet.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I got Carolina Carports to put up a 18' x 36' with 12' legs for my 31' fifth wheel. I have been very happy with it

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 40 by 14 wide and I would agree you need 12 foot before the arch. Fourteen wide was a custom build for the company I went with. I had metal run all the way down the sunny side, 1/2 way up the other side. Enclosed back, and a fill in bib at the front with the cross member at 12 foot high.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

campbrojo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 13' wide area by 36' where the shelter will go. Certified for winds is a definite and 12 gauge on the support material. Husband is just wanting to make absolutely sure the RV will fit under with the a/c cover.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“class C which is 9'6" high on the sides. The a/c unit adds more height.”

So at this point you don’t know the height of your C. Time to measure carefully.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
campbrojo wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Mine is is 20x40 for my 29" class C , I have 3 sides closed with the front open, (no door) my RV is 11' 4" to top of AC, my front opening is 12ft.
This is the co. I used.https://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/

I've gotten some quotes from this Carolina Carports. They said a 10' side wall goes to 11' 6" center peak height. I'm looking to see what height the side wall would be.

Little confused here. Based upon what you said the wall would be 10'.
Measured mine and side wall is 12'before the arch is added and 15'3" at the center peak. Overall mine is 24'wide by 40'.
What ever you do make sure it is long enough to protect the camper on the open end.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carolina Carports is probably the most experienced in these parts. They go up in WV, Down in SC and probably more places than that. You tell them what YOU want and they will build it....depending on where in NC you are you might need some strength for snow. No builder will get close to those folks for a purpose built shed and usually done in a day

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
call your local builder they,ll make it to your needs no guessing ,guy up the road has one half sided works for him. p.s anchor it well.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I just measured our 29b and it is 9'6" from the ground to the extrusion at the top of the side. Then there is the sharp curve where the roof meets the sidewall. + 3 1/2", then the fridge vent on the sloped roof + 4". So just in from the side I'm over 10'.
Don't forget the ladder going up and over, mine is on the back but realtivley close to the side, max air covers.
I would go with a 12' wall, maybe 11' IF the framework went to a minimum clearance of 12'+. That would be the minimum if you are backing under from a level driveway.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

campbrojo
Explorer
Explorer
Not looking for a door. Just one side and the back enclosed. No eaves either. Stricly a canopy and one side closed to keep the southern exposure of the camper covered.

campbrojo
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Mine is is 20x40 for my 29" class C , I have 3 sides closed with the front open, (no door) my RV is 11' 4" to top of AC, my front opening is 12ft.

I've gotten some quotes from this Carolina Carports. They said a 10' side wall goes to 11' 6" center peak height. I'm looking to see what height the side wall would be.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
You will need a minimum of 12ft sides and if you will have a door you will need to probably go to 14 ft. We just had a 40x50 shed built 14ft eaves, so we can have a 13 ft roll up door. There are many variable in having what you want built, local codes are the biggest factor. I had built a temp tin shelter and had 10ft eaves and it was very close on getting TT in as I had to remove center poles and then reinstall after siting. Out here there are many carport types 8-10 wide with about 12-15ft eaves. These are standard 8ft eaves which have extensions to raise them. Had one at a place I worked for outside maintenance activities, see them around the area for rv storage. Check with your search engine for metal buildings storage in your area to get an idea. My c is about 12 ft high went with higher door in case we ever decide to up grade (doubtful).

example this is pic of double, rvs can be simple single but you get idea. http://www.westernstatesmetalbuildings.com/tucson-metal-carport/