cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Colorado Diesel

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Got a buddy that just picked one up, looks like what they call a long bed being 6 feet in length, crew cab and 4x4. Anyway he’s looking at different small campers and looking for anyone that tows a camper with a similar truck such as above. Anyone out there that tows with one? If so how do you like it? And what are you towing? Thanks
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.
8 REPLIES 8

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Traveling Robert now has Colorado.

YouTube and http://www.travelingrobert.com/

Thanks and will pass that along to him

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so far, I will pass info along. I really don’t know what he’s buying yet, I suggested pulling that truck behind a motor home. I read that GM is changing that truck in a year or 2 and supposed that the only engine will be that 2.7 turbo gas job.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
My buddy has a Colorado diesel. Uses it as a work truck and hauls a single axle enclosed utility trailer. He took it once for a work trip from Colorado to Texas. On relatively flat ground, running into a decent head wind, he wasn’t able to maintain 65 MPH. After a couple years with it he will be selling and buying an F150.

I think that is a great truck for most applications. Towing an RV just isn’t one of them due to the lack of horsepower.

That surprises me. The HP and torque numbers look good enough for a small cargo or TT. Wow.

186 HP and 369 TQ. That HP is pretty anemic for any tow vehicle.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
My buddy has a Colorado diesel. Uses it as a work truck and hauls a single axle enclosed utility trailer. He took it once for a work trip from Colorado to Texas. On relatively flat ground, running into a decent head wind, he wasn’t able to maintain 65 MPH. After a couple years with it he will be selling and buying an F150.

I think that is a great truck for most applications. Towing an RV just isn’t one of them due to the lack of horsepower.

That surprises me. The HP and torque numbers look good enough for a small cargo or TT. Wow.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbors towed a small Jayco Hummingbird TT with the GMC version (under 20'). It was OK, but they said they could "feel it behind them". They also have a GMC 1500 and said they don't even notice the trailer behind them in that. They've gotten rid of the small truck.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know about the diesel engine but the gas version is really great for a trailer under 7,000# GVWR. I've been towing my 30ft. 7,000# GVWR TT for over 30,000 mi. since 2016 and highly recommend it. If your friend got the Tow/Haul option on his diesel, he could haul a 7,700# trailer.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling Robert now has Colorado.

YouTube and http://www.travelingrobert.com/
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad