cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Raton Pass, New Mexico

tx_folks
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a nice RV Park or COE park in Raton Pass for a couple nights.
5th Wheel-2 seniors. Just staying One-two nights. Any suggestions of a favorite place to stay. Thank you!
Mike, Judy
and our maltipoo, Muffy ๐Ÿ™‚
13 REPLIES 13

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If I were coming to Colorado from north Texas, I would get off I-40 onto US 287 in Amarillo. It's a good road, no steep grades and no problems for RVs of any size. Most of the Texas segment is even four-lane. I know it well because I have been driving it for 57 years. Take US 287 to Lamar and then US 50 to the Lake Hasty campground at John Martin Lake State Park. You will have electricity, easily accessible water hydrants, a easy-in, two-lane, paved RV dump, flush toilets and showers, laundry, shade from huge trees, and pull-thru and back-in campsites, including some backing up to the small lake. Then just continue on to Pueblo on US 50 and Colorado Springs on I-25. You might even want to stop at Bent's Fort National Historic Site when you go through La Junta.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
On Hwy 64 just South of town before you get to the airport is the NRA Whittington center and they have two nice camp grounds
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
Trinidad St Park
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
most CG's will allow over night, if you plan so stay longer 14 day quarantine. The CG's are limiting numbers, not sure what the current count is, 50%
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Go to New Mexico and act as you always have, just wear a mask. I called the New Mexico Highway Patrol Admin Asst and got all kinds of ifs ands and buts. Nothing conclusive. Then called the campground in Bernalillo and they said "come on" no problem.
Apparently the NM governor is drunk with power and the LEO are ignoring her.
But, that could change tomorrow.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of misinformation here. We stayed in Raton Pass Campground and Cafe on July 6, 2020. We were met by campground hosts and taken to our campsite. Otherwise there was no difference than it has been in previous years. We have stayed there many times over the years. This was only an overnight for us and we moved on up to Colorado Springs as we had planned.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heisenberg wrote:
Raton Pass Camp and Cafe. Right at the top of the pass.

X2^^. You just have to self-isolate for the time you are there.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at the Raton Pass RV in June before the new rules. Even then they would only allow one person in the office at a time. I was not impressed with the park either, we got stuck behind the office. The whole place is a gravel parking lot. I imagine Capulin Volcano will be closed and Folsom site seemed to be closed when we were there. There is extensive construction going on at the interstate right outside the park that made navigating in/out a problem too.

The town was mostly closed too even then so I would cross this area, and state off my list until sanity returns, that county has had NINE total cases so far.

Drive over the border to CO is my advice.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There is Raton, the town. And there is Raton Pass about 6-8 miles away, which is only the top of the pass, and nothing there but the RV park. It is a nice RV park, or at least was when we were there a number of years ago. In Raton itself, the KOA was the nicest in town park at the time.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:
Negative, Haste Maker. NM requires self isolation for 14 days or the actual length of time spent in the state, whichever is shorter.
Correct. That does mean, however, to stay within the law they must not leave their RV site to sight see, go out to dinner, or engage in any other activity. If they stay at the park suggested, even going to the cafe attached to the RV park for coffee would be a violation of the quarantine order.
On the plus side, having crossed that pass a few times, I don't believe they will miss very much. It didn't appear to be a destination of any kind.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Negative, Haste Maker. NM requires self isolation for 14 days or the actual length of time spent in the state, whichever is shorter.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the NM rules for out of state visitors...I think if you stay in NM for 1 night you must be quarantined there for 14 days.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Raton Pass Camp and Cafe. Right at the top of the pass.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado