cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank dump plumbing replacement?

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
My kids got a used RV and on their maiden trip discovered the black tank dump plumbing leaks. Appears to have one or more cracks in the plumbing from the tank to the dump valve. They tried to patch it with flexseal to get them through the weekend but didn't stop the stinky drips.

Taking a quick look at the dump plumbing, it appears to be a series of 3 or 4 elbows from tank to dump valve with little to no pipe sections that could be cut and new elbows glued up to replace the cracked section(s).

How does the first fitting secure into the black tank? I didn't notice any flexible type seal or joint and a hose clamp, but again, was just a quick look, not a close inspection. My fear is that this first fitting is glued into the tank outlet?

Thanks for any suggestions! I intend to manage this repair and give my son-in-law instructions from a safe distance ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
19 REPLIES 19

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
Plumbing the two dump hose connectors together is fine but you want to keep separate valves. Otherwise you essentially only have one big combined tank. Better separate so he can drain black and then flush the hose with grey.

Honestly, if I was rebuilding from scratch, I would lean towards a single valve.

As long as you use plenty of water when flushing, it shouldn't be a big issue if they all drain together.

But if you don't fully utilize the kitchen gray tank, you effectively get more storage for the black & shower as they will back up into the kitchen gray tank.

valhalla360 - first thought for you...."we" all know the mfgrs will cut corners to save a buck at every opportunity. *If* your "one tank" plan is/was a good one - the mfgrs would be doing it already...:S

However - back to those codes you want. Code sections will vary from jurisdictions, however - Here's one to consider....

Depending on the location - whether city, county, state, or feds... if *spilled or leaked* - your "concoction" of black & grey is is a bio-hazard. Not so with "only" grey.

*Maybe* depending on the amount, and/or if you're quick with your own clean-up - or do same on "the sly" you may get away with it......if not, you may/will be responsible for paying for a licensed remediation outfit for clean-up!

As a former Haz-Mat team member, I can vouch for it being a reality.
Plenty of your fellow camper/neighbors will "rat you out"! The "authority having jurisdiction" may have very limited "leniency" options (if any).

BTW - It AIN'T cheap !!....:(

~

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Alan_Hepburn wrote:

The issue isn't the water from a shower backing up - it's the other direction: the shower pan is the low point in the system, so if your single waste tank gets full the only place for it to go is into your shower pan, bringing with it whatever is in that single waste tank. I'm sure your wife would not appreciate it if she's taking a shower when that happens...

I usually look before stepping into the shower (as does my wife)...maybe it's just us.

But even if it is backing up into the gray tank for the shower, while it's not hermetically isolated, it's going to be shower water coming back up...and it's still going to be nasty either way.

Still not seeing how it's going to jump to the fresh water system.

The concern is black water coming up into the shower while you are taking a shower.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Alan_Hepburn wrote:

The issue isn't the water from a shower backing up - it's the other direction: the shower pan is the low point in the system, so if your single waste tank gets full the only place for it to go is into your shower pan, bringing with it whatever is in that single waste tank. I'm sure your wife would not appreciate it if she's taking a shower when that happens...

I usually look before stepping into the shower (as does my wife)...maybe it's just us.

But even if it is backing up into the gray tank for the shower, while it's not hermetically isolated, it's going to be shower water coming back up...and it's still going to be nasty either way.

Still not seeing how it's going to jump to the fresh water system.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

If you overfill your shower, it's shower water you are standing in (unless you've put a recirculating pump from the gray tank in).

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Let me clarify ... by separate systems, I mean this trailer has a pipe exiting the black tank to a dump valve and dump hose connector - completely and totally isolated from the grey system.

Then it has another, completely separate and isolated pipe exiting the grey tank to a different, completely separate dump valve and completely separate dump hose connector ...

and in between the 2 sewer hose connectors is the generator exhaust pipe.

Connect the hose to the black tank, pull the dump valve, and dump the black tank. Disconnect the sewer hose and move to the gray tank connector, pull THAT valve and dump the gray tank.

I had discussions with him about putting new dump valves next to both tanks and plumbing into a single Y and connector. We both agreed to just fix whatโ€™s broken.

I've done enough plumbing, household up to center pivot irrigation systems that I'm comfortable with joints, fittings, pipes, glueing, bonding, etc that I can get through that part of the repair. What I wasn't familiar with is the actual coupling to the black tank. I see on Amazon and elsewhere that they sell repair parts and kits that include a flange for a tank which is what I'm hoping to see.

Lynnmor up above linked to a drill to resize the fitting to the original dimensions ... brilliant! ๐Ÿ™‚

And thanks as well to jdc1 for tips on getting the glued stub (if that's what we're facing) out of the connector.

Thanks for the input - appreciate it!
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
One valve for both tanks?
NOT!
After dumping your hose wont be flushed out.
As stated above, possible sewage backing up thru shower!
Not a smart move!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
4x4van wrote:
On the contrary. There are several reasons to keep them separate. First is, as has already been mentioned, the possibility of black tank smells coming through the sink and shower traps while driving. However, the biggest is that if you happen to overfill the grey, it comes up in the shower. It's one thing to have grey water in the shower, it's another entirely to have sewage in the shower.:(

If you have traps, smells won't come up. (and gray water often smells worse than black)

If you overfill your shower, it's shower water you are standing in (unless you've put a recirculating pump from the gray tank in).

So still waiting on a good reason.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Only reason to keep them separate is if you are somewhere that only allows gray water dumping. At one time it was considered acceptable to dump gray water on the ground but not black water. That was many years ago...now it all needs to go into a dump station and I've yet to find one that has separate drains for Black vs Gray. Who cares if it's all a Black water tank?

On the contrary. There are several reasons to keep them separate. First is, as has already been mentioned, the possibility of black tank smells coming through the sink and shower traps while driving. However, the biggest is that if you happen to overfill the grey, it comes up in the shower. It's one thing to have grey water in the shower, it's another entirely to have sewage in the shower.:(
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to patch the cracks I have had good results with Plasti Mend on my black water tank. It chemically melts the tank and makes a new layer.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flex seal is great stuff but .. not for that

GOOP works better

But ... You might want professional help with that job Pipes are replaceable. Just make 200% sure tanks are empty before cutting into the pipe.

pipe is easily found multiple places not exclusive to RV Though the valves you will need to get from RV source.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
C Schomer wrote:
BAD BAD IDEA! It's not just common sense and I can't recite them but there are strict codes to keep sewage and gray water isolated and handled properly and to protect your health and potable water! Back flow preventers, vacuum breakers, one inch minimum air gaps between any drain and water that even comes from a potable source and on and on, just for starters. Connecting black and gray would turn the entire drain system into a black system and that would be one step closer to contaminating the potable water. Sewage in sinks and showers, so close to the potable water system, not to mention sewage smell every time there was a dry trap. Unimaginable... don't do that to yourself! Craig

Please share these strict codes with us.

Black and Gray are already connected...there is no backflow prevention just a simple blade valve.

Only reason to keep them separate is if you are somewhere that only allows gray water dumping. At one time it was considered acceptable to dump gray water on the ground but not black water. That was many years ago...now it all needs to go into a dump station and I've yet to find one that has separate drains for Black vs Gray. Who cares if it's all a Black water tank?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
BAD BAD IDEA! It's not just common sense and I can't recite them but there are strict codes to keep sewage and gray water isolated and handled properly and to protect your health and potable water! Back flow preventers, vacuum breakers, one inch minimum air gaps between any drain and water that even comes from a potable source and on and on, just for starters. Connecting black and gray would turn the entire drain system into a black system and that would be one step closer to contaminating the potable water. Sewage in sinks and showers, so close to the potable water system, not to mention sewage smell every time there was a dry trap. Unimaginable... don't do that to yourself! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
schlep1967 wrote:
Plumbing the two dump hose connectors together is fine but you want to keep separate valves. Otherwise you essentially only have one big combined tank. Better separate so he can drain black and then flush the hose with grey.

Honestly, if I was rebuilding from scratch, I would lean towards a single valve.

As long as you use plenty of water when flushing, it shouldn't be a big issue if they all drain together.

But if you don't fully utilize the kitchen gray tank, you effectively get more storage for the black & shower as they will back up into the kitchen gray tank.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You may want something like this.