cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coaches with Chevrolet engines

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I’m looking at high end Class C’s. I know that Forest River class C’s offer the Chevy platform. Are there others?
7 REPLIES 7

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
Larger Class Cs have moved exclusively to the Ford chassis. Since higher-end C's tend to larger, you won't find much on the Chevy. Coachmen offers one Premier floorplan on the 260DS floorplan only. All other plans are exclusive to the Ford. The Forester Classic is available only with the 2501TS and 2861DS plans on the Chevy. Other fancier makers are Ford only across the board, like Entegra and Coachhouse. The Jayco Grayhawk Prestige is Ford only as well.

FWIW - My sister has a 2020 Forester on the Ford E450 chassis. It handles great, tracks well regardless of conditions, is quiet, and the floor doesn't get hot. They must be using the upgraded doghouse now (previously this only went into passenger vans) and the exhaust manifolds have heat shields I haven't seen before. Probably used formerly only on the Ambulance package. Anyways... miles ahead of the 2015 I drove last....

Bryan ... for what it's worth ... our 2005 Itasca Class C on the E450 chassis also has heat shields underneath between the exhaust pipes and the underside of the cab floor areas.

However, I have no idea if they were installed by Ford or Winnebago. In any case, routing the A/C air flow to the floor in hot weather should control any hot floor situation. Doing this A/C air flow routing via the cab dash controls is NOT obvious. It took a few years before we discovered how to do it, but it's not needed much in our case due to the heat shields.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Larger Class Cs have moved exclusively to the Ford chassis. Since higher-end C's tend to larger, you won't find much on the Chevy. Coachmen offers one Premier floorplan on the 260DS floorplan only. All other plans are exclusive to the Ford. The Forester Classic is available only with the 2501TS and 2861DS plans on the Chevy. Other fancier makers are Ford only across the board, like Entegra and Coachhouse. The Jayco Grayhawk Prestige is Ford only as well.

FWIW - My sister has a 2020 Forester on the Ford E450 chassis. It handles great, tracks well regardless of conditions, is quiet, and the floor doesn't get hot. They must be using the upgraded doghouse now (previously this only went into passenger vans) and the exhaust manifolds have heat shields I haven't seen before. Probably used formerly only on the Ambulance package. Anyways... miles ahead of the 2015 I drove last....
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Some Jayco's and I believe Gulfstream still offers some BT Cruisers with Chevy chassis.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mondooker wrote:
Hi guys, I’m looking at high end Class C’s. I know that Forest River class C’s offer the Chevy platform. Are there others?

You might want to check out this discussion thread too:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/ford-e450-vs-chevy-4500-a-496643.html#post5346425
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Four Winds and Chateau models

Chateau by Thor

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it is a good Choice Here read This Thread it will more than likely help you out. There a lot of others on the Chevy platform.

But I am a bit biased.....:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Google is your friend.