cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Kids - Quad Bunk with Ford Expedition?

kiwiLiv
Explorer
Explorer
Totally new to TT/RV'ing, and trying to get a setup sorted, but we seem to be going around in circles. This seems impossible:
- TT with a quad bunk
- Towable with a Ford Expedition (9000lb tow capacity)

We have 4 kids in carseats (3,5,7 & 9), so a truck is not an option (I am not willing for my 9yo in the front seat). So our best option is to get a Ford Expedition or Expedition Max since that has the highest towing capacity of 9300/9000lb.

I dont want my kids to have to share beds (no-one would get any sleep), but it seems like a quad bunk is crazy hard to find in a weight that would be towable by the Expedition. Am I missing something?

Note: we considered C-Class & A-Class, but ruled them out because it would be a major PITA to install, reinstall carseats every time you want to use the dining table (after you retrofit the seating to be safe for a carseat to be attached... assuming they actually have 4 front or rear facing seats). Looked at pop-ups, but I prefer the added privacy & insulation of a hard sided trailer... but perhaps this is what it has to be?!

Anyone out there with 4 kids able to tell me their set up? How does anyone with 4 kids make this work without a truck?? Im losing my mind trying to figure this out - help please!
26 REPLIES 26

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
kiwiLiv wrote:

We have 4 kids in carseats (3,5,7 & 9), so a truck is not an option (I am not willing for my 9yo in the front seat). So our best option is to get a Ford Expedition or Expedition Max since that has the highest towing capacity of 9300/9000lb.

I dont want my kids to have to share beds (no-one would get any sleep), but it seems like a quad bunk is crazy hard to find in a weight that would be towable by the Expedition. Am I missing something?

Sjm9911 wrote:
Keystone Passport 292BH SL Series. Still might be a bit big. But best I could Google.

My daughter has a similar family. They tow a Jayco 28BHBE (similar weight) with their Expedition Max, with no issues. Make sure it has the HD Trailer Tow option which includes a built in brake controller.

Don't overload the cargo area of the Expedition (they put the bicycles INSIDE the TT).

Try to find a TT WITHOUT an outside kitchen. It steals space from the bunk house and adds weight.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
One of our kids has 3 children. They now have a Nissan 3500 van and love it. They tow a 27’ Pioneer bunkhouse that would sleep 4 kids easy.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
A hybrid makes a lot of sense here.

We had a Chevy avalanche only rated at 7200 TC and pulled a Starcraft 21SSO hybrid for 10 years with 3 kids and a Border collie.

2 kids in one queen, wife and I in another queen, child and Border collie in double pull out sofa.....super great times.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
other options if you need more trailer than the bunk house i showed are a 3/4 ton van or a proper truck with a 2nd vehicle.

dont write off a popup either. i love them, will likely get another one day. they can be had with heat and air and a proper fridge, not like tent trailers of yester year
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few ratings you should look at besides tow rating when planning to tow a high walled RV. They are probably the most difficult type of trailer to tow for their weight. Pay attention to receiver rating, rear axle rating, and frontal area limitations, and as equipped payload per the tire and loading sticker on driver's door.

Most of the quad bunk TTs weigh 6000-8000 pounds dry. With a family of 6, expect to add another 1000-1500 pounds of clothes, food, food prep equipment, toys, bedding, etc. An 8000 pound TT will have over 1000 pound of TW. The TV (tow vehicle) will need to have enough tow capacity as well as available payload for the tongue weight and people and items inside the cabin. You have 6 young children now, but they all grow.

Practical and real world experience says that 8000 pounds loaded does not tow comfortably behind half ton SUVs. That Expy (2015+) has plenty of power from the Ecoboost engine. Since you said Expy or Expy Max, I assume you do not have either one yet.

Check out the GM 1-ton vans (Express/Savana) with 6.0L and 6-spd trans. Power is down compared to the Ecoboost, but payload is about double, at 3000 pounds vs. 1500. Especially used, they are great values. Amenities are low, like they top out where half ton SUV's start on equipment. Another good option is the Nissan NV3500. It offers a some more modern luxury and conveniences, more power and better gearing than the GM twins, but a little less tow rating and payload (still good for 8k loaded TT)
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Andrewmart
Explorer
Explorer
I was in your same situation. We have 4 kids (actually 5, long story). They are 6, 3, 3, and an infant. We bought a KZ SPORTSMEN SE 301BHSE due to the quad bunks. Nice for every kid to have their own bed especially as they get older. We have a 2017 Expedition with the HD tow package. The expedition can tow the TT but it was white knuckling entire time. We even got a Propride 3 WDH.

I posted a thread in the towing vehicles thread about a month ago and got good advice. We considered a Ford Excursion and Suburban 2500. Most excursions were rough on the inside and the suburbans back seat is tight and likely fits two comfortably. Most also had high mileage. After thinking about it, we got a 2015 F250 and what a difference. F250 tows the TT with ease. Passing semis and windy days are no problem. We got a 40/20/40 front seat and our 6 year old sits there. We went on a 4 hour trip and we all had plenty of space. Never felt cramped. Only concern is electric break is sort of in middle dashboard console by my sons feet, but we didn’t need to use it with a 3/4 ton truck.

I think you need to consider vehicle payload, rear axle weight, and hitch weight. With our expedition, we exceeded all three of those once packed in and hooked up. For a quad bunk, you’re likely looking at a similar situation. I also learned we were a little hitch heavy, and I’ve since fixed some of that. I personally wasn’t comfortable exceeding all weight limits and white knuckling it places. Most of our trips are only a few hours, so having someone in middle bench seat isn’t a big deal. We could also take two vehicles if needed.

If you plan on taking far trips, I can understand not wanting someone in front middle. I was same way until I test drove one. If not, consider it. If truck is out, look at Excursions, suburban 2500, or a 3/4 or 1 ton van (my wife nixed van..). An expedition can tow a quad bunk, but not as easy as the vehicles I mentioned. I’m also a newb to TT and towing large things. The confidence a 3/4 ton vehicle gives me is priceless.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
MitchF150 wrote:
Yep, totally different times for sure... When I was all of those ages (yes, back in late 60's- 70's) we just pitched a couple of tents! 🙂

My parents stuffed 7 kids in a single tent, with cots. They slept in a separate tent. Took two vehicles to get to campground. Dad drove the station wagon with 6 kids and Mom and oldest brother drove a VW Buss with all the gear. As kids went off to college and such my Dad would rent a U-Haul trailer pack everything in and it became a pantry/closet while there. GREAT TIMES.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
this is my setup. would likely work with your family as long as you realize the camper is for sleeping and poop'in not much living space.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately there’s not a great vehicle for this situation. I see this question on here every month or so. I wish Ford still made the Excursion, you might look for one of those, but it’s been awhile since they make those.
Take a look at hybrid campers, they have a lot of bed space, and aren’t real heavy.
Good luck in your search.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
As far as my setup, I also have 4 spaced the same as your kids. We made do in a bunkhouse of single on top and full on the bottom. I just told the kids that if they wanted to go camping they had to share a bed. So the oldest shared with the youngest on the bottom bunk. One took the top bunk and the 4th took the jack knife sofa. Once in a while I would drop the dinette into a bed, but I really never liked doing that.

Fast forward 7 years and the I was divorced and the youngest shared my queen up front for a year. Then my oldest turned 17 and stopped camping with us so the youngest got the top bunk. Another few years went by and now nobody wants to camp with me. It's weird how things can change in ways you might not have imagined.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Do you already have the expedition? My 2001 Suburban K2500 (3/4 ton 4x4) is rated at 10,000 lbs with the 6.0l engine

Move up to the 8.1 liter (yeah hard to find) and you get
With 3.73 rear end (10,600lbs)
With 4.10 rear end you get 12,000 lbs)
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
Chevy Express passenger van with the Duratec v8. They're only 'rated' to 10k pounds, but that's because the factory receiver is only rated for 1,000 pounds, the rear axle and the Duratec are both capable of a LOT more so just get a customer class V receiver installed.

Btw you'll have to get a 2016 or older, they dropped the big diesel in '17.

Here's a CURT rated for 17k/2,400 for this vans

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-15320-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00A8XHG2Y
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chevy Express passenger van with the Duratec v8. They're only 'rated' to 10k pounds, but that's because the factory receiver is only rated for 1,000 pounds, the rear axle and the Duratec are both capable of a LOT more so just get a customer class V receiver installed.

Btw you'll have to get a 2016 or older, they dropped the big diesel in '17.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
MitchF150 Yeah, I've done my time childhood camping in Australia. Didnt care much for the spiders and snakes... but y'all have bears and full on crazy big wild animals here... Im going to go with a house on wheels

Can't argue that, but depends on where you go too.. 🙂

Good luck!
Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.