Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US/Canada border still closed.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Closed until at least August 21st.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canada-us-border-to-remain-closed-to-non-essential-...

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
31 REPLIES 31

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
Orion wrote:
When we see news stories of places in the US where they actually have signs up saying that you CANNOT enter wearing a mask, makes me think that it will be a while before the border is opened!

Wow, that is absolute stupidity denying enter if wearing a mask. I wonder if those store owners were born brain dead.

Ummm, waste three minutes of your life and watch Fox News. Your question will be answered.

Thanks, just checked it out. It is hard to believe there are people out there that are so far out of touch with reality.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

No problem but it got me to thinking about it. They would both need an additional boat to do the exchange so each would either need a helper or bring a dingy to get out or get back. If they made the exchange right on the border (pretty easy with GPS) and both reported to their respective customs on return, would it be illegal? Also, would they both have to self quarantine for 14 days after they got back? Beats me.

For all practical purposes, if all parties reported to their respective agencies that should satisfy reporting requirements as long as their vessel was available for further inspection if that was required by U.S. CBP or Canadian CBSA.

As far as the 14 day quarantine, I have no idea. Not a Federal requirement. Seems lately these orders / requirements are issued by state or city authorities.

Good discussion.

Lakeside

I am not trying to be P.I.A...but, you are talking US. In Canada? The quarantine law is indeed a Federal Law. And willingly enforced.

Gary Haupt

Roger that, thanks Gary.

Lakeside

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Boon Docker wrote:
Orion wrote:
When we see news stories of places in the US where they actually have signs up saying that you CANNOT enter wearing a mask, makes me think that it will be a while before the border is opened!

Wow, that is absolute stupidity denying enter if wearing a mask. I wonder if those store owners were born brain dead.

Ummm, waste three minutes of your life and watch Fox News. Your question will be answered.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Orion wrote:

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, sadly we are seeing our numbers climbing past several days in Alberta. We hadn't hit over 100 positives since back on 2nd May until recently, and now it's daily again ๐Ÿ˜ž Sadly the majority are starting to become too complacent about it all.

Using common sense (rumour has it that's a dying trend today!), we've managed to enjoy camping in our wonderful province. Up to Jasper last week, up to Gull Lake this upcoming one. It's semi satisfying our urges.

As much as we love RVing especially in the USA, if keeping our borders closed, coupled with educating "yet again" our society on social distancing, masking, sanitizing, I'm all for it. Life is so precious, and even one death is too many from this dreaded virus.

Life is definitely for living, so be sure to live yours just with some restrictions. Keep your glass half full, and stay safe with happy travels. Remember our forefathers had a lot lot less opportunities than we have even today as we currently are. Let's learn to be satisfied where less can become more.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

No problem but it got me to thinking about it. They would both need an additional boat to do the exchange so each would either need a helper or bring a dingy to get out or get back. If they made the exchange right on the border (pretty easy with GPS) and both reported to their respective customs on return, would it be illegal? Also, would they both have to self quarantine for 14 days after they got back? Beats me.

For all practical purposes, if all parties reported to their respective agencies that should satisfy reporting requirements as long as their vessel was available for further inspection if that was required by U.S. CBP or Canadian CBSA.

As far as the 14 day quarantine, I have no idea. Not a Federal requirement. Seems lately these orders / requirements are issued by state or city authorities.

Good discussion.

Lakeside

With few exceptions (essential workers etc) persons entering Canada are required to self quarantine for 14 days. Persons transiting to Alaska are one of the exceptions, that is why there are strict rules about how how they are to do it. I didnโ€™t know if the US has similar rules. Some neighbours of ours who returned from Arizona in May received a visit from police to see if they were complying.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

Good discussion.

Lakeside

I am not trying to be P.I.A...but, you are talking US. In Canada? The quarantine law is indeed a Federal Law. And willingly enforced.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:

Good discussion.

Lakeside

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be.Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be. In this case, the fellow was doing maintenance on the boat when the border was closed and had to put it back together before he could return it to Canada.

As an aside, American boaters are quickly getting a bad name in BC because of their using the Alaska loophole to cruise Canadian waters. People are very concerned they might bring the virus to some of the remote coastal communities that don't have the medical facilities to handle it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/they-should-not-be-going-ashore-u-s-boats-in-b-c-wat...

Vessels entering the United States from a foreign country (Canada) and / or any US citizen having 'contact' with a vessel coming from a foreign country (Canada) MUST report to US Customs for inspection. Failure to present oneself for inspect could result with being charged with 'Illegal Entry' into the United States. An infraction that could reduce the greenbacks in your wallet from $500 to $5000 and a permanent record of your 'illegal entry' will ALWAYS be tied to your name for returning US citizens and a period of or a permanent inadmissibility status into the United States for citizens of other countries.

If you feel lucky, try sneaking into this country without reporting to a sanctioned Port of Entry or better yet, buy a lottery ticket. You will be further ahead and much safer. Good luck with your decision OP.

Lakeside

Why do you think this is about me? I was referring to a problem someone else had getting their boat back to Canada. He couldn't drive a mile from the border to the marina but he could fly from Vancouver to Seattle then charter a San Juan airlines float plane to take him there. BTW. I have had NEXUS for years and used to own a light aircraft which I used to take to the US quite often. I am quite familiar with customs procedures at ports of entry.

Sorry, not about you. I was making general comment about contact with foreign vessels on the open waters. No offense intended toward your post.

Lakeside

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be.Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be. In this case, the fellow was doing maintenance on the boat when the border was closed and had to put it back together before he could return it to Canada.

As an aside, American boaters are quickly getting a bad name in BC because of their using the Alaska loophole to cruise Canadian waters. People are very concerned they might bring the virus to some of the remote coastal communities that don't have the medical facilities to handle it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/they-should-not-be-going-ashore-u-s-boats-in-b-c-wat...

Vessels entering the United States from a foreign country (Canada) and / or any US citizen having 'contact' with a vessel coming from a foreign country (Canada) MUST report to US Customs for inspection. Failure to present oneself for inspect could result with being charged with 'Illegal Entry' into the United States. An infraction that could reduce the greenbacks in your wallet from $500 to $5000 and a permanent record of your 'illegal entry' will ALWAYS be tied to your name for returning US citizens and a period of or a permanent inadmissibility status into the United States for citizens of other countries.

If you feel lucky, try sneaking into this country without reporting to a sanctioned Port of Entry or better yet, buy a lottery ticket. You will be further ahead and much safer. Good luck with your decision OP.

Lakeside

Why do you think this is about me? I was referring to a problem someone else had getting their boat back to Canada. He couldn't drive a mile from the border to the marina but he could fly from Vancouver to Seattle then charter a San Juan airlines float plane to take him there. BTW. I have had NEXUS for years and used to own a light aircraft which I used to take to the US quite often. I am quite familiar with customs procedures at ports of entry.

Sorry, not about you. I was making general comment about contact with foreign vessels on the open waters. No offense intended toward your post.

Lakeside

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

Lakeside

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Seems kinda โ€˜fishyโ€™ (pardon the pun) the Point Roberts Marina is a US Customs Port of Entry.

All he has to do was go in by boat from across the bay.

Great, get busted for entering the country illegally.

You have to clear customs to enter the country, the only way to do that is fly. Pleasure boats are no more exempt than vehicle traffic.

Illegal? How? I think you missed the part where I said the Point Roberts Marina is a Port of Entry, aka a legal border crossing.

As with so many things, border agents have an incredibly broad amount of discretion and a different agent is often a very different answer.

Of course the other simple solution is merely to have someone else bring the boat out off the marina and swap operators on the water.
Of course the other simple solution is merely to have someone else bring the boat out off the marina and swap operators on the water.

Pleasure boats are prohibited from entering the US. You will be turned away just as you would at a land crossing.

Lakeside

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Seems kinda โ€˜fishyโ€™ (pardon the pun) the Point Roberts Marina is a US Customs Port of Entry.

All he has to do was go in by boat from across the bay.

Great, get busted for entering the country illegally.

You have to clear customs to enter the country, the only way to do that is fly. Pleasure boats are no more exempt than vehicle traffic.

Illegal? How? I think you missed the part where I said the Point Roberts Marina is a Port of Entry, aka a legal border crossing.

As with so many things, border agents have an incredibly broad amount of discretion and a different agent is often a very different answer.

Pleasure boats are prohibited from entering the US. You will be turned away just as you would at a land crossing.

Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be. In this case, the fellow was doing maintenance on the boat when the border was closed and had to put it back together before he could return it to Canada.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW