Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: US/Canada border still closed.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

 > US/Canada border still closed.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 07/17/20 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

wilber1 wrote:


Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be.Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be. In this case, the fellow was doing maintenance on the boat when the border was closed and had to put it back together before he could return it to Canada.

As an aside, American boaters are quickly getting a bad name in BC because of their using the Alaska loophole to cruise Canadian waters. People are very concerned they might bring the virus to some of the remote coastal communities that don't have the medical facilities to handle it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c........attle-vancouver-island-boaters-1.5653722



Vessels entering the United States from a foreign country (Canada) and / or any US citizen having 'contact' with a vessel coming from a foreign country (Canada) MUST report to US Customs for inspection. Failure to present oneself for inspect could result with being charged with 'Illegal Entry' into the United States. An infraction that could reduce the greenbacks in your wallet from $500 to $5000 and a permanent record of your 'illegal entry' will ALWAYS be tied to your name for returning US citizens and a period of or a permanent inadmissibility status into the United States for citizens of other countries.

If you feel lucky, try sneaking into this country without reporting to a sanctioned Port of Entry or better yet, buy a lottery ticket. You will be further ahead and much safer. Good luck with your decision OP.

Lakeside


Why do you think this is about me? I was referring to a problem someone else had getting their boat back to Canada. He couldn't drive a mile from the border to the marina but he could fly from Vancouver to Seattle then charter a San Juan airlines float plane to take him there. BTW. I have had NEXUS for years and used to own a light aircraft which I used to take to the US quite often. I am quite familiar with customs procedures at ports of entry.

* This post was edited 07/17/20 06:25pm by wilber1 *


"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

lakeside013104

North America

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/18/20 03:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

lakeside013104 wrote:

wilber1 wrote:


Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be.Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be. In this case, the fellow was doing maintenance on the boat when the border was closed and had to put it back together before he could return it to Canada.

As an aside, American boaters are quickly getting a bad name in BC because of their using the Alaska loophole to cruise Canadian waters. People are very concerned they might bring the virus to some of the remote coastal communities that don't have the medical facilities to handle it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c........attle-vancouver-island-boaters-1.5653722



Vessels entering the United States from a foreign country (Canada) and / or any US citizen having 'contact' with a vessel coming from a foreign country (Canada) MUST report to US Customs for inspection. Failure to present oneself for inspect could result with being charged with 'Illegal Entry' into the United States. An infraction that could reduce the greenbacks in your wallet from $500 to $5000 and a permanent record of your 'illegal entry' will ALWAYS be tied to your name for returning US citizens and a period of or a permanent inadmissibility status into the United States for citizens of other countries.

If you feel lucky, try sneaking into this country without reporting to a sanctioned Port of Entry or better yet, buy a lottery ticket. You will be further ahead and much safer. Good luck with your decision OP.

Lakeside


Why do you think this is about me? I was referring to a problem someone else had getting their boat back to Canada. He couldn't drive a mile from the border to the marina but he could fly from Vancouver to Seattle then charter a San Juan airlines float plane to take him there. BTW. I have had NEXUS for years and used to own a light aircraft which I used to take to the US quite often. I am quite familiar with customs procedures at ports of entry.


Sorry, not about you. I was making general comment about contact with foreign vessels on the open waters. No offense intended toward your post.

Lakeside

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 07/18/20 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

lakeside013104 wrote:

wilber1 wrote:


Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be.Changing operators at sea would be a solution if you had an American who was willing to do it for you. I don't know how legal it would be. In this case, the fellow was doing maintenance on the boat when the border was closed and had to put it back together before he could return it to Canada.

As an aside, American boaters are quickly getting a bad name in BC because of their using the Alaska loophole to cruise Canadian waters. People are very concerned they might bring the virus to some of the remote coastal communities that don't have the medical facilities to handle it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c........attle-vancouver-island-boaters-1.5653722



Vessels entering the United States from a foreign country (Canada) and / or any US citizen having 'contact' with a vessel coming from a foreign country (Canada) MUST report to US Customs for inspection. Failure to present oneself for inspect could result with being charged with 'Illegal Entry' into the United States. An infraction that could reduce the greenbacks in your wallet from $500 to $5000 and a permanent record of your 'illegal entry' will ALWAYS be tied to your name for returning US citizens and a period of or a permanent inadmissibility status into the United States for citizens of other countries.

If you feel lucky, try sneaking into this country without reporting to a sanctioned Port of Entry or better yet, buy a lottery ticket. You will be further ahead and much safer. Good luck with your decision OP.

Lakeside


Why do you think this is about me? I was referring to a problem someone else had getting their boat back to Canada. He couldn't drive a mile from the border to the marina but he could fly from Vancouver to Seattle then charter a San Juan airlines float plane to take him there. BTW. I have had NEXUS for years and used to own a light aircraft which I used to take to the US quite often. I am quite familiar with customs procedures at ports of entry.


Sorry, not about you. I was making general comment about contact with foreign vessels on the open waters. No offense intended toward your post.

Lakeside


No problem but it got me to thinking about it. They would both need an additional boat to do the exchange so each would either need a helper or bring a dingy to get out or get back. If they made the exchange right on the border (pretty easy with GPS) and both reported to their respective customs on return, would it be illegal? Also, would they both have to self quarantine for 14 days after they got back? Beats me.

lakeside013104

North America

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/18/20 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:



No problem but it got me to thinking about it. They would both need an additional boat to do the exchange so each would either need a helper or bring a dingy to get out or get back. If they made the exchange right on the border (pretty easy with GPS) and both reported to their respective customs on return, would it be illegal? Also, would they both have to self quarantine for 14 days after they got back? Beats me.



For all practical purposes, if all parties reported to their respective agencies that should satisfy reporting requirements as long as their vessel was available for further inspection if that was required by U.S. CBP or Canadian CBSA.

As far as the 14 day quarantine, I have no idea. Not a Federal requirement. Seems lately these orders / requirements are issued by state or city authorities.

Good discussion.

Lakeside

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

Senior Member

Joined: 11/21/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/20 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

wilber1 wrote:



No problem but it got me to thinking about it. They would both need an additional boat to do the exchange so each would either need a helper or bring a dingy to get out or get back. If they made the exchange right on the border (pretty easy with GPS) and both reported to their respective customs on return, would it be illegal? Also, would they both have to self quarantine for 14 days after they got back? Beats me.



For all practical purposes, if all parties reported to their respective agencies that should satisfy reporting requirements as long as their vessel was available for further inspection if that was required by U.S. CBP or Canadian CBSA.

As far as the 14 day quarantine, I have no idea. Not a Federal requirement. Seems lately these orders / requirements are issued by state or city authorities.

Good discussion.

Lakeside


I am not trying to be P.I.A...but, you are talking US. In Canada? The quarantine law is indeed a Federal Law. And willingly enforced.


Gary Haupt


I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 07/19/20 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

wilber1 wrote:



No problem but it got me to thinking about it. They would both need an additional boat to do the exchange so each would either need a helper or bring a dingy to get out or get back. If they made the exchange right on the border (pretty easy with GPS) and both reported to their respective customs on return, would it be illegal? Also, would they both have to self quarantine for 14 days after they got back? Beats me.



For all practical purposes, if all parties reported to their respective agencies that should satisfy reporting requirements as long as their vessel was available for further inspection if that was required by U.S. CBP or Canadian CBSA.

As far as the 14 day quarantine, I have no idea. Not a Federal requirement. Seems lately these orders / requirements are issued by state or city authorities.

Good discussion.

Lakeside


With few exceptions (essential workers etc) persons entering Canada are required to self quarantine for 14 days. Persons transiting to Alaska are one of the exceptions, that is why there are strict rules about how how they are to do it. I didn’t know if the US has similar rules. Some neighbours of ours who returned from Arizona in May received a visit from police to see if they were complying.

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/20 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth, sadly we are seeing our numbers climbing past several days in Alberta. We hadn't hit over 100 positives since back on 2nd May until recently, and now it's daily again [emoticon] Sadly the majority are starting to become too complacent about it all.

Using common sense (rumour has it that's a dying trend today!), we've managed to enjoy camping in our wonderful province. Up to Jasper last week, up to Gull Lake this upcoming one. It's semi satisfying our urges.

As much as we love RVing especially in the USA, if keeping our borders closed, coupled with educating "yet again" our society on social distancing, masking, sanitizing, I'm all for it. Life is so precious, and even one death is too many from this dreaded virus.

Life is definitely for living, so be sure to live yours just with some restrictions. Keep your glass half full, and stay safe with happy travels. Remember our forefathers had a lot lot less opportunities than we have even today as we currently are. Let's learn to be satisfied where less can become more.

Orion

Pacific South West

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/20 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we see news stories of places in the US where they actually have signs up saying that you CANNOT enter wearing a mask, makes me think that it will be a while before the border is opened!


Everyone has an accent, Yes, even you! ">

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 07/19/20 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orion wrote:

When we see news stories of places in the US where they actually have signs up saying that you CANNOT enter wearing a mask, makes me think that it will be a while before the border is opened!


Wow, that is absolute stupidity denying enter if wearing a mask. I wonder if those store owners were born brain dead.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/20 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

Orion wrote:

When we see news stories of places in the US where they actually have signs up saying that you CANNOT enter wearing a mask, makes me think that it will be a while before the border is opened!


Wow, that is absolute stupidity denying enter if wearing a mask. I wonder if those store owners were born brain dead.


Ummm, waste three minutes of your life and watch Fox News. Your question will be answered.

* This post was edited 07/19/20 03:35pm by Reisender *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

 > US/Canada border still closed.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.