cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step out dash light sensor

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Returning from a trip the warning light for the steps being out came on. Steps were fine. So I get under there and it looks like the part of the sensor with the wires is there but the piece that it is supposed to contact when closed is gone. So far I have been unable to find any reference to this to either buy new or fix it. I noticed before a long time ago that it looked like whatever it was was attached with 2 sided tape and is now gone....Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm late to this party but a small earth magnet from Harbor Freight will work. Earth magnets are more powerful than regular ones.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Worked with a magnet, big one, so I just ordered the new assembly. Guess I couldn't find it because I didn't know what to call it. Thanks Drew & Doug

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks to those that are helpful especially Doug who always seems to come through. Also explains the double sided tape. I will try this today and thanks.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
kdk wrote:
Call Lipert components (LCI) and they can probably help as they manufacture most of the RV steps.

While they build the steps, they do not supply or build the "Step OUT" system. That is designed and installed by the RV OEM. Usually the step out system is a simple Magnet and 2 wires. The Magnet system is usually just a extra Step door magnet or one that is used on the windows or doors of a home security system. You just need to know if the magnet assbly is "Normally Closed" or "Normally Open". Since the Wires are still there this just needs a new magnet which is any type magnet. Doug

https://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-369299-Magnetic-Switch-Step/dp/B01DK1EU38/ref=asc_df_B01DK1EU38/?tag=b...

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
On my step, which of course may not be anything like yours, that switch is a reed switch and the moving bit that attaches to the motor assembly to activate it is a magnet. I did have to reglue my magnet in place not too long ago, for what it's worth.

You can easily test to see if it's a reed switch by holding a magnet near it and seeing if it actuates. If it is, there's nothign particularly important about what magnet you use (provided it's of an appropriate strength--a cheap flexible fridge magnet probably wouldn't work, for instance), so it should not be too hard to figure out something that works with a bit of experimentation.

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Call Lipert components (LCI) and they can probably help as they manufacture most of the RV steps.
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Year, manufacturer, model, pictures?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Returning from a trip the warning light for the steps being out came on. Steps were fine. So I get under there and it looks like the part of the sensor with the wires is there but the piece that it is supposed to contact when closed is gone. So far I have been unable to find any reference to this to either buy new or fix it. I noticed before a long time ago that it looked like whatever it was was attached with 2 sided tape and is now gone....Any ideas?

Forget about it. Stick a red bandana on it....when you can't see the bandana, the step is in.

Just kidding, of course. You'll need to make something to protect the new switch from debris....a simple piece of scrap metal screwed in place might suffice.