Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake controller cabling for RPod 179

kaka1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
New member here. I'm trying to outfit my Honda Odyssey to tow an RPod (under 3,500 lbs). I appreciate assistance on my electrical installation question. For the 7-pin connector, there's supposed to be a cable (black, I think?) that needs to be connected directly to the minivan battery via a breaker.
I gathered that the cable should be 10 gauge. What's the minimum breaker size I should have? I've seen recommendations ranging from 30-40AMP. I suppose 30AMP is fine as I don't expect that the camper will need a lot of current while it is connected to the tow vehicle. Right?

Thank!
7 REPLIES 7

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
While you are at it... Put a circuit breaker in the camper to disconnect the battery from the vehicle plug. This will disconnect 12 volt power from the plug so there is no electrical "potential" at the plug: positive and negative charges. This should greatly reduce the trailer plug from turning green and corroding over time.

You can connect to the vehicle battery, but I generally do not like to connect things to the terminals. Find power in the fuse box under the hood, or connect to the alternator or even to the starter motor if it is in a good place. On trucks the starter is perfect, but on a van you might have a sideways engine and strange things going on....

Agree on the 30-40 amp breaker on thick wire.
You alternator will put out 90-130 amps probably, but all those amps will not be going to the trailer, so a reduced breaker of 30-40 is good. #10 will protect the wire, and your trailer will not require more than 30.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
ADVICE
Rinse the wire inside a length of sliced garden hose. Use the side opposite the exhaust

kaka1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks. I will replace.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
It's better to use a 30A breaker on 10g wire. The breaker is to protect the wire and 10g wire is generally good for 30A. If the 12 Volts from the tow vehicle is hot when the vehicle is not running, then you would want to disconnect the 7 pin connector when the vehicle is not running or you can install a relay to disconnect the power automatically when the vehicle is not running.

kaka1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Matt.
I'd purchased a 40amp breaker already. Would it be safe to use it in the circuit instead of a 30A?

From what you shared, it sounds like I should disconnect the 7pin connector when my minivan is off in order to avoid draining my battery...

bikeandan - yea right now I only have a tow receiver and just installed a transmission cooler. Tackling electrical right now...

Thanks!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Kaka,

Hang on here a moment....

The real function of that solid 12V to the trailer is to charge the trailer's house battery. Fortunately, the long run of cable will limit the charge current and the breaker (30 amp is safe) will keep it from burning up the cable or the plug contacts.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
kaka1 wrote:
Hello!
New member here. I'm trying to outfit my Honda Odyssey to tow an RPod (under 3,500 lbs). I appreciate assistance on my electrical installation question. For the 7-pin connector, there's supposed to be a cable (black, I think?) that needs to be connected directly to the minivan battery via a breaker.
I gathered that the cable should be 10 gauge. What's the minimum breaker size I should have? I've seen recommendations ranging from 30-40AMP. I suppose 30AMP is fine as I don't expect that the camper will need a lot of current while it is connected to the tow vehicle. Right?

Thank!

so, it sounds like your Honda doesn't have the factory tow package, correct?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes