Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Generator/Shore Power Work, Battery Power Doesn't
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Generator/Shore Power Work, Battery Power Doesn't

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Understanding better how the transformer works Here's a few more things to check. Start with the easy things. There is a yellow button on the general purpose breaker. I'm wondering if it's a GFCI. If you plug into shore power and press that yellow button does anything suddenly start working?

On the front of the panel is a charge sentinel light. When plugged into shore power does that light do anything? Does the light come on, on and blink fast, on and blink slow, or stay off?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In this picture are three arrows.

What color is the wire that the green arrow is pointing to? Where does that wire after it goes through the hole on the left?

The red and blue arrows are pointing to wire connections at the back of the charge sentinel light.

If you plug in shore power how many volts are on the red arrow?

While still plugged in to shore power how many volts are on the blue arrow?
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I have located the Progressive Dynamics Service Manual for your PD734Q Power Center and you can download it by clicking on the following link: Service Manual

Please read the section on page 3: How the converter works. Also note that there is a separate Transformer Module as shown on page 17. Your unit has option R which includes the relay rather than option F which incorporates a manual switch. The document contains a lot of trouble shooting information that may help you isolate the problem.

* This post was edited 07/19/20 07:37pm by whemme *

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

gotsmart

a bit too late though

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP has a 734Q series unit. Here are 3 PD links for it from here:

Owners Manual

Service Manual

Basic Operation Guide

BrocNeal

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Understanding better how the transformer works Here's a few more things to check. Start with the easy things. There is a yellow button on the general purpose breaker. I'm wondering if it's a GFCI. If you plug into shore power and press that yellow button does anything suddenly start working?

On the front of the panel is a charge sentinel light. When plugged into shore power does that light do anything? Does the light come on, on and blink fast, on and blink slow, or stay off?

I tried the yellow button and nothing happened. Then I checked the light and it wasn't lit up or anything.

BrocNeal

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

In this picture are three arrows.

What color is the wire that the green arrow is pointing to? Where does that wire after it goes through the hole on the left?

The red and blue arrows are pointing to wire connections at the back of the charge sentinel light.

If you plug in shore power how many volts are on the red arrow?

While still plugged in to shore power how many volts are on the blue arrow?
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

So the wire is just a copper wire that ends on a board with about 8 other wires on it. Then the Red and blue wire both read 12.57 plugged in

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BrocNeal,

Things to check now that you have the service manual to reference.

1) Using a voltmeter against ground, check the voltage on the blue wire going to the battery charger board when either plugged into shoreline power or with generator running. If it reads around +16 vdc or so that is good showing that the dc output from the transformer module is good.
2) Then check for dc voltage on the two orange wires going to the Auto Breaker. You should have around +14 vdc on both orange leads. If no dc voltage on either orange lead, then the battery charger pc board is bad an must be replaced, If dc voltage exists on one orange lead but not the other, than the Auto Breaker is open and must be replaced.

BrocNeal

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme wrote:

BrocNeal,

Things to check now that you have the service manual to reference.

1) Using a voltmeter against ground, check the voltage on the blue wire going to the battery charger board when either plugged into shoreline power or with generator running. If it reads around +16 vdc or so that is good showing that the dc output from the transformer module is good.
2) Then check for dc voltage on the two orange wires going to the Auto Breaker. You should have around +14 vdc on both orange leads. If no dc voltage on either orange lead, then the battery charger pc board is bad an must be replaced, If dc voltage exists on one orange lead but not the other, than the Auto Breaker is open and must be replaced.

So mine doesnt have a blue wire going to the charge board. But I don't have 16 going into it anywhere. Then the 2 orangeish wires I have going anywhere go to a circuit breaker and I have 12.48 going to both posts on that. Looking at the manual, I should have a light doing something if the charger was working. And I have no light whatsoever no matter what it's doing. So I dont know if that means the charger is bad and that's my problem with my lights or what.

BrocNeal

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
[image]
So I Went out and tested voltage again and found this While plugged into shore power. I thought it was weird and then after a few it jumped up to the 14.28 on one side that it was before, and then it stopped and never went back up to that number and would lie somewhere between .15-.5. That definitely doesn't seem normal to me. Then after it dropped I tested it again and the center post on the battery side shows a negative like something is crossed or something if that makes sense. Its only done that when the voltage dropped, but all 4 other posts show a positive charge. I haven't messed with any of the wiring in there and it doesn't look like anyone has. So am I crazy?

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

So am I crazy?

No not yet , you have to have a thread go 8 pages to qualify for that. Be patient , we will get you there. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Generator/Shore Power Work, Battery Power Doesn't
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.