Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Generator/Shore Power Work, Battery Power Doesn't
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Generator/Shore Power Work, Battery Power Doesn't

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/21/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if that was the battery charger trying to run? Maybe try something simple. Unplug the two white wire connectors and plug them back in making sure they're tight. Does anything change?


2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

whemme

Spencer, IA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/26/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/21/20 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BrocNeal wrote:


So mine doesnt have a blue wire going to the charge board. But I don't have 16 going into it anywhere. Then the 2 orangeish wires I have going anywhere go to a circuit breaker and I have 12.48 going to both posts on that. Looking at the manual, I should have a light doing something if the charger was working. And I have no light whatsoever no matter what it's doing. So I dont know if that means the charger is bad and that's my problem with my lights or what.

BrocNeal,

Both pages 3 and 20 of the service manual show a blue wire going into the battery charger PC board. Why you don't or can't find that blue wire is a puzzle. However, at this point I believe the 14.28 vdc you are measuring on the orange wires on both terminals of the Auto Breaker is actually the voltage coming from your batteries and not the voltage being generated by the battery charging circuit.

So, do this next. Temporarily disconnect all leads going to the positive terminals of of your batteries. Then connect up to shoreline power (you won't now be abe to start your generator). Then measure the voltage on the two orange wires and post what it is. Then please find the blue wire (or what ever the color is in your system) that connects the blue wire input to the battery charger pc board as shown on page 20 of the manual. Then measure that voltage going into the battery charger board. If you have significant voltage there but no voltage on the orange wires then that tells me that your battery charger pc board is bad and you need to find a replacement board.


2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 02/26/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/22/20 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a general statement here without reading through every little detail.

When exclusively on shore power plugged into 110V (main engine off, generator off) if you are getting a voltage reading higher than battery voltage on any terminal, then your converter (wherever it is) is working.


2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow


BrocNeal

Utah

New Member

Joined: 07/13/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/22/20 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme wrote:

BrocNeal wrote:


So mine doesnt have a blue wire going to the charge board. But I don't have 16 going into it anywhere. Then the 2 orangeish wires I have going anywhere go to a circuit breaker and I have 12.48 going to both posts on that. Looking at the manual, I should have a light doing something if the charger was working. And I have no light whatsoever no matter what it's doing. So I dont know if that means the charger is bad and that's my problem with my lights or what.

BrocNeal,

Both pages 3 and 20 of the service manual show a blue wire going into the battery charger PC board. Why you don't or can't find that blue wire is a puzzle. However, at this point I believe the 14.28 vdc you are measuring on the orange wires on both terminals of the Auto Breaker is actually the voltage coming from your batteries and not the voltage being generated by the battery charging circuit.

So, do this next. Temporarily disconnect all leads going to the positive terminals of of your batteries. Then connect up to shoreline power (you won't now be abe to start your generator). Then measure the voltage on the two orange wires and post what it is. Then please find the blue wire (or what ever the color is in your system) that connects the blue wire input to the battery charger pc board as shown on page 20 of the manual. Then measure that voltage going into the battery charger board. If you have significant voltage there but no voltage on the orange wires then that tells me that your battery charger pc board is bad and you need to find a replacement board.

[image]

So I did as you said to and disconnected the batteries and took voltage readings after I did that. So, the two orange posts read between 9.4-11.5 without the batteries hooked up. Then the wires going into the charge board, 4/5 read the same 9.4-11.5. Then the top wire, which ended up being white, read 22.8. I have the picture attached that show the readings on the relay that switches power over as well. Then hooked the batteries back up and they read the same as before.

whemme

Spencer, IA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/26/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/22/20 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that means to me if your voltmeter connections were correct that the 22 vdc coming into the battery charger PC board would appear to be somewhat normal so the transformer module seems to be working OK. However the 9.4 to 11.5 vdc coming out of the charger board is way too low to cause any charge to your batteries. Also if there was any significant battery charging current coming out of the charger board, that LED indicator light as shown in the schematic on page 20 of the manual would be illuminated which it isn’t. My conclusion again is that the charger PC board is toast.

BrocNeal

Utah

New Member

Joined: 07/13/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/22/20 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme wrote:

Well that means to me if your voltmeter connections were correct that the 22 vdc coming into the battery charger PC board would appear to be somewhat normal so the transformer module seems to be working OK. However the 9.4 to 11.5 vdc coming out of the charger board is way too low to cause any charge to your batteries. Also if there was any significant battery charging current coming out of the charger board, that LED indicator light as shown in the schematic on page 20 of the manual would be illuminated which it isn’t. My conclusion again is that the charger PC board is toast.


That's kinda what I'm starting to think. So let me see if I understand the board correctly (This is my first RV and I'm only 24 so I'm still learning, but doing my best). I assume just by looking at it, the power comes in from the top 1 or 2 wires in the plug, goes through the board, and then goes out through the bottom 3 wires into the relay and everything?

whemme

Spencer, IA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/26/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/23/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I am not there to actually trace out each wire connection to the battery charger PC board, I can’t tell by looking at your photos which are power input wires and which are power output wires to the board. On one of the manual pages it references sending in the board for factory repair at $22.00 plus return freight charges. Since this manual is rather dated, I would contact Progressive Dynamics to see if they still repair this board or have replacements and the current costs.

It appears that the board can be removed by unplugging the 6-pin connector and removing a couple of mounting screws.

* This post was edited 07/23/20 11:56am by whemme *

whemme

Spencer, IA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/26/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/23/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BrocNeal,

Just for my own interest I contacted Progressive Dynamics about availability of repair of battery charger PC boards or replacements. I have copied the email I sent and the email I got back from Andy at the factory below.

-----Original Message-----
From: William R Hemme
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:03 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: PD734Q Repair

Does Progressive Dynamics still repair or have replacement battery charger
PC boards for the PD734Q RV power center?

Bill Hemme


-----Return Message-----
Andy Giesen
RE: PD734Q Repair
To: Bill Hemme

Hello,
We do not repair the charger boards.

I found a 6 pin charger board in our old inventory. I am not even
positive it works as I have no way of testing now.
It should work though.

I am happy send it out to you at no charge

I will put it in the mail and send it to the address on Elmwood dr.

Let me know how it works for you.

Andy

I emailed Andy back to not send the board to me and I would contact you about it. Please contact Andy at his email address [email protected] if you want to receive this board free of charge. This of course assumes that your board is the model with a connector that has slots for 6 pins. Best I can tell from your photos is that describes your board.

* This post was last edited 07/28/20 03:25am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme, nice job. Good deeds don't go unnoticed. You have restored my faith and that's important to me in this world we live today.

BrocNeal

Utah

New Member

Joined: 07/13/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme wrote:

BrocNeal,

Just for my own interest I contacted Progressive Dynamics about availability of repair of battery charger PC boards or replacements. I have copied the email I sent and the email I got back from Andy at the factory below.

-----Original Message-----
From: William R Hemme
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:03 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: PD734Q Repair

Does Progressive Dynamics still repair or have replacement battery charger
PC boards for the PD734Q RV power center?

Bill Hemme


-----Return Message-----
Andy Giesen
RE: PD734Q Repair
To: Bill Hemme

Hello,
We do not repair the charger boards.

I found a 6 pin charger board in our old inventory. I am not even
positive it works as I have no way of testing now.
It should work though.

I am happy send it out to you at no charge

I will put it in the mail and send it to the address on Elmwood dr.

Let me know how it works for you.

Andy

I emailed Andy back to not send the board to me and I would contact you about it. Please contact Andy at his email address [email protected] if you want to receive this board free of charge. This of course assumes that your board is the model with a connector that has slots for 6 pins. Best I can tell from your photos is that describes your board.

Sorry I'm just getting back to you, I had a chance to email him yesterday and I haven't heard anything back yet, so he may have already sent it to you. But either way, thank you for reaching out for me, you're awesome! I'm really thinking that's my issue so hopefully I hear back from him!

* This post was edited 07/28/20 03:26am by an administrator/moderator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Generator/Shore Power Work, Battery Power Doesn't
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.