Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2021 Ford Bronco
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2021 Ford Bronco

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 07/14/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexleblanc wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

I was excited about it until I learned it was IFS which is not ideal for the kind of off roading I do. I will stick with my JK.
The Hummer H3 was another IFS with front lockers and it was even worse than the FJ.

Folks seem to love the Toyota 4Runner, FJ and Tacomas just fine, not reason this can't be a performer offroad. Its less of a compromise to live with than a Solid front axle rig.



Not all of those had front lockers. The only one of those that had a front locker with IFS was the FJ and they were known for busting axle shafts which even the FJ guys will tell you (LINK).

In the kind of rock crawling off roading I do, you see broken IFS front end parts all over the trails especially ones with front lockers. These parts(which are much smaller and weaker than SFA) will wear a lot quicker and are not as reliable off road as the solid axles. The problem gets worse when you start adding larger and heavier tires. I can't tell you how many times our group has had to go around an obstacle because an IFS with lockers grenaded trying to go up.

Then there is the fact of less traction on technical obstacles. IFS's will generally have one tire off the ground to where a solid axle will have both on the ground aiding traction. This is also one of the reason why they grenade. Since only one wheel has traction, the driver has to apply more throttle and starts to hop because the components are in a bind. This hopping and acceleration is not good for axle shafts since only one tire has all the weight and traction on the front end. IFS's without lockers do not tend to grenade as often, but cannot go up the really technical obstacles that lockers can.


Not saying it can't do it, it is just not ideal and is better suited for fast off roading where IFS shines over solid axles.

* This post was last edited 07/14/20 08:26am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/10/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/14/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to look it up but IFS is Independent Front Suspension. You're welcome.


Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/14/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

alexleblanc wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

I was excited about it until I learned it was IFS which is not ideal for the kind of off roading I do. I will stick with my JK.
The Hummer H3 was another IFS with front lockers and it was even worse than the FJ.

Folks seem to love the Toyota 4Runner, FJ and Tacomas just fine, not reason this can't be a performer offroad. Its less of a compromise to live with than a Solid front axle rig.



Not all of those had front lockers. The only one of those that had a front locker with IFS was the FJ and they were known for busting axle shafts which even the FJ guys will tell you (LINK).

In the kind of rock crawling off roading I do, you see broken IFS front end parts all over the trails especially ones with front lockers. These parts(which are much smaller and weaker than SFA) will wear a lot quicker and are not as reliable off road as the solid axles. The problem gets worse when you start adding larger and heavier tires. I can't tell you how many times our group has had to go around an obstacle because an IFS with lockers grenaded trying to go up.

Then there is the fact of less traction on technical obstacles. IFS's will generally have one tire off the ground to where a solid axle will have both on the ground aiding traction. This is also one of the reason why they grenade. Since only one wheel has traction, the driver has to apply more throttle and starts to hop because the components are in a bind. This hopping and acceleration is not good for axle shafts since only one tire has all the weight and traction on the front end. IFS's without lockers do not tend to grenade as often, but cannot go up the really technical obstacles that lockers can.


Not saying it can't do it, it is just not ideal and is better suited for fast off roading where IFS shines over solid axles.


For our off road and daily driver needs a IFS could be the ticket, but will need to test drive to confirm. I would like a soft long travel suspension which it appears how the Bronco is setup.

We came close to pulling the trigger on a Jeep Wrangler but with a few things we didn't like about it, and knowing the Bronco was coming we decided to hold off. Based on what I've seen we made the right decision.


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/14/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's some comparisons of the Bronco vs the Jeep. Also Jeep advertised hinting with adding a 392 Hemi to the engine list.

Link

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 07/14/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:


For our off road and daily driver needs a IFS could be the ticket, but will need to test drive to confirm. I would like a soft long travel suspension which it appears how the Bronco is setup.

We came close to pulling the trigger on a Jeep Wrangler but with a few things we didn't like about it, and knowing the Bronco was coming we decided to hold off. Based on what I've seen we made the right decision.


The Bronco doesn't even have a mid-travel suspension let alone a long travel suspension. Heck, even the Raptor doesn't have a mid-travel suspension, but it is very close. If you are gonna use this vehicle as a daily/mall crawler that is not going to do any heavy rock crawling then IFS is the way to go. It will be noticeably smoother than a solid axle Jeep that you would have to throw a grand or so into for the same smoothness. If you do decide to take it on some serious trails, then make sure you bring along spare parts and/or upgrade to stronger materials if they have a lot of miles on them.

* This post was edited 07/14/20 06:26pm by ShinerBock *

mich800

Pontiac, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/14/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:


For our off road and daily driver needs a IFS could be the ticket, but will need to test drive to confirm. I would like a soft long travel suspension which it appears how the Bronco is setup.

We came close to pulling the trigger on a Jeep Wrangler but with a few things we didn't like about it, and knowing the Bronco was coming we decided to hold off. Based on what I've seen we made the right decision.


The Bronco doesn't even have a mid-travel suspension let alone a long travel suspension. Heck, even the Raptor doesn't have a mid-travel suspension, but it is very close. If you are gonna use this vehicle as a daily/mall crawler that is not going to do any heavy rock crawling then IFS is the way to go. It will be noticeably smoother than a solid axle Jeep that you would have to throw a grand or so into for the same smoothness. If you do decide to take it on some serious trails, then make sure you bring along spare parts and/or upgrade to stronger materials if they have a lot of miles on them.


Not everyone does rock crawling for their off road adventures. The trade off is pretty high between that ability and on road manners. I drive Wranglers/Renegades probably 1000 miles per week for work and they suck on the highway. For the trails I travel the IFS is a much better compromise. But I have not been able to test the Bronco yet to do a direct comparison.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 07/14/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:


For our off road and daily driver needs a IFS could be the ticket, but will need to test drive to confirm. I would like a soft long travel suspension which it appears how the Bronco is setup.

We came close to pulling the trigger on a Jeep Wrangler but with a few things we didn't like about it, and knowing the Bronco was coming we decided to hold off. Based on what I've seen we made the right decision.


The Bronco doesn't even have a mid-travel suspension let alone a long travel suspension. Heck, even the Raptor doesn't have a mid-travel suspension, but it is very close. If you are gonna use this vehicle as a daily/mall crawler that is not going to do any heavy rock crawling then IFS is the way to go. It will be noticeably smoother than a solid axle Jeep that you would have to throw a grand or so into for the same smoothness. If you do decide to take it on some serious trails, then make sure you bring along spare parts and/or upgrade to stronger materials if they have a lot of miles on them.


Not everyone does rock crawling for their off road adventures. The trade off is pretty high between that ability and on road manners. I drive Wranglers/Renegades probably 1000 miles per week for work and they suck on the highway. For the trails I travel the IFS is a much better compromise. But I have not been able to test the Bronco yet to do a direct comparison.


I understand that. Not downing the Bronco. It is just not ideal for the way I off road. No doubt an IFS is more comfortable for those that need that, but it is just not as capable or as strong. Another thing I hate about IFS's off road is that they teeter totter on a lot of obstacles which is an uneasy feeling.

It is like the GM HDs. No doubt they give their trucks a more comfortable ride stock, but it is not as strong/reliable as solid axles of the Ford and Ram HDs when you start adding bigger tires and heavy off roading. They also cannot take the abuse that a solid axle can which is why it is common for the GM HD front ends to snap on the track or at truck pulls.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 07/14/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be willing to bet the majority of them will never go off road or a gravel road at most.

There is a bunch of Rubicon Jeeps in town that have never seen a trail.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/14/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:


For our off road and daily driver needs a IFS could be the ticket, but will need to test drive to confirm. I would like a soft long travel suspension which it appears how the Bronco is setup.

We came close to pulling the trigger on a Jeep Wrangler but with a few things we didn't like about it, and knowing the Bronco was coming we decided to hold off. Based on what I've seen we made the right decision.


The Bronco doesn't even have a mid-travel suspension let alone a long travel suspension. Heck, even the Raptor doesn't have a mid-travel suspension, but it is very close. If you are gonna use this vehicle as a daily/mall crawler that is not going to do any heavy rock crawling then IFS is the way to go. It will be noticeably smoother than a solid axle Jeep that you would have to throw a grand or so into for the same smoothness. If you do decide to take it on some serious trails, then make sure you bring along spare parts and/or upgrade to stronger materials if they have a lot of miles on them.


I'm sure there's plenty of Rubicons at the malls and I'm sure this Bronco will be more than capable of handling my dirt roads and pulling my 22ft bay boat. This vehicle will be my wifes daily driver as well so no routine rock climbing here. [emoticon]

manley

Wichita Falls, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 12/29/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/14/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The engine options are disappointing.


2018 F150 XLT FX4 SCREW Ecoboost 3.5L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2021 Ford Bronco
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.