cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Momentum vs others floor decking

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I like the G class Momentums, but they use 1" "marine grade" OSB decking that has a 25 year warranty (for what that's worth). They also have extended warranties on other components such as axles, graphics and roofing (again, for what it's worth and how they'd try to deny coverage)

I also like the KZ Venom V-series and they use 5/8 tongue & groove plywood decking but only offers a two year warranty on the entire camper based on my conversation with a KZ rep.

Should I realistically be too concerned with the floor decking material?
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
6 REPLIES 6

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
Wife and I like the G class Momentums, but they use that has a 25 year warranty 1" "marine grade" OSB decking...

That is a BS "marketing term" ! It is 1" because OSB sags moire than plywood.

patperry2766 wrote:
Should I realistically be too concerned with the floor decking material?

jdc1 wrote:
Flooring substrate? It will last forever....if it is never exposed to moisture.

I concur with jdc1 !

If you want a real water resistant floor, it need to be 3/4" honeycomb with fiberglass on both sides. Yes, $$$ !

IMHO, the best roofing material is COMMERCIAL GRADE TPO (?60 mil). All seams and edges must be first reinforced with TPO flashing tape. Any roof protrusions need to be mounted on "curbs" raised up above the roof surface and flashed with pre-formed TPO. TPO is "heat welded" together. Again, $$$ !!

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
It does sound like their warranty is really just a bunch of smoke and mirrors

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Marine Grade Plywood...would be a great option. Yes, floors rotting are a common issue and not usually covered under warranty because they will blame you for not doing maintenance.

A lot of mid-size highway signs are made of Marine Grade Plywood and they have a life expectancy of 15yrs before replacement in full exposure to the weather. I've seen the old ones come down and the wood is typically in perfect shape (the reflectivity of the sheeting is what is worn out). It's not cheap though. I would expect it to add around $1000 for a 35-40ft RV in material costs.

No idea what MARINE GRADE OSB is...never heard of it before (and can't find it on the internet), so I don't know if it's remotely close to marine grade plywood. I suspect not. Be careful that they give you the actual specs and you check them out as companies like to use marketing terms that sound like they are using specs but are worded slightly different.

The rest of the warranty stuff...that's mostly marketing. Expect to be low priority for the dealer when they have cash customers and they will deal with you when they get around to it...assuming they can't find a reason to deny the claim.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, there are a lot of hoops to jump thru to maintain the "extended" warranties per the GD rep I just spoke with....my words, not his.

Wheel bearings have to be repacked 12mo/12K miles for axle warranty

Roof has to be inspected and "cap sealed" whatever that means on a yearly basis for the roofing warranty

It is a 1 year warranty B2B, some appliances have a 2 year warranty and a 3 year structural warranty.

He did say that the Reese Goosebox is the only approved ball conversion approved by Lippert for all their 5th wheels.

As far as hauling, it would be mainly things that were normally in the bed of the truck that space would be lost because of the 5th wheel. Bicycles, ice chest, stuff like that. Eventually maybe a motorcycle, ATV or SxS

Y-Guy
What are you planning to haul is a big factor, I'm not sure of the weight allowances of those two units. You'd have to read the warranty details of the decking on the Momentum, to really understand it. I was disappointed when they went to the 1 year warranty, that is a big plus to the KZ.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roof? Membrane only, and you have to show proof of maintenance. Flooring substrate? It will last forever....if it is never exposed to moisture. Both of those things are next to impossible to do. If you climb on the roof, your warranty can be voided. If it rains and water hits that OSB, your warranty is voided. If you bring in your toy while it's wet, you can void your warranty.